Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

What are my chances...
Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Unhappy What are my chances...

of walking away without points on my licence when I just got a + 15 mph speeding ticket and another one for driving while suspended.

I found out I was suspended because I forgot to pay for my NJ insurance surcharge.

Can I do this without getting a lawyer and throwing my savings away or is it a must to get a lawyer to whom I'll still be throwing my savings away to?

P.S. The speeding ticket wasn't on the bike, it was on that stretch before the Pulaski skyway in my car.

--------------------------------------------------

Update: 05/08/06
I was looking forward to update this thread, but I've been so busy it took me 4 days to get to it.

My court date was pushed back to 5/4/06. I took my chances without a lawyer just to try and minimize outgoing funds since I'm due to get married this coming Sunday.

In any case, the judge called me up. It went something like this:

judge: It says here you have a summons for driving while suspended. Is that correct?
me: Yes your honor.
judge: Did you get it restored?
me: Yes your honor.
judge: Go speak to the prosecutor.

prosecutor: ok... taking his time looking at the two tickets.
me: just about crapping bricks
procesutor: we'll dismiss the second ticket. It was good that you got your license restored. Have a seat and the judge will call you up.

Judge calls me up.
judge: I see the prosecutor dismissed your second ticket. The fine is 100 plus 30 for the court fees, and 3 for computer work, etc. goodbye.

So the total for the day in court totalled 133.00 with no suspension. I'm sure something will come up again on my insurance surcharge, but at least I can still drive and ride the rest of the summer... woohoo!

Last edited by SilverDragon; 05-08-2006 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

You'll need to talk to the prosecutor in person and see if he will knock it down. If this is your first time you might be able to get it knocked down, but the cop has to agree. I don't have my lawyer's diary with me, but I will be able to tell you on Tuesday what you possibly can request instead of the pointed ticket. Either way you will have to pay a fine & court fees.

***Just for FYI***
NJ Point System
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_viola..._pnf.html#NJSA

Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

Been there , done that. I figure your chances are ...................zero

ROADRASH IS LIKE A STD, YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF YOU WORE PROTECTION !
Saxon's "little" big brother,older,wiser, FASTER
CycleMadness Motorcycle Repair
Belvidere NJ (908)475-2332
Mon-Wed 7pm-10pm Sat. 9am-5pm

Jesus may love you, but I think you're a cunt!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

gerard that's a tough one..you may have to get a lawyer for this they normally run 400-500 on a case if it is more let me know i have a great lawyer to refer to you....if you got stopped without a suspendend lisence the yes def get away with no points. but with a suspended liscense...that's trouble...this may be a 1000 dollar ticket after all lawyer fees and ticket fees and court fees...

Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

being this isnt your 1st moving violation (being your paying insurance surcharges) your gonna pay for either or and im more leaning against you paying for the speeding ticket and getting points. and getting off on the suspended of the license violation.

one ticket knocks the other ticket out.

you may even get off on the speeding and points ticket and get banged for the suspended license ticket and take an additional depending on the prosecuter but between 30 days to 6 months additional loss of license but like i said before your more then likely gonna get points.

hope everything works out for the best, keep us posted though.

**EDITED**

i remember my cousin getting off on 2 tickets 1 being the speeding and i forgot what the other ticket was for but he told the judge and prosecutor that if he did the speed limit on the pulaski skyway and heading towards the pulaski skyway your chances of getting yourself into an accident are 75% greater because no one EVER does the 35 MPH speed limit on the skyway. and its the truth you can stand there hiddin with a radar and 999 out of 1000 cars, suv's on the skyway are 15 to 20 MPH over the speed limit and in some cases a lot are going 25+ MPH over the speed limit.

people are so much craizer on the skyway and towards the skyway.

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Last edited by John712; 04-16-2006 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Well if it was just a speeding ticket I would just go and talk to the prosecutor. But being that you got hit for driving on the suspended list, time to talk to a lawyer. Like the others said they may attempt to suspend your license from 30 days to 6 months. Good luck with it.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 04-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

driving while suspeded probably wont be a problem, they will say it was "administrative contempt" or something along those lines, which amounts to the AISC screwing up, but there are still fines/fees to pay.. 15+ over speeding in addition to that might be tough, you can probably knock it down to a <15 violation but to remove it altogther is going to be tough especially considering your record.

I would see what you could do on your own the first time, and if the prosecutor isnt willing to work with you ask for an adjournment so you have the opportunity to get a lawyer.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable
driving while suspeded probably wont be a problem, they will say it was "administrative contempt" or something along those lines, which amounts to the AISC screwing up, but there are still fines/fees to pay.. 15+ over speeding in addition to that might be tough, you can probably knock it down to a <15 violation but to remove it altogther is going to be tough especially considering your record.

I would see what you could do on your own the first time, and if the prosecutor isnt willing to work with you ask for an adjournment so you have the opportunity to get a lawyer.
Yup, and here in jersey here's the following. 1-15 = 2 points. So depending on what you got, they'll drop it 2 points. Meaning if you have a 4 point ticket, the prosecutor will MOST likely drop it to a 2 point. And from a 2 point to a 0 point. But from a 2 point to 0 points, it will be a unsafe driving ticket which is "39:4-97.2 Unsafe Driving"
You are only allowed to have 2 of them within 5 years. The third time would be 4 points on your license. But it is a hefty fine. As far as your license being suspended. It really depends on the prosecutor's mood. With a lawyer, he'll be able to drop it without a problem.

What a lawyer does is ask them to merge tickets. Its like bargaining, In honesty, i don't think you'll have a problem with any of this by yourself. I was outside a court room once and i over heard a lawyer asking other lawyers what he should do. And they told him to go for the 39:4-97.2 ( read thirty nine four dash nintey-seven two) its funny cause the lawyer didn't know what it is. I just turned around and started to laugh, i was thinking, sucks for the chump who hired this sucker.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Thanks for the info guys... I appreciate it. I like the idea of trying it out myself first, and then getting a lawyer if I need one.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
JasonB
.doosh

Send a message via AIM to JasonB Send a message via Yahoo to JasonB

I would get a lawyer because you have a chance of getting your license suspension for the additional 30 - 6 months
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~ View Post
Jason is one good looking black man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~Today 04:29 PM
you are a hot black man in my book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
but instead i"m sitting in an airport internet chatting with a two bald men, one former gangbanger who drives a volvo and the other who thinks he's monk
1999 Red Kawasaki ZX6R – Sold
2001 Black and Silver GSX-R1000 - Sold
2007 Blue GSXR 600 - Sold
2006 Black GSXR 600 – Sold
2008 Blue and Orange Yamaha R6 – Current track bike
TPM/Nesba #819

Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

step one: pull down pants
step two: apply KY
Step three: prepare to take it in the ass

My guess is your screwed unless you get a lawyer or the prosecuter is not an asshole

Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

quick update. I at least took care of the license suspension today, so I can ride for now at least my court date.

The lady at the DMV in Trenton mentioned to possibly ask the judge/procecutor to lower the summons to a "no showing papers" and to show them the paperwork stating that I took care of the suspension as soon as possible. We'll see if that helps anything.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
gsxryager024
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to gsxryager024

I was in a similer situation with the surcharges. I had sent the payment in about 3 days before it was due and of course they were late. So by the time they processed them and reinstated my license i had lost it for a total of 3 days. My luck within those 3 days my ass gets pulled over. So of couse i got all these tickets. I had hired a layer (which i got free through a benifite and my previous employer) and i dont even know what he said but the judge asked me if i had gotten my license reinstated i said yes then he gave me about a $200 fine and i was on my way. So it wasent that bad. The only thing that sux is i got droped from my old insurance bc of it. So now my insurance is still up and this was about 2 years ago.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Yeah... at this point I'm avoiding as many points as I can, and avoiding items that will also get added to the insurance surcharge for another 3 years.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Update on first post.