Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 08-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

story of my life - ran out of gas

1986, roxette was the latest rage on the radio. my gf at the time liked them, i heard they were autographing albums down in the sam goody in the city. i took a ride down there on my 80' kz1000.

riding down the west side highway, ran out of gas by the 79th st boat basin. pushed the bike onto the shoulder and left it there while i walked around looking for a gas station.

i finally found one and asked the guy to sell me a gas can and fill it with gas. he had no gas cans for sale. i rummaged through the garbage and found an empty snapple bottle and asked him to put some gas in it. he said it was against the law since it was not an approved container.

i went out to the pump with the bottle and waited for him to turn around. when he did i jiggled a little gas out of a few of the nozzles, i managed to get about 1/4 of the bottle full. i ran back to my bike (praying it was still intact) and put the gas in. fired it up & rode back to the same gas station to fill it up.

after all that i got to the record store too late, roxette was already gone.

TRACK DISTANCES

Old 08-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

fast forward to the present - 2004

riding the same '80 kz1000. it's a humid & hot summer morning and i'm commuting into work, riding through the lincoln tunnel. it must have been 100° inside the tunnel, riding in 5-10mph traffic. the bike starts to slow down, i give more gas, she slows down even more. i downshift and give more gas, she slows down even more. i'm winding her out in 1st gear crawling. i realize the front brake is locking causing the slowdown.

i manage to get out of the tunnel and run the tollbooth because if i stopped, the bike would have been stuck there by the locked front brake. 3 cops chase after me on foot as i almost make it to the shoulder. i explain whats happening and it took all 4 of us to push the bike to the sidewalk out of the way of tunnel traffic. i pay the toll, leaving the bike with its glowing red front rotor and take the subway the rest of the way to work.

after the workday, not so humid and hot anymore. i return to the bike, roll it around in neutral without any problems. seems like the front brake is okay and ride home without incident.

i figure the problem was a fluke and take a chance and commute into work on the bike the next morning - same problem in the tunnel, and i barely got out. i leave the bike on the sidewalk a second time and take the subway. after work the same thing, i can ride it home without any problems.

i'm no wrench and did not want to drop anymore $$$ into this load so i go out and get a brand new leftover 2003 kawi zrx1200r.

TRACK DISTANCES

Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
jose padilla
Squid

Damn these are some seriously good stories. I'll add one more to the list. Here I am riding up from Myrtle Beach to NY to bring my dad's busa back to him (this one was stolen some time back). Anyway after getting all the way up here I get a flat right after the Gothels bridge. Its Mid-day traffic and hot as hell, no plug kit and no way to push the bike off the exit. I'm of course pissed cause I'm tired as hell and just want to get the bike home. Called my dad and of course super dad to the rescue. However there was so much traffic it took him nearly 2 hrs to get there. After beggin every single tow truck and cop to give me 5 more minutes he finally arrives. I plug the tire pumped it up and drove the shit out of it all the way home. Needless to say any long ride I go on I carry a plug kit in the trunk

Old 08-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #19
Jon FZ1
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
AAA WILL NOT cover any auto member's bike for anything.

I believe they--> http://www.ama-cycle.org/ also provide roadside towing and assistance.
Yes. AMA offers a Mo-Tow program for bikes. $25 bucks a year but you have to be an AMA member. I'd suggest that too.
00 TRX400EX Quad
99 Ultra 150 Jetski
AMA Member

Want to see pics of my last ride to NH, VT and Canada...Click HERE!