Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Riding the shoulder on Rt. 34...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
CuCullin
MCSE

Default Riding the shoulder on Rt. 34...

When you get off the parkway = bad idea. Lots of traffic yesterday, and hot as hell, so I said screw it and went around. Very slowly mind you, just wanted to get off the road so I could dirnk water, take a break, etc.

Anyways, did so right in front of a cop. Talked with him for a few, he was a good guy - commented that 5 other motorcyclists did the same thing that morning (it was only like 11am), and all for the same reason, "Its hot and I want to go somewhere and rest".

Apparently people in the area are giving the cops crap because it "isn't fair" that we can lane split, so on, so they are pulling every single person over who does that. I'm lucky I got off, mostly because I stopped as soon as I passed the cop, he didn't even have to pull out. Lights went on, I knew what he wanted.

Anyways, he asked me to tell everyone, so I am. Do not lanesplit or ride the shoulder on Rt. 34 heading down the Jersey shore. There will be a cop there, and they will pull you over.

End of the PSA

Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

coming home from pocono race way a few years back I got busted for riding the shoulder on my katana. I was just crawling and the cop threw on the cherries so I stopped he said the same thing to me but did give me a ticket, no points and like $70. at the same time SPRHK was splitting lanes and cruised right by.

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

I was stuck in mad traffic last night...twice, once on the Thruway and once again on 287. Sweatin ma ass off, but a stuck it out. I didn't lane split, but I pulled a few maneuvers where I stay close to the dotted line, this way it's only a few inches to get to the other to take the opening.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
I was stuck in mad traffic last night...twice, once on the Thruway and once again on 287. Sweatin ma ass off, but a stuck it out. I didn't lane split, but I pulled a few maneuvers where I stay close to the dotted line, this way it's only a few inches to get to the other to take the opening.
I was doin that as well - but this was a dead stop, mid-day heat coming on, right in the sun. And I knew I could pull off one block up into a lot and drink some of the gatorade and/or water I brought, so I just wanted to cool off for a few.

Like I said, cop was cool - but just be aware, and take a break *before* you get there. Then deal with traffic.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
jose padilla
Squid

Yeah talk about people being pissed. I had a lady flip me the bird and curse me out. So I pulled into the lane next to her and siince it was lane traffic I unbuckled my helmit and lifted it up. Boy was she pissed, She was still cussin. So I asked her what her beef was, and she was like "You stupid so on and so forth!!!" So I asked her if it would make it feel better if I road in my lane. She said yes and that I should have to wait like everyone else. I said okay if it will make you feel better and I put my helmet back on jack up my idle up to 2000 rpm and road next to her window. After about 10 minutes she was begging me to go ahead. Silly broad must have had a really bad day.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #6
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Yea, she must have had a lot of people lane splitting past her door when it was unexpected.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 08-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
southjersey636
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to southjersey636

Alot of people dont realize that when were stuckin traffic jams etc.. were the ones trying to balance a 400lb machine between our legs and use a clutch off and on, also were the ones that dont have air condition or even those cages that dont have ac still aint wearing a helmet and gear.

Jealousy is the key here with cagers and getting mad.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjersey636
Jealousy is the key here with cagers and getting mad.
So you are saying that you are jealous that you are hot and having to ride and not in a car with a/c.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
southjersey636
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to southjersey636

NEVER!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
Jake
Foot Fetish Guy

I don't like riding the shoulder anyway.. too much debris. I usually just lanesplit between the left and middle lanes.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
jose padilla
Squid

I perfer to lane split. Besides I once saw a chick giving a dude head when I was lane splitting. Damn sight of it nearly caused me to hit the car on the other side.

I think that was the only time I wish I was in the car instead. Then again I would have needed her to be in it as well and she didn't look to hot.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose padilla
I put my helmet back on jack up my idle up to 2000 rpm and road next to her window. After about 10 minutes she was begging me to go ahead.
niiice!

Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
jose padilla
Squid

I figured if I smacked the taste out her mouth it would just put us in a worse light then we already are in. Sometimes its just best to give people what they think they want, so that they realize they really don't want it.

Its like when your watching the game and the old lady wants some dick, she keeps buggin the hell out of you so you take her in the room grudge f#&k her for about 5 minutes juice her up and go back to watching the game. Yeah she wanted some but I bet she'll leave you alone the next time your watching the game.