Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice

Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Bike Talk (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Securing your Bike (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2321)

Shelly 04-14-2006 10:33 AM

Securing your Bike

Trying to figure out/find the best way to secure my bike when riding around. Looking for something mobile, small, relatively easy to install. This bike isn't worth the $$ to get an alarm on it so I need just something effective to tie me over for now. I'll already be locking the ignition and off'ing the gas everytime I'm not on bike.

Here are a few options I found below from 3w.abus.com...(http://www.abus.com):
1) lock-chain combo.
2) brake-disc lock

Any other ideas or recommendations of what to use/manufacturers? Thanks :)

Shel

JimRBlue 04-14-2006 10:56 AM

A disc lock is the most portable. Just remember to take it off before starting out. If not, it has a bad way of reminding you.

Marker54 04-14-2006 12:36 PM

Hey Shel-
I was thinking the same thing, and after asking around, everybody basically said that if they want that bad... they will steal it!! Especially a small bike, its nothing a couple of guys cant fit into a pickup.

Be sure to get Comprehensive coverage through insurance!!

High_Revs_17 04-14-2006 12:58 PM

A disc lock is fine for that bike and it should fit under the seat too.

Mogwai 04-14-2006 01:50 PM

Absolutely, disc locks are best for transporting them. If you want to go to the next step, Xena makes a dick lock alarm combo which I have and it work good. If it moves a little bit, the alarm goes off.

Shelly 04-15-2006 08:04 AM

Great....thanks for all the info. guys, appreciate it. :)

HondaGalToo 04-15-2006 08:42 AM

I have an Abus disc lock. It's heavy duty. I also have a smallish Kryptonite cable that coils up and fits under my seat. The Abus stuff is great.

FigNewTon 04-15-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marker01
Hey Shel-
I was thinking the same thing, and after asking around, everybody basically said that if they want that bad... they will steal it!! Especially a small bike, its nothing a couple of guys cant fit into a pickup.

+1 I had two bikes stolen right out of my garage in NJ. Not only where they in a locked garage but both were secured...if they want it they are going to get it and really not much you can do about it.

Mogwai 04-15-2006 10:07 AM

Yeah thats true, but I'd rather make it very very difficult for them instead of putting nothing on it. I'm going to make them work to get it.

voteforguy 04-17-2006 04:47 PM

True... make it as difficult as possible. Disc-lock is pretty standard. I also carry a kryptonite chain in my trunk and use it whenever there's something secure to lock it to.

Ninjagirl, I think you'll be fine overall... its much more profitable for them to steal a brand new 600 or above than a 250.

Shelly 04-27-2006 08:56 AM

Vote4-If all things were equal I'd agree generally. If I lived in better neighborhood I wouldn't worry so much about my lil 250 but in my case I'd rather assume the worse and prepare as such. Like Mogwai said....I'd rather make it as hard as possible, more of a detterent (sp? hehe). I work too hard for what I have and wanna keep it ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by voteforguy
True... make it as difficult as possible. Disc-lock is pretty standard. I also carry a kryptonite chain in my trunk and use it whenever there's something secure to lock it to.

Ninjagirl, I think you'll be fine overall... its much more profitable for them to steal a brand new 600 or above than a 250.

njf4i 04-27-2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marker01

You mean like the insurance you were suppose to quote me. :fart:

But i use to carry the disc lock around with me. But like everyone says, if they want it bad enough there gonna take it. But a disc lock is better than nothing and relatively cheap.

Marker54 04-27-2006 04:21 PM

You mean like the insurance you were suppose to quote me. :fart:

:jerkit:

Jeeezzzzeee Gimme a little time. Call you Tomorrow.

Ill be sure to quote yours first thing in the morning when im all hung over.

Hassmaschine 04-27-2006 08:06 PM

Do we have to have the theft deterrant vs theft prevention talk again people? Jesus H, get what you want, I use a disc lock and feel fine, I don't put so much into my bike that insurance checks can't cover it and buy me the same thing...

MrQuickR1 04-28-2006 06:15 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it....if they want it, nothing will stop them. And your bike is light as it is. Just have cab fair handy:LOL: