Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

What dates are included on a 1099 tax form?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Default What dates are included on a 1099 tax form?

I can't seem to find this answer, but does anyone know what dates do tax forms include, are they calendar Jan 1st 2007 - Dec 31 2007 or some type of fiscal range? I have a 1099 that says I was paid X amount and I'm trying to match that value with what I've deposited into my bank account and it's jiving. Searching my bank statements is a bitch so If I can figure what date ranges it includes it will be a lot easier.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

For taxes, its the period of Jan 1-Dec 31. Now the year they are reporting for may not be the same year you deposited the money, or made a payment, etc.

For example I got a 1098T from school that said I paid $0 in qualifying tuition fees. I attended Spring 07, and paid that bill Feb 07. However, I signed up for classes, and the money was charged to my account in Nov 06, so that amount actually showed up on my 1098T for 2006.

Similar things can happen for other forms as well where check/bill issue date is not the same as when you cash the check/pay the bill.

For example, If my company issues me a paycheck Dec 31, 2007, it will be reported as income for 2007. If I am lazy I may not even deposit the check for 3 months...

How this applies to your situation? No idea.. not enough details.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
jcblitz

That sounds about the same situation I'm in. I did a bunch on contract work for a company over the past 3 years and they have dissolved some time in early 2007 so I didn't do much work for them in 2007. I got my 1099 from them and it says they paid me $3,000 for instance but I can only find 2 checks I deposited in my account and it only adds up to $1100, I can't find any deposited checks with their name on it to make up that other $1900. Of course I could check the stubs but I suck at keeping records and have no idea where they would be. And my bank sucks because they won't do a simple query for me that's basically "tell me any deposit in my account with this companies name on it".

So is it a safe to assume that they wouldn't have issued me a check before Jan 1st 2007 for payment that would appear on my 2007 1099?

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

If their record keeping is anything like yours, I wouldnt say its safe to assume anything

While I know in my case that the "date of record" for tution is the date they actually bill me, and not the date I pay it, I can't say the same is true for you. I am not a tax law expert, I was just sharing one of my experiences in hopes that it might explain the discreptancy for you. Fortunately for me, my schools website specifically addresses this issue which is the only reason why I know.

Were you ALWAYS paid by check? Any payments in cash that you thought may have been "under the table", they may have decided to report anyway...

Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
jcblitz

I connected all the numbers so I'm good. At certain ATM's, it scans my deposits and puts an image online for me to look at. Others, including if I go to a teller, do not do this, so I had a tough time figuring out what was what. I found two deposits that were a mixed bag, some business proceeds as well as a personal check or two. But I came close enough to figuring it out. I was actually only trying to figure out how much I paid out to my business partner. I hope to avoid this in 2008

Minarchism