Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Chain Clean 611 by Motorex
Old 04-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206
Default Chain Clean 611 by Motorex

All I gotta say is THIS STUFF ROCKS!! Picked up and slapped in the new berrings for the track bike. Figure while I'm at it, might as well clean the chain. Chain hasen't been cleaned for as long as I owned the bike Ron(WCW) suggested this stuff and man its every bit amazing just like he said. It can be messy though...just need to make sure put something down like cardboard or whatever. The dirt and grime just drips off. Used a whole can for the chain and rear sprocket...threw everything back together(yes I made sure all spacers were in place ) sprayed a bit of chain lube. The rear wheel spins about 3x better now. Can't wait to see how it all feels at VIR.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
motopix

Is it any better than WD-40? That stuff works wonders on a warm chain; cheap too.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Hassmaschine
Mr. Megadeth

Yeah I'll stick with WD40, probably more work, but it's cheap and relatively easy... generally I've been cheating, I just slap on wd40 every morning or night for a week to clean off the chain, it sparkles after than, then go back to chain lube the following week... religiously every 600 miles or so...

RIP Jon 08.15.78 - 09.02.03, RIP AJ.

-Ein Verstand, eine Energie. Sie mögen Motorräder und sprechen über sie!
-If it bleeds for more than 3 days and doesn't die, BAN IT!

Old 04-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Oh sure wd-40 is going to work. Just don't know how it is on the o/x rings...like any damage down the road. This stuff is specifically designed for bike chains. Whatever works 'spose.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

maxima chain clean up is the shiznit, although like 611 it does make a mess, but its a rinse off cleaner so i use with whenever i clean my bike.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Just don't know how it is on the o/x rings...like any damage down the road. This stuff is specifically designed for bike chains.
Exactly, WD-40 is NOT good for the rubber seals/rings, it will break them down over time hence causing premature stretching and kinking of the links, then say goodbye to that nice expensive race chain.

That 611 cleaner is awesome, I've been using it for years. You'll also notice the bike's operation feels smoother with a nicely adjusted, cleaned & lubed chain...might just shave a few tenths off your laps times too.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 04-29-2006 at 08:25 PM..

Old 04-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
motopix

To each his own. I've used WD for years and years without a noticeable change in chain life. Grit and grime clinging to the lube on a neglected chain is far worse.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Hassmaschine
Mr. Megadeth

Yeah never had a problem with WD40, but at the right price, that stuff may work, whats it a bottle Joe?

RIP Jon 08.15.78 - 09.02.03, RIP AJ.

-Ein Verstand, eine Energie. Sie mögen Motorräder und sprechen über sie!
-If it bleeds for more than 3 days and doesn't die, BAN IT!

Old 04-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

It's not exactly cheap. I use it in my shop on all my bikes and customers bikes. With regular cleaning and lubricating, I got over 24,000 out of my last chain on the Superhawk. And, doesn't have that toxic smell that alot of other products have. Cakes is right about another thing too, it can be messy! Carboard or an old cookie sheet to put under the chain whie cleaning is a must. Price for a can if I'm not mistaken is about 8-9 bucks. Lasts quite awhile if you keep up on it. 1 can should last you a season.

ROADRASH IS LIKE A STD, YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF YOU WORE PROTECTION !
Saxon's "little" big brother,older,wiser, FASTER
CycleMadness Motorcycle Repair
Belvidere NJ (908)475-2332
Mon-Wed 7pm-10pm Sat. 9am-5pm

Jesus may love you, but I think you're a cunt!

Old 04-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
southjersey636
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to southjersey636

Alright so I got coming this week the new chain-sprockets, whats the deal on chain lube that isnt gonna turn my gold chain black? I need a good chain lube and I might have to get a can of this 611.

I was using Silkolene Synthetic Race Lube but that stuff even thought they say its clear forms black gunk all over my chain-rims everywhere.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Cakes206
The Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjersey636
Alright so I got coming this week the new chain-sprockets, whats the deal on chain lube that isnt gonna turn my gold chain black? I need a good chain lube and I might have to get a can of this 611.

I was using Silkolene Synthetic Race Lube but that stuff even thought they say its clear forms black gunk all over my chain-rims everywhere.
You might be using to much. Also, are you putting it on a cold chain? I use the same stuff, but it should be done to a hot chain, like when you get back from riding. Don't need alot either, just a bit, keep rollin the back tire, let it work itself in...and let sit. Should get almost no chain fling. The black gunk you're getting is whats already there and the lube is loosening up. Clean the chain real good.
Maintain proper chain/sprocket care and they last alot longer. The teeth on the sprockets of the track bike look just like the day I got em...no rounding at all.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjersey636

Lubes won't turn a gold chain black, dirt and grease does that. You might be applying too much lube on the chain, only a thin even layer is needed, anymore will gunk up and fling off the chain onto your rims.

When the new chain's installed wipe it down with a clean rag, take the bike for a quick 5 minute ride to heat up the chain, then spray the Silkolene on it, but be sure you allow about 10-15 mintues for the lube to set/dry on the chain cuz if you ride right after you spray it the lube will just spray all over the rear wheel. A chain should be properly cleaned and lubed every 600 miles, doing so will help maintain it's appearance and performance.

Motorex also makes a great chain lube as well incase you'd like to try that instead.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 04-30-2006 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

I just use kerosene

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Old 04-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
southjersey636
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to southjersey636

Thanx for the tips.

I manged to get out of my oem chain around 15-17k which I think is decent since Im known to go 2000 miles between a lube and I never once cleaned the chain with a brush etc.. to get dirt out of it. What can I say im lazy like that but I kept up good on keeping the slack and adjustment right, I guess thats why my sprockets look fine still lol.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #15
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

just ride the fukking thing

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the