Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Mods & How To's
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

HOW TO - oil change on a 2001 R1
Old 06-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Default HOW TO - oil change on a 2001 R1

well, this was my first oil change on her. it was pretty simple, but i was a bit apprehensive before i started so i figure this might help out someone else who hasn't done it before. just make sure you have all your stuff together before starting.

this is what you'll need...

- your tool bag that came with the bike
- oil filter wrench.
- oil pan or other container to catch the oil
- funnel
- rear stand (makes the job MUCH easier)
- oil
- oil filter

step 1

put the bike on rear stands and take off your fairings. i recommend putting a rug or something similar under the bike to help protect the fairings when you take them off. no need for unnecessary scratches to your paint.

step 2

this is the underside of your bike from the kickstand side. the large bolt in the center is what you need to take off. make sure your oil pan is under the bike when you take it off.

step 3

warm up your bike for 2-3 minutes. unscrew the bolt shown above. let oil drain...

step 4

move the oil pan and get something that will fit under the bike while it's on the kickstand. make the switch and put the bike on the kickstand. a lot more oil will come out. my regular oil pan was too high so i had to use a makeshift container.

step 5

remove the oil filter. i didn't take a picture because i used the screwdriver method. my hands were kinda messy. the oil filter wrench would have been much better! im getting one for next time. the screw driver method is basicaly sticking a sharp screwdriver through the oil filter and turning it loose. get it loose and it comes off easy. if using this method, make sure the screwdriver goes in one side and comes out the other side before attempting to turn.

step 6

get the new oil filter. i filled it about 2/3 with new oil which i hear is supposed to help lubricate the engine when you start it back up. remember to lightly rub some oil on the lip of the oil filter. screw it back in and use a torque wrench if you prefer. i tightened by hand wearing garden gloves for grip.

step 7

screw in the oil drain screw back in before you get set to fill the oil. if not, you'll end up with this.... :blushes:

step 8

go to the right side of the bike, remove the oil screw. it's a black plastic screw you remove by hand. use the funnel and slowly fill with your new oil. watch the oil level and make sure it's between 2 and 3. the bike should be level when you take this measurement, not on it's kickstand. do not overfill. go slow so you don't have to attempt to remove oil - by unscrewing the oil drain screw.

step 9

remember to wipe down all the oil that might have leaked onto the pipes and under your bike. start the bike and let it warm up for a few minutes. recheck the oil level and fill as necessary. put the fairings back on and you're good to go. check the oil level after riding and top off as necessary. ride safe.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 06-06-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Excellent write up..thank you for taking the time to do this...one thing I'd like to mention..when taking the filter off...always check to make sure the rubber gasket is still on the filter. If not, you'll end up with a "double gasket" which is a big nono. I also just put the new filter on and start it up after putting in some oil to fill the filter.

Thanks again for the write up. :biggthump

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
JasonB
.doosh

Send a message via AIM to JasonB Send a message via Yahoo to JasonB

I would also add that do not tighten the drain plug too tight or you will strip it.
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~ View Post
Jason is one good looking black man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~Today 04:29 PM
you are a hot black man in my book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
but instead i"m sitting in an airport internet chatting with a two bald men, one former gangbanger who drives a volvo and the other who thinks he's monk
1999 Red Kawasaki ZX6R – Sold
2001 Black and Silver GSX-R1000 - Sold
2007 Blue GSXR 600 - Sold
2006 Black GSXR 600 – Sold
2008 Blue and Orange Yamaha R6 – Current track bike
TPM/Nesba #819

Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase
I would also add that do not tighten the drain plug too tight or you will strip it.

Same goes with taking it out...always make sure the engine is cooled down....never come in from a ride and directly start on an oil change...1> the oil is pipin hot... 2> most oil pans are aluminum and the drain bolt is steel which expands when hot putting more pressure on the threads...you will strip the threads on the pan right off.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.