Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

I understand that you're sharing your experiences with us because it's new and exciting, and that's great, however we're not trying to berate you, we're simply trying to offer the best advice we can to protect a new rider that does not have the full scope of what operating a motorcycle truly entails. Please do not go out into traffic on any main roads until you're properly trained, but in the mean time just keep getting the feel of the bike, and try to improve on the basics like your doing only on your street, but the problem is there's no one with experience next to you to point out your mistakes and bad habits. Just keep this idea in mind as you practice: all functions on a bike should be smooth, gradual, and uniform, i.e. slow steady pace to release the clutch, the same goes for applying both brakes with a nice even squeeze of the lever, and the throttle with a nice even twist, just keep it smooth.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 01-27-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
I understand that you're sharing your experiences with us because it's new and exciting, and that's great, however we're not trying to berate you, we're simply trying to offer the best advice we can to protect a new rider that does not have the full scope of what operating a motorcycle truly entails. Please do not go out into traffic on any main roads until you're properly trained, but in the mean time just keep getting the feel of the bike, and try to improve on the basics like your doing only on your street, but the problem is there's no one with experience next to you to point out your mistakes and bad habits. Just keep this idea in mind as you practice: all functions on a bike should be smooth, gradual, and uniform, i.e. slow steady pace to release the clutch, the same goes for applying both brakes with a nice even squeeze of the lever, and the throttle with a nice even twist, just keep it smooth.
Alas.. The squid stop legend has a new birth..

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #18
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Does it happen to be an 03/04 zx6r? Cause that would be sweet if I could get some spares.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
Sue
Gear Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue View Post
I can relate to this...

JimRBlue and High Revs Ron were at my MSF classes for support and advice. And trust me I needed it! Even AFTER taking the class I was not ready for anything other than more parking lot practice. Even the 2 course instructors told the entire class NOT to go out onto the roads after completing the course. They told all of us we now had the basic skills and knowledge but were not "road ready" until after more practice.

And my first go at it was on our neighbor's dirtbike in a parking lot. Jim and the neighbor tried to teach me and I did "okay" but kept stalling the bike. I eventually made a turn too wide and than tried to compensate and almost drove straight into our garage door. The bike fell and I fell with it. I was lucky because I only banged up my knee.

TAKE THE DAMN CLASS !!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #20
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

Were not trying to keep you from riding or making fun of you, were just trying to have you do as said above. Last thing we want to do is read about you or any other for that matter in the paper.

Riding a motorcycle is no joke, the second you sit on the bike and start it, then start rolling your life in jeopardy goes up by 80% It may not be rider error, but most of the time rideres do not know what to do because of the other person in a car, soccer mom SUV ETC

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

When I had my first bike, I rode that thing every single day around my neighborhood and sometimes even to work, no license, no MSF. It was stupid and foolish, but if I was in the situation again, I would probably do the same thing, again. Like you said, there's no way to just sit there and wait and wait without getting on the thing.

Take the class as soon as you can, and until then, if you really can't help yourself, keep getting yourself familiar with the clutch/throttle and stuff like that. Do it in WIDE OPEN UNPOPULATED parking lots or barren local roads; don't start trying to deal with traffic and pedestrians 'cause then all these guys will be proven right. And really, they are right, but its unrealistic to think people like us have any ounce of self control when theres a sweet bike in front of us.

Just be aware that, although you may think you're doing great, whenever you fainlly do get to the MSF course, you may find out you've been cementing terrible habits and it will be difficult to start fresh again.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED

Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
opinion914
White Group Rulez!

meet up w/ a few competent riders in the area, find a spot where you wont get harrassed or do any harrassing and a few hours going over starting, breaking, tight turns.. some panic type things and in a few weeks of practicing you'll start to get the hang of it. be warned though, its dangerous so keep an open mind and put the pride aside.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #23
RAC
Back It In

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
Relax and have fun or rush in not knowing what you are doing and get killed or worse.

What could be worse than getting killed¿¿

Take the class!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Just about every new driver around the age 16 gets taken to an empty parking lot on a Sunday to practice parallel parking before taking their road test...or even just to practice afterwards. Why should a bike be any different? Can have someone ride it to a parking lot for you and can practice there until April.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #25
bondo
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveage View Post
So I never had a lesson in my life.
...Now I'm gonna change my underpants.....
Can't attend a lesson until the spring?

Get a small dirtbike and learn shifting, clutch, brakes, leaning, stopping/turning on a loose surface, etc. You can drop it all you want and you probably won't break anything. Here's one
Once you learn how to ride, that mini bike will be a ton of fun when you are not riding on the street. The first crash you DON'T have on the street bike will pay for the mini bike.

Practice makes perfect, but only if you are practicing correctly.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #26
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post

As a friend would tell people........
When your significant other has to re-insert the cathedar because it fell out and now you are urinating all over yourself and can't help it because you are a paraplegic who can't stop drooling because of the brain damage......etc.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #27
RAC
Back It In

point well made bob....

Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
FDNYDANO18
Lieutenant Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post

Take the class!!!
Being maimed and crippled.... alive in a dead body.....I'd say thats worse

Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

i did a two day course for the msf. full day sat n full day on sun.

This is my story of how getting a bike.

Registering my minivan and decided lets see if i can pass the permit for a motorcycle. Did this on Wed n passed. Looked for a bike on wed, to sat. On Sat. bought my F4I.

Tried to get insurance so i can practice with my friend, but realized no one would give me insurance unless i had a license. So i couldn't register it without insurance so i was in a Catch 22 situation. since i can't practice and there would be no way to get my license. Signed up for the Safety Course on tues. Luckily had a spot for that weekend. Pass the course, for the license on Monday, as well as insurance and registered it.

I was one without ANY experience, and got everything settled and done with in about 2 weeks. It tooks a few months practice before i got good. But even after i took the course, i was still having trouble turning.

During that period, i rode around my development twice and then realized there's going to be a consequence if i keep doing this. Even though my urge to ride the bike was so great, i couldn't do it fearing the loss of license for riding without plates, insurance, and motorcycle license. Fearing for totalling the bike i HAD just bought and hurting someone when i don't have ANY insurance at all.

If you really need to, you will find a way. Just trying to let you know that if you want it done, it can be. Regardless of how the scheduling is, i'm sure you can take a sick day unless your job is so intense that you're not even allowed to get sick on a sat and will be fired for it. Having the bike sit in the garage is rough, but its better than to slide it. Cold weather calls for cold tires and debris on the road that was left on by salt trucks.

Just think about what you think is important to you the most. Riding the bike around a few times so you can get your enjoyment now, or risking ALL your enjoyment buy risking not knowing what you are doing and ruining your entire life because you couldn't simply hold back. Worse case scenario, give your keys t someone you trust and make sure they don't give it to you no matter what you try to them until you take the course. I'm sure with that in mind, you'll do everything in your power to complete the c ourse

Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #30
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Slowly squeeze the brake, put feet down, now listen closely, VRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue View Post

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'