Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Trailer question
Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Default Trailer question

wasnt sure what forum to post this uner. I have soem work to do on the old HF trailer to get ready for summit and I want to check and possibly replace the wheel bearrings. They have been in there for 3 years and I have never checked or greased them in all this time ( I know I know bad tommymac ) Is there anything I need to be aware of when inspecting them and where should I get replacements if I need to.

Tom

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

Any auto parts store is likely to have the bearings, but check
the phone book for trailer sales/rental locations. They will definately
have what you need.

Most likely you won't need any new parts, just clean, inspect and
regrease the bearings and you should be fine; maybe install new
seals if the ones you have seem worn out...

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

If they are badly worn, it will be pretty easy to spot.. The bearings and races should all be smooth surfaces... They dont have to be 100%, but its better to replace them if you are unsure, they should be pretty cheap... Ive had bearings fail on me twice on my boat trailer, and its not a lot of fun.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post
If they are badly worn, it will be pretty easy to spot.. The bearings and races should all be smooth surfaces... They dont have to be 100%, but its better to replace them if you are unsure, they should be pretty cheap... Ive had bearings fail on me twice on my boat trailer, and its not a lot of fun.
Thats the thing I dont want to be stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I will give them a look later today and will be going to a traielr store for a few things later anyway so if need be Iwill see about getting new ones.

Tom

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

carry a spare.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

yeah spares are good!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

I was just gonna add carry a spare set of bearings and a hub if you can. My father and i have had bearings blow out and take chunks of the hub with it pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. Not fun at all.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
CBRBob
A 37 Production

When you take the nut off the spindle and remove the hub, look at the grease seal, there will be a number on its backside(usually 6 digits). Copy that down.

Then before you remove the bearings push them from the inside race into the outside race and turn, if you feel roughness, replace them.

Once you remove them, wipe off the excess grease and look for the same type of numbers somewhere on the bearings, they are usually VERY SMALL. Copy those down. All you need to do is take those #'s to your local NAPA, Zone etc. and they should have the new ones(usually cheaper than a trailer specialty store). I keep one full set(inner outter and seal) in the trailer at all times and I pregreased the bearings.

When you do grease them, use BEARING grease, not just general automotive grease (like for suspensions etc.) You can buy one of those small grease guns that take the 6in cartridges and get bearing grease for them. There should be grease point on the inside of the hub. You can grease them cold but I like to take the trailer for a short drive to make the old grease soft before greasing again(especially if you haven't done thuis in a while).

Drive it to get warm, bring it home, jack one wheel up, take off the dust cap, pump new grease in the fitting until the old grease starts to come out. Wipe away the old grease, spin the wheel to distribute the new grease. Do this a few times until you see(or feel) new grease come out. It's like bleeding old brake fluid. Then do the other side.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils