Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

MONO!!!! What the hell?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

Default MONO!!!! What the hell?

What is the deal with mono? How many of you have had it before? I just found out about a week ago that I have it, and it's one of the most awful things I've ever experienced. My tonsils are swollen up to the point where they have literally touched eachother from side to side, and they are blistered in the most disgusting way. Went to the doctor last week, and he gave me a 5 day supply of steroids that was supposed to help reduce the swelling of my tonsils... I've tried just about everything, and even tried their "home remedy" suggestion of gargling Maalox and something else mixed together, and that doesn't help the constant pain.

...other than that, I feel drained as HELL! This is the third day of work that I've missed since I found out what was wrong with me, and I can't keep missing work--but I talk on the phone all day, so it's hard to talk with your throat closed.

Apparently a lot of people have been coming down with mono lately! I didn't get it from kissing, by any means, as the stereotype implies. I'm afraid maybe I got it from having dinner somewhere where maybe they didn't clean the dishes too well after an ill customer ate/drank. Likely?

It's fucking awful, and I'm told it could last 4-6 weeks in some cases.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Wayne said he was just really really bored...

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 02-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

not only can it last 4 to 6 weeks, it can also land you in the hospital for a few more weeks. stay out of work until your 100% fine, last thing you want is a relapse because you think your feeling fine.

i sure hope you feel better fast though.
ice cream is your best friend!

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

I got it Sr year of high school. I felt fine but apparently I looked like shit. Two days before I was actually diagnosed all my teachers and friends made comments on how shitty I looked, more than usual. It was golf season and I played for the school, and apparently I almost burst my spleen from swinging. I didn't feel any different.

So in short, I felt fine, but I wasn't according to my doctors. But I've always been an "I'm fine" type of person even if my arm was falling off, IE my motorcycle accident.

I also didn't get it from kissing. The only thing I can think of was sharing a bottle of alcohol with some friends and their friends in the woods one weekend. But I don't recall any of the people I knew getting mono.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John217 View Post
not only can it last 4 to 6 weeks, it can also land you in the hospital for a few more weeks. stay out of work until your 100% fine, last thing you want is a relapse because you think your feeling fine.

i sure hope you feel better fast though.
ice cream is your best friend!
Thanks!

...and about work, I really can't. That's the awful thing. My employer has some ridiculous sick policies, but they'll surely be paying any sort of medical bills I may encounter if I end up in the hospital because I was at risk of losing my job for missing work for a medical issue. That was an awfully long sentence.

Anyway, they basically have very little tolerance towards sickness/absence. They, in a sense, expect you to prepare in advance to take sick time from work, or you're penalized for it. After you're penalized a few times, you're at risk. Here's the funny thing: unscheduled time off has to be scheduled two weeks prior to the date of absence, or it's a violation. How can you schedule unscheduled time? lol.... How can you PLAN to be sick? They give you time off, but penalize you if you have to use it.

Me in the hospital? See them in court :p

I want nothing more than to get better... Fast.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL View Post
they basically have very little tolerance towards sickness/absence. They, in a sense, expect you to prepare in advance to take sick time from work, or you're penalized for it. After you're penalized a few times, you're at risk. Here's the funny thing: unscheduled time off has to be scheduled two weeks prior to the date of absence, or it's a violation. How can you schedule unscheduled time? lol.... How can you PLAN to be sick? They give you time off, but penalize you if you have to use it.
Who do you work for, the devil? I've never heard such a thing, as long as you have a Dr.'s note there shouldn't be any issues. Have you researched your NPTO, PTO and EIB policies closely? Maybe there's a misunderstanding somewhere with the fine print.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
Who do you work for, the devil? I've never heard such a thing, as long as you have a Dr.'s note there shouldn't be any issues. Have you researched your NPTO, PTO and EIB policies closely? Maybe there's a misunderstanding somewhere with the fine print.
Yes, unfortunately I do work for the devil... I work for a wireless company now. lol.

When I was with Allstate Insurance as a network analyst, I probably could have been sick for a full 365 days and somehow been paid for all of it... With this new company, I ask myself every day why I still work there.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Qetesh

Mono has definately been goin around. I know a hand full of people who are still dealing with it since finding out, back in November. Oh, and none of them got it from kissing either.

Here's a good write up about Epstein Bar Virus (that's what causes Mono) any anything else you didn't know ----> http://www.webmd.com/hw/infection/hw168636.asp

Your job sounds like it sucks. However, I know a couple places that operate the same way and in fact, know someone who got fired for taking a sick day.

Good luck and get better soon!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL View Post
I work for a wireless company now.
Really? Which one and what do you do there? Sucks to have to worry bout losing your job because you got sick...that stress in itself can mess you up. Document everything.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
yb929rr
Skid Mark

if they won't let you take sick time. just go in tell your boss what the problem is then.....stay close to him/her and keep sneezing on them. then they should give you the time off!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Barbi
Unscheduled Blond Moments

yeah anyway, I had Mono in 5th grade. I was out of school for a month but... I recall having to have blood drawn alll the freakin time!

And I didn't get it from kissing either. Although I gave it J/K!!!

R.I.P. R14cd 6/4/06

Last edited by Barbi; 02-15-2007 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes982 View Post
Really? Which one and what do you do there? Sucks to have to worry bout losing your job because you got sick...that stress in itself can mess you up. Document everything.
Ntelos. You've probably never heard of it... Relatively small company in comparison to Verizon, USCC, Sprint, etc. We primarily service Virginia, West Virginia, and small portions of Ohio and Kentucky.

I couldn't agree with you more. I never have an attendance problem.. Never late.. Never really do anything to warrant any sort of grief or trouble from anyone, and I always work 110%. They have a problem with employee retention and things like this are a big part of that! Next time I accept a job offer and leave a great job, I'm definitely going to dig in the dirt a little bit more and ask some of the questions I should have asked. I asked questions, but apparently not the right ones. Not that it matters I guess, because half of the things they said in the interview have not been true as of yet. They lied about mandatory overtime, and they lied about our shift rotations. I was told I'd work every third weekend, but I work every other weekend... Urghh! Anyway.................

It seems like the employee retention could be solved with a little concern towards their employees! Not only do they have a shitty sick policy, but they have a terrible inclimate weather policy too. We never shut down, so it doesn't matter if there's 20 feet of snow and ice on the roads or not... If you don't make it to work, there's a strike for you.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yb929rr View Post
if they won't let you take sick time. just go in tell your boss what the problem is then.....stay close to him/her and keep sneezing on them. then they should give you the time off!
That's the thing... They all know. They've known since before I was diagnosed. I told them how I felt, and what was going on, and that I was going to the doctor before work... and then we found out what was wrong with me. I've been out of work for a total of three days and that equals two strikes for me. I have to go back today, despite how I feel, because I could otherwise be at risk of losing my job. The shitty thing is that I talk on the phone ALL day long; ALL DAY! It's painful to talk on the phone all day when your throat is nearly swollen shut and your tonsils are covered in blisters. It hurts to swallow.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
yb929rr
Skid Mark

seriously, like cakes said document EVERYTHING. even write down what they say to you.....most lawyers give free consultations.

hope everything works out!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

My concern is that I'm in the Commonwealth of Virginia... and it's a right to work state, which basically means you can be terminated if your ears are too big, and it be entirely legal, if they wish. It just seems unlawful for someone to be punished for a legit medical issue.

I will document everything... and see what happens from here. If I end up hospitalized, I intend to at least take the rest of the year off from working.. on their dime! lol