Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Just registered for the free MSF course that New Jersey offers!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
tsxguy77
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to tsxguy77
Default Just registered for the free MSF course that New Jersey offers!!!

So last year I wanted to take the MSF course but really didnt have the cash, and then I found out that New Jersey offers a free 3 day course, bike included! But you can only call in once a week for a period of 3.5 hours to schedule an appointment for a later date, and last year I tried many attempts and I could never get through. It was very frustrating!

Anyway, Today is the first day they are starting scheduling again and I almost forgot about this thing until yesterday. So I called up and after 25 minutes on hold, I GOT THROUGH!

So now Im taking my class on March 30,31 & April 1st.

Here is the link for any other NJ riders.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/..._safety.htm#a1

Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
sonny
Craigslist Champion

Good class. Teaches you good fundamentals.

I took it. I want to do the Advanced Rider Class before I move to maryland..

Old 02-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Retom7
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Retom7 Send a message via Yahoo to Retom7

Damn, I wish it was free in NY... I spent like $250

Great course though, have fun!

Ye Olde Myspace

Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

If/when you pass be sure to contact your auto & bike ins. co.'s cuz they might offer you a discount on your policy being this class is a state certified safety course.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Retom7
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Retom7 Send a message via Yahoo to Retom7

I don't know if it's the same as NY, but after the NY course, it also count towards auto insurance... and points on your driver's license.

Ye Olde Myspace

Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
CBRBob
A 37 Production

The class is the same across the country except Oregon. The reason it's free is that the state is stealing the $5 that is tacked onto every motorcycle license renewal to give only a few hundered riders a free class instead of reducing the cost of the class by at least $50 to EVERYONE that takes the class in NJ. So feel good that it's free because it's not, it's costing all of us some $$. I don't mind the $5. I do mind the state grabbing the money to run a class costing several times the going rate. It's like the $700 hammer you hear about.

Depending on your ins. carrier they MAY give you some discount. In NJ, if you take the ERC, they MUST give you a discount on your car ins. (bike carriers might not) and can take pts off your lic. because the ERC is considered a Defensive Driver Course.

www.renj.com
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Last edited by CBRBob; 02-15-2007 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
tsxguy77
Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
The reason it's free is that the state is stealing the $5 that is tacked onto every motorcycle license renewal to give only a few hundered riders a free class instead of reducing the cost of the class by at least $50 to EVERYONE that takes the class in NJ. So feel good that it's free because it's not, it's costing all of us some $$. I don't mind the $5. I do mind the state grabbing the money to run a class costing several times the going rate. It's like the $700 hammer you hear about.

Well if its a $5 charge they tack onto license renewal, Thats great still because you only have to renew the license every 4 years, so if I ride a motorcycle for 40 years until I am 70 years old, I will only pay $5 every four years which is only $50 total for a class I would have paid about $250 for, so I dont know where you are getting that $700 hammer idea from.

Last edited by tsxguy77; 02-15-2007 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
ZeRo_C0oL
Short Shifter

That's cool that it's so cheap for you guys, even WITH the catch where you're technically paying for it..

Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxguy77 View Post
Well if its a $5 charge they tack onto license renewal, Thats great still because you only have to renew the license every 4 years, so if I ride a motorcycle for 40 years until I am 70 years old, I will only pay $5 every four years which is only $50 total for a class I would have paid about $250 for, so I dont know where you are getting that $700 hammer idea from.
*YOU* may have only paid $50 in your lifetime, but maybe 1 in every 25 rider in the state of NJ can even take the class (limited availability). so you multiply that $50 those 25 riders have paid throughout their lifetime and you are actually up to $1250 per per person that the state receives. Of course not everybody has their license for 40 years, but chances are the 1:25 ratio is also closer to 1:100....

Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
tsxguy77
Burnout

Well yeah. But anything the state/government does for us, we have to pay for. Thats what taxes are for. So it is really cool that NJ does this for everyone that is lucky enough to get through on the phone lines. I tried for a few months last season. No lie, I was on hold for the limit, because after an hour or so I would get a message to try and call back again. It was so frustrating! But Im glad I beat the rush this year.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
tsxguy77
Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejtable View Post
*YOU* may have only paid $50 in your lifetime, but maybe 1 in every 25 rider in the state of NJ can even take the class (limited availability). so you multiply that $50 those 25 riders have paid throughout their lifetime and you are actually up to $1250 per per person that the state receives. Of course not everybody has their license for 40 years, but chances are the 1:25 ratio is also closer to 1:100....
Oh well, not my problem. Anyone can take it if they want to. Just gotta be patient and make some phone calls. So anyway, the most *I* will pay for this is $50 and thats awesome! Everything else is irrelevant to me.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

this is getting too technical for me...
i dotn care..i got a florida license and took the calss down there for free..lol

Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #13
Technochick
Learner's Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000 View Post
this is getting too technical for me...
i dotn care..i got a florida license and took the calss down there for free..lol
How did you take the class for free in FL? It cost me $170.

Well worth EVERY penny too!!

Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxguy77 View Post
Oh well, not my problem.
Yea, so when your tax bill doubles next year don't bitch because we all have to pay in. Thats the mentality that puts asswipes like Corzine in power. Having the govt. run this is just what we DON'T need. It costing riders several times the amt. the going rate and people saying its free. Signing up for welfare anytime soon?

Hey it's no $ out of my pocket, I can't teach enough to keep up with the demand. I just want you to know that the class is in no way free and free does not always = good.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
Yea, so when your tax bill doubles next year don't bitch because we all have to pay in. Thats the mentality that puts asswipes like Corzine in power. Having the govt. run this is just what we DON'T need. It costing riders several times the amt. the going rate and people saying its free. Signing up for welfare anytime soon?

Hey it's no $ out of my pocket, I can't teach enough to keep up with the demand. I just want you to know that the class is in no way free and free does not always = good.
Is the format the same as Rider-Ed, or are they more forgiving due to their rates, or lack there of?

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'