Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Need some opinions/Advice
Old 09-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Default Need some opinions/Advice

Ok as many of you know me and my aprilia took a beating on Sunday and I'm pretty sure I've decided to make a change for my track bike. I would like some advice from everyone as to what they would recommend for a track bike. Keep in mind I have been riding a twin for 3 years and love it. I don't think I can go down to a 600 I think I'll miss the torque. Right now I'm leaning towards either a CBR1000RR or a GSXR 1000. Also if you have any recommendations as to where to pick up a track ready version of one of these bikes or a salvage titled bike please let me know. I think the Aprilia is being turned into my daily street rider for next year. At least that's that way things are looking right now. Advice/input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Finding a salvaged 1000 will be tough. They dont last more then an hour in most salvage yards. Call leeseville salvage in rahway and let them know what you want. You may get lucky.

I would still suggest a 600 though. I went from a superhawk to a 600F3 and the F3 was easier to ride fast. Todays 600's are easily better then the aprilia and they are much more forgiving then a 1000...
TPM Coach #71

Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Lakota
Learner's Permit

I also run an F3 now and love it,but one thing to keep in mind if looking for a GSXR 1K,we have had 7 of them split or break frames from the front welds in the CMRA in the last 3 races.although not out there formally the 05/06 1Ks do not seem to crash well at all and one broke when landing hard off a straight called wheelie hill and looked like a low riding chopper after that.Good luck in your search

Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I suggest running an SV, you may find is a much cheaper alternative for a track bike and still maintain the features and feel of a twin.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES
I suggest running an SV, you may find is a much cheaper alternative for a track bike and still maintain the features and feel of a twin.
Ken

I heard someone here has a TLR he wants to sell. Yellow and black #777. Looks nice, just a little damp
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

haha I'm definately not interested in the TL or an SV. If I decided to go down in CC it's going to be a ninja 636 or a Cbr 600RR. If I'm staying with a twin it's going to be my bike. There isn't a better twin then an aprilia

Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

I came from a gsxr 1000 to a cbr 600rr and the cbr is much easier to ride and a lot friendlier then the 1000. I'd go with a 600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
I heard someone here has a TLR he wants to sell. Yellow and black #777. Looks nice, just a little damp
Not just yet Bob, I do have a love/hate affair with my TLR, but she's not leaving the stable as of yet. It was fun getting the RC back on the track this weekend though.

Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 09-26-2006 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Triumph 675

Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Dave i would really look into a cbr1000rr over the gsxr 1000 for the track. I think honda makes an awesome bike that i haven't heard any complaints about. But if you do go down to a a 600 i would go 600rr all the way.

Oh and on a side note, you ever gonna come back to sand and paint your hole patches on the wall.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

tz250 all the way
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #12
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Part your aprilia out, you'll get more for it that way. I'd go for a bike already set up for the track, that is your best bet rather than getting a salvage one and fixing it up.

I'd go for a 600 over a 1000. Any newer 600 puts out comparable power to your aprilia. I recommend a 600 though because it will help you work on cornering speed which is what the track is all about. Riding a 1000 is very challenging due to the power output of the bike, not only do you have high peak HP, but also a lot of torque to manage. Additionally just the speed the thing carries down the straight will be a lot more than what you're used to. So most likely you'll be braking harder and earlier. When you are riding around the track and directing the majority of your attention to throttle inputs that is going to handicap you in another aspect of riding. Additionally a 600 is more forgiving, a 1000 is not. If you're not expecting the bike to do something, especially when putting the power down, it will bite. Or you'll be riding in fear of this aspect of the bike which will hamper your confidence in yourself and the bike therefor slowing you down. But ultimatly it comes down to you, you can buy whatever you will like, but I believe a 600 is better in the long run for learning the finer aspects of track riding.

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Don't take this the wrong way Dave, but maybe what you love so much might be your problem. It's hard to be smooth with that much killer torque pouring out of the throttle every time. I'd bet a nice linear four would do the trick, preferably one in the 600cc range.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

food for thought: the 999r xerox is cheap now because theyre releasing that new desmosedici

Old 09-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Inexpensive and Ducati is something usually never found working in the same sentence. Fixing a crashed Ducati is also never cheap.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser