Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Weightlifting/Body Building
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy
Default Weightlifting/Body Building

How many of you are currently into weight training or bodybuilding? If so what kind of schedule do you usually follow and what kind of weight do you put up.

Right now I'm trying various day splits trying to find the right one for me.
Currently this week I have done....
Back/cardio
Shoudlers/Abs
Chest/cardio
Quads/bi's
(today) Tri's/calves/hamstrings/cardio

If anyone is interested in the exercises I did for each body part just ask and I'll refer to my log and post up.

I feel that sometimes a 5 day split gives my muscles too long of a rest, Im thinking of trying a 4 or even 3 day split (whole body in 3-4 days)

Currently Im 167 lb's at 5'6 1/2" last body fat reading I had was about a month ago at 17% body fat. Im looking to lower that to anywhere from 12-14%.....When I started in June I was 155 lbs of flab. In early december I weighed in at 175 (of flab ) and just began to diet and do alot more cardio to try and "cut up". I would like to get my weight to anywhere from back to 155 - 160 but keeping my strength and whatever muscle I currently have on my body.

I've been training since june and just hit my goal of Benching 225 x 3. My next goal for bench is to be able to hit 225 x 12 reps. Just a little background.......

Maybe if I get enough hits/responses ill post some before/after pics

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Last edited by Kennedy; 02-02-2007 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Queue "I'm 60lbs but I know all about bodybuilding because I read books and the internet" dolts in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I'll post more late when I have time.

My advice is to go heavy, eat, rest, eat, and go heavy again.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 02-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

Sex is the best cardio....

Old 02-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Sex is the best cardio....
I bet your right hand has some insane grip.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Queue "I'm 60lbs but I know all about bodybuilding because I read books and the internet" dolts in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I'll post more late when I have time.

My advice is to go heavy, eat, rest, eat, and go heavy again.
That's a different sport bike related website. And if you're looking to tone up and be cut, body building isn't the avenue you want to investigate.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
if you're looking to tone up and be cut, body building isn't the avenue you want to investigate.
It absolutely is, because you can go through a (clean) bulking phase (eat a lot), and then shift gears to tone the gains.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
That's a different sport bike related website. And if you're looking to tone up and be cut, body building isn't the avenue you want to investigate.
Bodybuilding is the act of building/bulking and then cutting to show those gains you have made.

Weightlifting is the act of lifting weights to be as strong as you can physical appearance makes no difference to you

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 02-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
It absolutely is, because you can go through a (clean) bulking phase (eat a lot), and then shift gears to tone the gains.
All the body builders I know that aren't body builders anymore are now fatsos (I knew 3 competitive body builders a couple years back). The were telling me as they got older and went through their "bulking" stage for the season, it got harder and harder to turn that into muscle / burn it off where as they had no problems when they were younger. It seems to me that Kennedy doesn't have a problem putting on weight, where as someone who has problems putting on the pounds might want to build a base before toning. With that said I don't think that route would be the most beneficial for a person looking to get into shape and build some muscle mass in process instead of bulking up for competition. But that's just my take on what his goals are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
I would like to get my weight to anywhere from back to 155 - 160 but keeping my strength and whatever muscle I currently have on my body.
Quote:
Bodybuilding is the act of building/bulking and then cutting to show those gains you have made.

Weightlifting is the act of lifting weights to be as strong as you can physical appearance makes no difference to you
It sounds like you want to loose weight and still maintain strength / size, doesn't sound like bulking to me. It sounds like toning.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Last edited by jcblitz; 02-02-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
All the body builders I know that aren't body builders anymore are now fatsos (I knew 3 competitive body builders a couple years back). The were telling me as they got older and went through their "bulking" stage for the season, it got harder and harder to turn that into muscle / burn it off where as they had no problems when they were younger. It seems to me that Kennedy doesn't have a problem putting on weight, where as someone who has problems putting on the pounds might want to build a base before toning. With that said I don't think that route would be the most beneficial for a person looking to get into shape and build some muscle mass in process instead of bulking up for competition. But that's just my take on what his goals are.

Totally understood, but you're comparing some competitive bodybuilders with an amateur who wants to put on size and cut it.

Additionally, you're saying that said individuals are "fatsos" -- maintaining muscle is basically a second (or third) job for people, and it doesn't come and maintain naturally. Shit, it doesn't automatically maintain via "chemicals" either.

I think you're correct on Kennedy's goals (but Chris can answer that). My advice is merely an oversimplification on the entire process. My mantra's been to lift heavy or not lift at all, and through a decent diet and keeping at the weight, I've been able to tone up (and gain size) considerably while being able to keep and enhance my strength.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

If you're looking to maintain decent lap times tone up, don't bulk up. You'll also develop better stamina from toning than bulking, just the thing you need for trackdays/racing, and I'm sure your woman won't mind the end results either.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 02-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
Xracer264
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Xracer264 Send a message via Yahoo to Xracer264

Quote:
How many of you are currently into weight training or bodybuilding? If so what kind of schedule do you usually follow and what kind of weight do you put up.

Right now I'm trying various day splits trying to find the right one for me.
Currently this week I have done....
Back/cardio
Shoudlers/Abs
Chest/cardio
Quads/bi's
(today) Tri's/calves/hamstrings/cardio

If anyone is interested in the exercises I did for each body part just ask and I'll refer to my log and post up.

I feel that sometimes a 5 day split gives my muscles too long of a rest, Im thinking of trying a 4 or even 3 day split (whole body in 3-4 days)

Currently Im 167 lb's at 5'6 1/2" last body fat reading I had was about a month ago at 17% body fat. Im looking to lower that to anywhere from 12-14%.....When I started in June I was 155 lbs of flab. In early december I weighed in at 175 (of flab ) and just began to diet and do alot more cardio to try and "cut up". I would like to get my weight to anywhere from back to 155 - 160 but keeping my strength and whatever muscle I currently have on my body.

I've been training since june and just hit my goal of Benching 225 x 3. My next goal for bench is to be able to hit 225 x 12 reps. Just a little background.......

Maybe if I get enough hits/responses ill post some before/after pics

Kennedy,

I currently train or excercise three to four days a week. Since I haven't trained for a while here is what I do currently:

Abs every workout
Finish with cardio after every workout except Quads (I'll usually warm up some cardio)
Day 1 - Chest/ biceps and triceps
Day 2 - back and shoulders
Day 3 - quads, hamstrings and calves

At my age I'm just looking to stay "fit" and tone. Plus I don't have alot of time to go to the gym like I did when I was 21....LOL

"Me and Max we no like" Valentino Rossi in "Faster"

Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

cardio everyday if your trying to lose weight....worst part of the workout, but completely necessary. you'd actually be surprised about how much your diet can effect everything also no matter how much you workout

day1:chest
day2-back
day3-shoulders
day4-legs
day5-arms
cardio everyday

as far as weight i just put the weight as heavy as i can so i can do between 5-8 reps

Last edited by shadoxkila; 02-02-2007 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

hymm....i know ur suppose to let your muscles rest or what not. But i work out about 3-4 days a week. start off with either 4 miles on elliptical or 2 miles running/walking. But i do back, chest, biceps, triceps, basically everything on the upper body everyday. I do legs once week. But then again, i ski/snowboard so i can't really push it that hard otherwise it would suck on the mountain. I was hurting at first n my muscles didn't recover that quickly. But since now, my muscles have been recovering fine and i don't get sore at all.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #14
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

I have been hitting the gym for about 3 months now. PM cakes for a good workout because I just do what he tells me too.

Also, Vin is right. For those of you who don't believe him, you should see him in person. He's a pretty big guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
HookRone
Short Shifter

Kennedy, congrats on metting your goal. I need to set myself a bench goal.

I do a 3 day split.

1. Chest/Tris
2. Back/ Bi's
3. Back/legs

30-40 min cardio

Try to pack on somemore mass for the summer. Actually cutting down calories and try to cut.

Last edited by HookRone; 02-02-2007 at 10:16 PM..