Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 01-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #31
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Onedwn5up

I didn't post it up here but I had issues with the landlord and some other stuff in the 13th hour so it looks like this place won't be. Oh well. But the good news is, after going back to the drawing board I think I have finally found another place. The realtor is putting the lease together now and it should be ready tomorrow.

The new spot is in prospect park. right between haledon and paterson. Pretty easy to get to. Not as easy to get to or as easily visible as the other shop but this place is nice. And it's big. I don't have the large parking lot but the workspace is nice. All hardwood floors, checkerboard tile when you walk in, compressor lines, 220v service and the better part of a machine shop with all of the owners stuff thats in there that he said I can use, so thats a bonus. Hoping to get this all tied up so i can start moving in on Saturday. I'm going to wait till I have a signed lease to post pictures this time. LOL. But this place is nice. I can't wait to get set up and get movin. Race and riding season is right around the corner. -eric
Team ProMotion Coach & NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/LRRS #973
www.myspace.com/roadracerx
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
Middleweight SuperSport, Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Grand Prix, Heavyweight SuperSport, Heavyweight Superbike, Unlimited SuperSport, Unlimited Superbike
Need Tire Service, an Oil Change or Parts Installed? For Competition-Level Service Call Paddock Race Service * Wayne, NJ * 973-704-1555 *

Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #32
gsxryager024
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to gsxryager024

IDK this might not be the best idea but who knows it’s a little out there.

I love working on my own bikes but always come across the problem of not having the right tool or the time to do it in. What about someway of renting space (W/ tools and bike lifts) to customers for them to do the work them selves. Most people don’t have all the tools or the right tools or the fastest tools to do a job. I know when I was working on my bike a 1hr job turned into 3hrs BC I did not have all the tools nor the best tools for the job and I was always scared of it falling.

You don’t have to base your shop on this but I believe it would be beneficiary for you as a new owner trying to find a cheap way to make money as well as the customer by making affordable repairs for them.

Rent out the stations at an hourly charge. A) you need less employees or no employees B) it would bring more people into your shop looking for cheaper service C) have professional help with the bike if then run into a jam (charging them extra for this service) D) make money off parts E) build clientele

If you think about it, it would not draw away from shop service fees for repairs but bring in your “I don’t need to take my bike to a shop I can do it myself” people. It would almost be a Turn key operation like a self serve car wash and you can sit back and collect there money. Plus the costomer wouldent feel like they were getting screw over some how.

Just a thought that popped into my head as I was reading your post, From a guy who likes working on my own things. I would get affordability and peace of mind by taking my bike to a place like this.

“Every great idea was first a new idea”

Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #33
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

the idea of renting space to people conceptually makes sense but lots of other issues come into play. First, there is availability of time. Something like this would make me have to be there myself at fixed hours or pay someone else to be. Then there's wear and tear on tools, equipment and the building itself. It might also bring in people that are not so desirable. And its illegal to discriminate in a place of business so I would have to let anyone who wants to be in my shop in there. And I don't mean discrimination in racial terms, I just mean in it in the sense that someone gives you a bad vibe like they're up to no good but regardless you have to let them in. Again...might not be so desirable a situation.
But that idea does bring up an interesting concept. Having a "membership" for a select number of individuals. This way I get to screen who I let in my shop. I'll have to think some more about that. There are still some pieces of equipment I need to purchase so I was thinking as I was driving in to work today that for someone who say kicks up $200 they get free (off-the-bike) tire changes for life. Something along those lines so I can raise capital for certain pieces of equipment I still need.

Just for the record though, I am not looking to become "just another shop". I would be much happier with a smaller number of clients with a higher quality level of work for those who value that. Quick turn-around stuff or agreed upon time frames for certain things. And some basic service items at reasonable costs scheduled by appointment only. So if you call me and want an oil change at 8pm on a wed night, you come in with your bike, hang out for a few, change your oil, look over things then send you on your way. Work all done in one shot in one nice easy process. Part of my plan is to also have ducati and bmw techs, as well as hon/yam/kaw/suz techs on call for certain work items. So if you have a 999R and need the timing belt changed or the valves adjusted, I will still be able to take care of that for you. But again, scheduled work that is being provided in a protected and selective environment.

The people that I know who have run succesful small operations for years are guys that only take in as much work as they can handle at a given time, take great care of those people and get it back into their hands as fast as possible while also not cutting any corners on the work or job.

I have some great stuff in mind but the first move is to just get in the door. I'm hoping that happens this weekend. But when things get moving and get going, I promise that it will be anything but average.
Middleweight SuperSport, Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Grand Prix, Heavyweight SuperSport, Heavyweight Superbike, Unlimited SuperSport, Unlimited Superbike
Need Tire Service, an Oil Change or Parts Installed? For Competition-Level Service Call Paddock Race Service * Wayne, NJ * 973-704-1555 *

Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #34
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedwn5up View Post
The people that I know who have run succesful small operations for years are guys that only take in as much work as they can handle at a given time, take great care of those people and get it back into their hands as fast as possible while also not cutting any corners on the work or job.
Throw in honesty and thats basically how WCW operates.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #35
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

yeah, nothing is worse than being lied to by someone, or even worse, someone who gives you a bs answer because they don't know the real one. So yeah, honesty and trust are pretty important things in this business.

And I have heard good things about the guys at WCW. I'll have to stop by and meet them sometime. I see a lot of WCW stickers on bikes at our trackdays.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #36
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

as far as "renting out space", that does sound like a great idea, but......
unfortunatly we are a sue happy society with crazy insurance requirements, and doing that would could be a huge liability issue.
Now, to be honest, Bill and I used to let a very select few to work on their own cars in our garages when we had our shop. But it was not a formal or usual manner of business.
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 01-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #37
sonny
Craigslist Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher View Post
as far as "renting out space", that does sound like a great idea, but......
unfortunatly we are a sue happy society with crazy insurance requirements, and doing that would could be a huge liability issue.
Now, to be honest, Bill and I used to let a very select few to work on their own cars in our garages when we had our shop. But it was not a formal or usual manner of business.
Thats what a waiver is for.. There was this place called the "hobby" shop. It was 35/hr for a full hydro lift and all the tools you needed. You had to sign a waiver saying if you were hurt or hurt yourself (not by neglegence of the hobby shop) you culdnt sue. If they were neglegent though..

Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #38
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

YES!!!!!! I'm In!!!!!!

Signed the lease agreement today and I have the keys! I am so psyched. Going to be a lot of cleaning up, moving and organizing to do this weekend. I can't wait though.

Look for a new thread shortly that is more appropriately titled since this location is not in Clifton.

This is where I am located
Google Map & Satellite Image of New Shop Location

Anyone that wants to pitch in and help me move and unload stuff this weekend, let me know! Everything is already in my box truck so it is just a matter of unloading and then moving and arranging stuff inside.
-eric

Old 01-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #39
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedwn5up View Post
Look for a new thread shortly that is more appropriately titled since this location is not in Clifton.
Hey Erik, congratz on getting your building, we all wish you the best of luck with it. Just have to remember the site guidlines. If you'd like to work something out, let me know.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #40
yb929rr
Skid Mark

congratulations!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #41
Retom7
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Retom7 Send a message via Yahoo to Retom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Thats what a waiver is for.. There was this place called the "hobby" shop. It was 35/hr for a full hydro lift and all the tools you needed. You had to sign a waiver saying if you were hurt or hurt yourself (not by neglegence of the hobby shop) you culdnt sue. If they were neglegent though..
Unfortunately all the waivers in the world still won't stop someone from bringing you to court if they really want to. That's the sad truth, but it's the truth. I've always been a fan of "stupidity = pain" and have learned the hard way a few times... but never tried to blame other people, it was always my own stupid fault.

Congrats on the new place, let's see some pictures of it!

Ye Olde Myspace

Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #42
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

I'm aware. Just trying to get things moving and sharing some of my excitement. I'm a ways away from opening the doors and selling anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes982 View Post
Hey Erik, congratz on getting your building, we all wish you the best of luck with it. Just have to remember the site guidlines. If you'd like to work something out, let me know.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #43
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

Man, cleaning up a place that hasn't seen any use in a number of years is a lot of work. Over the past couple of days the entire place has been cleaned out from top to bottom and everything is now in the center of the room. Shop vac'd every square inch of the place yesterday and I have to say it's starting to look good. Did some spackle and patch work and now we've started painting. I'm an amatuer when it comes to painting and I was thinking this was going to be much easier than it is. I'm doing the walls in two-tone with a really dark maroon on the bottom half and white on top. We got about 100 feet of the top half of the wall done last night before we had to call it quits. So we still have the other side to get done and the back wall. The whole time I'm doing this, I'm like, damn, if we had another 5 people we could get this done in no time.

If anyone has some time to lend and doesn't have anything going on this evening we could sure use your help. I'll take care of the pizza and beer. Post up or send me a pm if you can help out. I'm sure your help will be good for a couple tire changes or some oil changes in the future.
And if you wan't to help but aren't sure since you've never really painted before, don't worry. My one friend that is helping is a painter and he just tells us all what to do. It's pretty easy besides that. but I could really use the help so if you can come out that would be awesome! Thanks! -eric

Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #44
duc748pilot
chicken wing

If you need any other type of work eric let me know. Framing, sheetrock, this and that...etc etc

Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #45
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

after we get the painting done I need to look at building counters tops and work stations. I am thinking about doing a center island on caster for moving equipment back and forth. This way I can still get cars and other vehicles in there when I need to. Plus more than one person can work off the same bench on either side. But we'll see. Need to get these walls finished first. I can't be more than 5 minutes from you at the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot View Post
If you need any other type of work eric let me know. Framing, sheetrock, this and that...etc etc