Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #16
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jay_ View Post
I haven't picked a day yet. There is still alot I have to read up on first. You can't use regular anti-freeze on the track right? Other than that, it's just taping up the lights?
You don't have to change the coolant for any TeamProMotion track day.
All you need to do is tape up the lights. You should pull the headlight
fuses so the tape will not bake itself onto the clear plastic lens, and you
should disconnect the brake light so it can not become a distraction to
other riders, and if possible, remove the mirrors. You have to tape them up
if you leave them on, so you may as well just remove them.

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
If you're signing up with TPM, they'll send you the rules. For most beginner track days you don't need to do anything much to your bike. Just tape up the lights (or remove them) and that's about it. If you want to get more serious then you can start safety wiring stuff but that's only required after you move up to one of the more serious groups. The ART Basic class is really good and is free now so it's well worth doing IMO. I'm actually thinking of going to PocoNO again soon and signing up for ART II. I enjoyed the training aspect probably more than the going fast bit. My friend was the opposite. We both found that the instructors barely said a word to either of us because we didn't need that much help compared to some of the people in the class. The only thing about PocoNO for you (IMO) would be your bike. If you're doing the East course then it's pretty damn small. I'm no super fast guy or track day junkie but I didn't get my 750 out of second most of the day. I'm sure if I were better I could quite easily and obviously I don't know how good you are but I found it a little frustrating because I think gear selection is one of the areas I could use some work. Anyway, it's definitely fun, some people certainly cut down their street riding after getting into track days, I know at least one guy who loves track days but still loves riding street. I like both. Riding on the street is something I really enjoy but I'm generally a lot more easy going than some of my friends, I just light it up in the corners, everywhere else I ride the same as I drive.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself dude.

I am one of those few who still love both street and track.

For east most guys run 2nd thru 4th gears and thats about it. It could be worth swapping sprockets if you have them to get more power down low since you arent going much over 110mph anyway.

Tom

Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

Yeah, up to 3rd on the back straight on the East course, I definitely went over 100 but not sure by how much. When I went to 3rd it was only to pass other people on bigger bikes and only for maybe a second or two before slowing down for the end of the straight.

I still like street riding too, a track is a great way to work on technique and improve riding but ultimately it's a little boring doing the same set of corners over and over again. That's why I really like street riding. I guess TT would be a great compromise for me but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #19
_Jay_
Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I am one of those few who still love both street and track.

For east most guys run 2nd thru 4th gears and thats about it. It could be worth swapping sprockets if you have them to get more power down low since you arent going much over 110mph anyway.

Tom
I have already gone -1 on the front sprocket.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
but ultimately it's a little boring doing the same set of corners over and over again.
No way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jay_ View Post
I have already gone -1 on the front sprocket.
Don't even worry about gearing...just ride and have fun.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

I would get into fifth just at the end of the back strait on Pocono east then I had to down shift like a mofo... that god for no engine breaking

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #22
_Jay_
Burnout

I am gonna look into getting a set of track plastics if I do decide to give it a whirl. No sense in destroying my OEM ones if I lowside or something.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #23
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

For me, it is. I think I'd enjoy a longer course than PocoNO, obviously that'd give me more diversity in corners. I long track is something I'd be doing just for fun like Spa or the Nord Schleifer. For practicing technique a shorter track is good but that's more about practice than outright fun for me. I can also get that by going to a car park for form practice and you can easily practice lines on the street.

Obviously this is all just IMO and I've only done one track day at PocoNO east which is clearly not the best track in the world so maybe my opinion will change once I ride something a bit better.

ism409 - don't you have a smaller two stroke though dude?

_Jay_ - I have track plastics for my bike and although that takes a little bit of nervousness out of my mind it's a real PITA to change them over and back if you only have one bike. I want to get a track bike, either a gixxer 600 salvage or an RS250.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #24
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Obviously this is all just IMO and I've only done one track day at PocoNO east which is clearly not the best track in the world so maybe my opinion will change once I ride something a bit better.
LOL, theres a whole world out there...definitely recommend Beaver Run, Summit Main, Mosport, VIR...what track next? [panic] I can't stop typing all these tracks...I'm gettin the shakes maaannn, I need a qwik fix

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #25
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Dude you guys could ride the same track over and over and over again and each time see something new and still have something to improve.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #26
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Yeah WTF is up with all this analysis and shit? Get on the bike and fucking ride. When someone throws down a faster lap time, go faster. You can see where you're slow and fast just by how the people around you are doing while in the same turn. Jesus, this ain't rocket science people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #27
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes982 View Post
LOL, theres a whole world out there...definitely recommend Beaver Run, Summit Main, Mosport, VIR...what track next? [panic] I can't stop typing all these tracks...I'm gettin the shakes maaannn, I need a qwik fix
Come to fusa with me tomorrow

Tom

Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Come to fusa with me tomorrow

Tom
I'll see you tomorrow Tom!

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #29
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Dude you guys could ride the same track over and over and over again and each time see something new and still have something to improve.
Until youre blowing by everyone in the blue group theres always room to improve

Tom

Old 08-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #30
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

For me there's a difference between going out and having fun on a bike and going out and learning how to go faster. Maybe it's all the same for you guys but I see distinct differences between the two. I like learning about technique, when I see someone with their arm slightly in the wrong position or not leaning quite right it stands out very brightly to me. I certainly derive some enjoyment from leaning form and going faster but a track day is not the place for me to be basing my speed of others, it's a place for me to learn how to ride better which ultimately will result in riding faster (one would hope). I'm not saying I have nothing to learn about PocoNO east, I'm saying that, for fun, it's not really the track for me. For technique I can pretty much learn in a car park and don't really need a track to do so.