Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Extreme Lean Angle > Track Days
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Track Day 101
Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206
Default Track Day 101

Ok since there seems to be an influx of people seeing the light and heading up to track days I thought I would start up a post to help you out.
Riding the track is a much more fun experience IMO than riding on the street. Many riders give up on the street after a few track days. The feeling of taking your machine to its and your limits is an amazing experience.
First off contact your local track and find out when the track days are scheduled. Be sure to ask what requirements need to be met.
Here is a basic list of what most tracks *usually* require, again contact them to be sure.
Bike Prep
1. New or basically new tire. I would suggest getting some race tires, they will help out so much with your cornering speed it is not even funny.
2. Remove your mirrors, tape up lights. This usually is track to track. Some want you to take off your signals and mirrors completely, some just want taping. As far as taping up is concerned I would suggest getting colored duct tape. It seems to come off easier than the silver kind. I would not worry about making the tape really pretty, especially over your headlights; it is easier to take off if the tape is not flush over the lights. Also UNPLUG your lights; the duct tape will melt onto your upper. Disengage your brake light, and signals too! No one wants to see your signals blinking lap after lap nor your brake lights
3. Some tracks require full race bodywork. Basically they want a lower that will hold oil if you go down or your drain plug comes off.
4. Safteywire. This is when you must drill the heads of certain bolts on your bike then safteywire them together so if it comes loose it will not go flying at the guy behind you at 100mph. Safteywiring is an easy but time consuming process, but if you don't want things coming off the bike it is a good idea.
5. Get your suspension set up for your weight before the track day. Sure your suspension may feel fine for street riding with your girl but you are going to be putting it through the ringer at the track, your riding will be greatly increased with a tuned up suspension.
6. Steering Damper. Most tracks will require you have a working one. Tank slappers do happen a lot at the track, be sure your damper is in good working order.
7. Remove your license plate.
8. Change your oil, oil filter, clean/change air filter, check torque specs on all bodywork and outer bolts is a good idea.
9. If your track day requires you to go through tech, save yourself the headache and clean your engine before hand, make sure you have no oil leaks. Tech really loves a clean and tidy engine and bike, help them out and help you out.
10. I would suggest taping over your speedo too, it is a distraction and you do not need to know what your indicated speed is.
11. Be sure to find out if you need to replace your coolant with water. Some tracks require this.
You and your gear
Gear
1. Suit. 1 or 2 piece are usually fine. The 2 piece must zip completely around your waist.
2. Back protector. Not the foam pad in the back of your jacket but an underlying back protector.
3. Full Face SNELL approved helmet. Be sure to find out what year they want minimum. Some ask for 5 years or newer, some 10 years or newer.
4. Gloves. Gauntlet style road racing gloves.
5. Boots. Road race style boots.
7. Knee pucks. You may not drag on your first track day but make sure you have them!
Pit stuff
1. Air pressure gauge. I like the digital ones, small cheap and accurate. Your air pressure will be set much lower than street settings. If your track has trackside vendors talk to the tire man of your choice and see what they recommend. As a blanket idea of pressure on a warm day you will run around 30psi if not a little lower depending on weight, bike, temp ect. Check the pressure when the tires are COLD.
2. Race stands. You can use your side stand but it is better for your tires to lift the bike up after each session. Your tires become VERY soft when they are being balled up. Also remember to turn your tires right after you get into the pits a couple times. Your brake pads will be very hot and can warp your disk if you leave them in the same position for any long period of time.
4. Shade. Pop up shades are nice, back of the trailer, somewhere to get out of the sun.
5. LIQUIDS. Very important. Drink lots of water and Gatorade. Dehydration sucks.
6. Tools, bring a good socket set, wrenches, torque wrench, Service manual, extra duct tape ect. Sucks being without tools when you need them.
7. Food. You need to eat. lol
8. Notepad. You will learn a lot talking to others, it is good to take notes.
9. A buddy. VERY helpful. Bring a camera; they can take pictures of you during your sessions. Picts and video is also helpful when you go home, you can see how your body position is going.
10. Emergency contact sheet. Have it on you at all times. Just in case ya know, you are riding very fast with others doing the same thing, wrecks happen.
11. Gas can. One of those big 5 gal+ cans. You will go through at least one tank, again if there is a trackside vendor get some racing fuel!
12. Fire extinguisher. Most tracks require one to be in each pit and visible, don't toss it under a bunch of junk.
13. Seats, bring a lawn chair or two.
14. Pit bike. Bicycle, scooter, pocket bike ect. Sucks walking end to end in the pits in leathers.
15. Money, bring some extra cash in case you need more food, gas, parts ect.
16. SUNSCREEN. Especially for corner workers and spectators. Your going to be out there all day in the sun(providing it is sunny) better to be safe than sorry.

The night before your track day make a checklist. Go over each thing and make 100% sure you have it with you. It really sucks forgetting things.
That is all I can think of right now, be sure to add anything else I forgot.
I highly recommend anyone with at least a year of experience on the street take a track day or a race class. They may be pricey but IMO it is money WELL spent. This is what sportbikes are really made for, experience it in a controlled environment!

Old 05-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
The night before your track day make a checklist. Go over each thing and make 100% sure you have it with you. It really sucks forgetting things.
when you load the bike on the trailor don't forget to take you BIKE KEY, i forgot it but remembered as i got no more then 1/2 mile from my house

Old 06-05-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Doh!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
TomMatas3
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to TomMatas3 Send a message via Yahoo to TomMatas3

i will e doing my first track day and ART basic course this year @ pocono east! i appreciate this post.. i can't freaking wait til April 16th!!

Old 01-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMatas3
Art Basic@ pocono east! April 16th!!
Beaver Run man...Beaver Run...

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Ok since there seems to be an influx of people seeing the light and heading up to track days I thought I would start up a post to help you out. Riding the track is a much more fun experience IMO than riding on the street. Many riders give up on the street after a few track days.
"IMO" is correct...but the rest is a great post.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 01-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #7
TomMatas3
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to TomMatas3 Send a message via Yahoo to TomMatas3

whats better about Beaver Run than Pocono? which is a better course for first timers?

where is beaverun anyway?

Old 01-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
CBRBob
A 37 Production

BeaveRun has nicer pavement and a different layout. It is approx 6hrs from NJ. The downside of Pocono is that the pavement has some bumpy areas (that BeaveR is also getting) due to cars driving on it and that Pocono is in a nascrap facility.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMatas3
whats better about Beaver Run than Pocono? which is a better course for first timers?

where is beaverun anyway?
Well Tom i have no track experience to help you pick a track. But alot of the guys say summit or beaver run are the best places to go.

But im gonna do my art basic at Pocono just to get the feel for the whole track experience. Maybe i'll setup my art basic with you.

But don't forget to get the best out of your track run your gonna need one of these on your bike:
http://www.sportbikeaddicts.com/foru...3&d=1121377977

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

Has anyone heard anything about Englishtown building a track?

MySpace MyWork

Old 01-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurts1000RR
Has anyone heard anything about Englishtown building a track?
As far as i know the track is for cars only at this point. Plus all the pics and drawings of the track don't make it look bike friendly at all.

I'm just waiting for the new track coming to North Jersey.

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 01-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

I heard a rumer from a guy that used to work for me that rides the dirt track there regularly. Says they have all but the last turn planned, but the last turn is too close to gates by the parking area for the town to allow it. Of coarse he had a beer in his hand at the time. Who knows.

MySpace MyWork

Old 01-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by njf4i

I'm just waiting for the new track coming to North Jersey.
Tell me more????

MySpace MyWork

Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurts1000RR
Tell me more????
Where's CBRBOB when you need him?

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 01-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
CBRBob
A 37 Production

There is no course in N. Jersey. There is one thats in the early stages in S. Jersey (Millville). Should be LATE 06 or mid 07.

The E-town track is for go-carts or at the largest, import autocross. TPM rode on it 2 years ago and said NFW!!!!!!!!
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils