Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > Got Gear?
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Reasons why gear is important
Old 08-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Bobby
Squid

Default Reasons why gear is important

This has been a very hot topic among riders and there's no definitive answer. I thought I'd start a thread about it and would really like to hear both sides of the arguement.

*This is a discussion so don't take comments too personal and please don't flame others for their views.

I'll start with my general rules of thumb:

- Any time I go for a spirited group ride, I will always wear full leathers.
- If I don't go out in full gear, I always wear a lid, jacket, gloves and boots.
- If it's too hot for gear, I don't ride.

I usually ride in full gear 98% of the time. The times I wear jeans is when I'm putting around town. I do this because I'm very aware of the consequences and I've been riding for about 23 yrs. I usually try to educate new riders about the benefits of gear and why they should wear it and I try to be a good example of it by wearing it myself.

There's also another reason for full gear on group rides. There are times where the pace might be over your head and you try to keep up. I know everyone will tell you that you should ride your own ride but some of the younger riders get red-mist and think they have more talent than they really do. Your chances of going down might be greater in a group if you don't have self-constraint. This is something you have to decide for yourself after you put your ego aside.

The full gear rule that I've always applied to any ride I organize is for a few reasons. The obvious reason of protecting the rider that goes down. I also don't want to hold/handle someone covered in blood because they were too stubborn/cheap/dumb/whatever to wear gear and went down. It can also mean the difference between getting up and brushing the dirt off yourself and riding home and winning a chauffeured ride to the nearest emergency room.

I'm sure I have more but this should be a good start. So what's your views and opinions on this?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Gear

Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Gear.

"There are times where the pace might be over your head and you try to keep up."

..That is the begining of the end..

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

gear is important.

i usually start off in 1st gear, then slip through neutral, then up to 2nd...

seriously, i'm always geared up when riding - like bobby said, if it's too hot (or too damn cold) i don't ride.

TRACK DISTANCES

Last edited by GinoE; 08-03-2006 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117
Thumbs up

I agree with BOBBY (gear is good!). I'm sure everyone on the ride this past Sunday that SPRHK hosted, notice the less experienced guys (the non-SBA'ers) were the ones with the least amount of protection. And at least two of those guys (R1 & CBR1000) were riding WAY over their heads. I spoke with them about wearing gear and they have the young and invincible syndrome. I myself have laid down my share of machines and know the value of personal protective gear.

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon
the young and invincible syndrome.

Got to love the squids!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
I'll start with my general rules of thumb:

- Any time I go for a spirited group ride, I will always wear full leathers.
- If I don't go out in full gear, I always wear a lid, jacket, gloves and boots.
- If it's too hot for gear, I don't ride.
Exactly the same for me, minus pants. I wear jeans. I don't like leathers, though I've considered draggin jeans.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Bobby
Squid

I don't understand the logic of "but I wear jeans" that I keep hearing. Jeans are made out of cotton and will last maybe 10 ft in a slide. They have rivets that will heat up and melt into your skin (yes, I've seen that before). They don't offer much more protection than shorts or sweats in a get-off. Maybe some wind protection.

With that said, I know the risks and I'll take them if I know that I'll just be cruising or not going too far.

I wear underarmour under my leathers and they're good for up to 90 deg. 95 isn't too bad but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Bobby
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon
I agree with BOBBY (gear is good!). I'm sure everyone on the ride this past Sunday that SPRHK hosted, notice the less experienced guys (the non-SBA'ers) were the ones with the least amount of protection. And at least two of those guys (R1 & CBR1000) were riding WAY over their heads. I spoke with them about wearing gear and they have the young and invincible syndrome. I myself have laid down my share of machines and know the value of personal protective gear.
Since it was my first ride with SBA, I thought you guys were squids when I saw what most of you guys were wearing

Yeah, those 2 guys were quite squidly. Both were 24 yrs old. I asked the R1 rider if he's ever gone down and he said yes. I guess some people don't learn or it was a light get-off.

It was still a great day of riding

Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
HondaGalToo
Burnout

ATGATT.
"all the gear all the time".

I never leave home without it. Fullface Arai helmet, held gloves, A-Stars boots. If it's a day ride, 2 piece perfed leathers (fully armored). If it's an overnight ride, rainy, cool day, a ride to a destination where I'll want normal clothes, or commuting to work: 2 piece Aerostich (also armored). I use the built-in back protector in the jackets.

Bobby's right, jeans don't offer much protection. Maybe draggin' jeans give more, but there's no substitute for leathers or a 'stich, IMHO. I'm not a fan of the mesh gear, either, but if it's all someone will wear, it beats a t-shirt for sure.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
GIX750
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to GIX750

i was on the sunday ride, i always wear my jacket and riding pants and boots (both ICON) cuz i can't afford leathers. but i will admit if i'm ridin in my town or very close by i will wear pants and jacket or just a shirt if i'm goin to the deli which is about 1.2 mile from my house, if that

Old 08-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

question: what if you're not out for a 100% ride? maybe out with friends for dinner as an example.

i used to wear this BOHN ARMOR under my jeans and remove them once i reach my destination.

lately, on the rides to bike nights i wear this TEKNIC SUPERVENT PANT

TRACK DISTANCES

Last edited by GinoE; 08-03-2006 at 08:07 PM..

Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
Bobby
Squid

If I'm going out to dinner with friends, I cage it unless my friends are riding too. Then I wear full gear. Textiles most likely.

Gix750 - Most accidents happen less than 5 miles from home. At least wear a jacket. There's cheap leathers always on sale. Check newenough.com, www.motorcyclecloseouts.com, etc and you should be able to get some great deals.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
causef0rconcern
Up On One

Send a message via AIM to causef0rconcern

Had two buddies go down seperatly this week. Neither in any gear other than a lid. One in no shirt, one in a sleeveless T. One got what he deserved (he was drunk, had been eating tranqs and barbituates all night), but the other way just running errands around town and hit a hot, melty tar snake and highsided. Needless to say...I hope they learned their lessons. I can't afford any expensive leathers right now, but I'm starting a new job and thats priority one. And a new pair of Sidis. For now, no matter where I'm going, its my Fieldsheer textile, AGV Titan leather gloves, lid, and...jeans and skateshoes. It's what I have right now so it'll do, but I know the risks and am planning on getting geared up proper soon.

'00 Suzuki GSX-R 750: Lonely in NJ.
'92 Honda VFR750 streetfighter: 500lbs of all weather, curb hopping, apocalypse-ready, pothole-eating urban assault device

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MOTORIZED

Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
CuCullin
MCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
I don't understand the logic of "but I wear jeans" that I keep hearing. Jeans are made out of cotton and will last maybe 10 ft in a slide. They have rivets that will heat up and melt into your skin (yes, I've seen that before). They don't offer much more protection than shorts or sweats in a get-off. Maybe some wind protection.

With that said, I know the risks and I'll take them if I know that I'll just be cruising or not going too far.

I wear underarmour under my leathers and they're good for up to 90 deg. 95 isn't too bad but I gotta draw the line somewhere.
Jeans can be made out of things other than cotton, and thickness varies. Yes, its only a second skin, but as I mentioned I don't like leather pants - won't wear them, don't like them. I don't feel I can move around as well with them, and for that reason, I don't feel comfortable wearing them on a bike. Yes, I know it stretches and gets easier - I don't like them.

To be more specific, its denim, as in a cotton twill. Its not much protection, but it is enough to act as a second skin. Its far better than shorts or sweats, especially considering the varying types of denim jeans.

As a firefighter, I know how hot it needs to be for those rivets to melt - I'm not concerned about that when I'm on a bike.

That said - no, it isn't much, but its better than shorts and sweats, more maneuverable than leathers (for me), and I'm comfortable with the degree of protection I have.