Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > Got Gear?
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Leathers
Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy
Default Leathers

Well its come to the time for me to start thinking about leathers.

The way I see it is....A one piece is not practical for cruising and hanging out at bike nights/days. I would wear the one piece when I know I am going out to ride and not BS(Usually if I am by myself there is no stopping so basically everyday that im not BSing Im riding) . Now I guess I can ask if it would be better to have a one piece or two? Two is definatly more practical but fit and overall protection I think is greatly decreased. I am definatly leaning towards one piece....any comments and or suggestions?

Chris

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 05-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

you could get a two piece that zips together...thus you can wear just the jacket when BSing....I'm looking to get the pants to go with my jacket since it's been decided I'm crazy for wanting to install pucks on my jeans

Old 05-28-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
JasonB
.doosh

Send a message via AIM to JasonB Send a message via Yahoo to JasonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
you could get a two piece that zips together...thus you can wear just the jacket when BSing....I'm looking to get the pants to go with my jacket since it's been decided I'm crazy for wanting to install pucks on my jeans
You'er fucking crazy anyway.

I have a 2 piece that i use for the track and track only. I may sometime use the jacket on the street but not alot. It has a zipper all around to connect the 2 pieces. I also have quiet a few jackets that i use for Bsing around. But will always ride with a jacket
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~ View Post
Jason is one good looking black man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~Today 04:29 PM
you are a hot black man in my book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
but instead i"m sitting in an airport internet chatting with a two bald men, one former gangbanger who drives a volvo and the other who thinks he's monk
1999 Red Kawasaki ZX6R – Sold
2001 Black and Silver GSX-R1000 - Sold
2007 Blue GSXR 600 - Sold
2006 Black GSXR 600 – Sold
2008 Blue and Orange Yamaha R6 – Current track bike
TPM/Nesba #819

Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
Kennedy
Cake Cop

I always ride with a jacket, gloves, and long jeans and my boots. But I want something a little more protective for the "harder rides"..... I guess depending on what options I have will be my deciding factor....

Mack isn't crazy..... :uh:

Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

I've got both....2pc for the street, 1 pc for the track...

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Kennedy
Cake Cop

If I could have both I would....but im have limited funding

Old 06-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
If I could have both I would....but im have limited funding
Go with the 2pc.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Well its come to the time for me to start thinking about leathers.

The way I see it is....A one piece is not practical for cruising and hanging out at bike nights/days. I would wear the one piece when I know I am going out to ride and not BS(Usually if I am by myself there is no stopping so basically everyday that im not BSing Im riding) . Now I guess I can ask if it would be better to have a one piece or two? Two is definatly more practical but fit and overall protection I think is greatly decreased. I am definatly leaning towards one piece....any comments and or suggestions?

Chris
I have a 2 piece Alpinestars and I can't say enough good things about it.

I don't think that fit and protection are compromised at all regarding 2 pieces vs. 1 piece leathers. In reality, it's about what your own personal needs are. The location of armor and pucks on both 1 and 2 piece suits are the same.

IMO if you buy a suit, 1 or 2 piece, under $300 then you're not getting good quality leathers. That's the only place that I could see protection being compromised.

Look around, check out www.kneedraggers.com since they carry a lot of different brands. See what you like. If you have any friends with leathers ask to try theirs on so you can get an idea of what fit is like.

Let us know how ya make out!

Old 06-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

2 piece suits have a weak spot. The zipper that connects the top and bottom. For the street they are ok and probably more preferable... but for the track I would never wear one.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 06-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ism409
2 piece suits have a weak spot. The zipper that connects the top and bottom. For the street they are ok and probably more preferable... but for the track I would never wear one.
I don't agree that the zipper is a confirmed weak spot. If that was the case, then several trackday organizations such as TPM, Reduc, NESBA and WERA wouldn't allow them. They hold up just as well after a crash as a 1 piece would.

Perfect example, Drew has a 2 piece Vanson (if I remember correctly from Mosport) and he didn't experience any issues with the zipper connect.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
~Donna~
Wanna play doctor?

Jen how would you say the sizing runs for the womens line of 2 pcs? I guess what I am asking is if Alpinestars runs true to size for the ladies. Only thing I am worried about is the inseam. I normally wear between a 32" and 33" leg inseam.

Never make someone the center of your life for you will only be on the perimeter of theirs

Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
duc748pilot
chicken wing

ok well...heres my 2 cents if anyone cares. i'll give my take on each...

2 peice - rode with a 2 peice joe rocket speedmaster for a few years on the street and track. crashed ummm......3 times total in it. never had a problem. all in all...combining the 3 crashes i probably slid around 100 ft total on concrete, curbs, guardrail, and good ol' pocono rutty mud. the leather is barely scuffed. the pants are still pretty much mint other than a few scuffs.....the jacket is the same. never had an issue with the zipper.

1 peice - got my motogp suit recently. kangaroo is the shit! so much lighter. the quality is astonishing for the price also. the fit is amazing. only thing i have complaints of.......that i need two fuckin people to help me get out of the arms after a race. lol.

all in all.....i would wear a two peice on the street still. But i would never wear a two peice on the racetrack again. especially seeing some of the crashes this past race weekend at summit

Chris

Old 06-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~
Jen how would you say the sizing runs for the womens line of 2 pcs? I guess what I am asking is if Alpinestars runs true to size for the ladies. Only thing I am worried about is the inseam. I normally wear between a 32" and 33" leg inseam.
The sizing runs pretty true to size, but be careful, because a lot of the suits use the European size first! When you order specify your size in US.

As far as Astars go, they're great! The women's line is really nice and kneedraggers.com carries most of them. The only problem I had was that I'm so f**cking short, that even though the fit was perfect, the inseam was WAYYYYY too long for me and I had to have them tailored :lmao:

If you order from www.kneedraggers.com you can return them or swap them for a size or model that you like better Let me know how you make out

Old 06-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #14
duc748pilot
chicken wing

alpinestars leather isnt the best even thought they are a top name in the sport

Old 06-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
alpinestars leather isnt the best even thought they are a top name in the sport
If you plan on being an amateur or pro racer, then Astars probably aren't going to be top of the line. That's where custom suits come in.

For trackdays/streetriding, Astars are perfect. Jimmy, Jude and several others I'm sure will attest to that