Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

thinking of switching my electic supply company
Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Default thinking of switching my electic supply company

I'm in south Jersey, I have Atlantic City Electric. Anyway, I got a letter from a competitive supplier, Gateway Energy Services, promising 12% lower rates than Atlantic City Electric.

http://www.gesc.com/

I heard Viridian is even cheaper. http://www.viridian.com

Is there anything else I should consider besides their variable rates and their fixed rates compared to ACE?

If they are not good, I could switch back anytime without any charges since I'm not locked into a contract or anything like that.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with this?

Thanks.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Do your own research!!! But the way I understand it, if you switch, your now subject to variable rates vs. fixed rates. Your only switching the actual electric use. You'll still pay AC electric for transmission, distribution, and a few other charges bundled into the bill. The actual electric use is a small part of the bill.
TPM Coach #71

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

I did a while ago, but I think whoever I switched to went out of business and I now have JCP&L again... As Ralph said, its only for the Supply portion, or whatever they call it. The transmission/distribution/delivery portion is still provided by your local provider, which is probably about half of the bill. If I had my bill I could look but I dont have any lying around... Check your existing bill, to see how it's split up... If its split about 50/50, then the 12% is really only 6% of your total bill, and probably insignificant...

Is it really worth the trouble?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Yes I understand that its only for the supply charges. Good thing about keeping the distribution the same, not that you have a choice to change it, is that all of the services you see with the utility company (repairs, outages, etc) remain the same.

Last month I was charged about 14 cents for 800 kwh and then about 15 cents for everything above that. At Gateway's rate of about 12 cents kwh, I would've saved about $70. Sure, I won't get rich off the savings, but I wouldn't want to throw that money away if I don't have to. Last month is also the highest during the last 13 months with the recent heat wave mania, so savings would be less during the other months when my electric use go down during the cooler months. If I could save $500 a year total and all things remain the same (service, etc), I think that's a good enough reason to switch. People switch other plans (phones, cable, internet, etc) to save a lot less than that. And if I can save a few hundred more by switching my gas supplier, I think it's definitely worth switching or at least looking into it.

I'm not sure if my current company will start to add more fees or increase current fees on the distribution side of the bill if I switched my electric supplier. Also, the new supplier may charge other hidden fees I don't know about. I could lock into a fixed rate with the new supplier, but that doesn't guarantee my savings will continue during the contract period. And if I go with the variable rate, there's no guarantee that it will stay lower than my utility company. I'd definitely want to find out all the details in writing from the supplier before I signed up for anything.

I found this reference site in case anyone's interested: http://www.state.nj.us/bpu/commercial/shopping.html

I did some googling today, but unfortunately there isn't a lot of information out there about electric supply deregulation, things you should consider and beware of, etc. I was also looking for customer complaints regarding these independent energy suppliers but didn't find much of that either.

One thing that annoyed me during this research is that when I wanted to talk to my current utility company, I had to navigate through so many damn automated menus and when it finally got to "please hold for the next customer service agent" they hung up on me! I called back 6 times trying different menu options and each time it hung up on me when it got to that message. I finally called back to their emergency line, was put on hold and then finally talked to someone after waiting 10 minutes. I mentioned the dropped calls to them and she shrugged it off saying she knows they've been having phone issues. Anyway, she tried to help me answer questions about switching and ramifications of switching, but she didn't give me much information. She assured me that everything on my bill would remain the same except for the supply charges would not be on the bill, and I would get a billed separately for the supply charges from the company I chose. I asked her if there were any reasons why I should not switch and she said that it was up to me to decide. Wow, what a way to keep a customer. She finally said that one downside she could think of is that I would get 2 separate bills.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_01r1 View Post
I asked her if there were any reasons why I should not switch and she said that it was up to me to decide. Wow, what a way to keep a customer. She finally said that one downside she could think of is that I would get 2 separate bills.
I work for PSE&G. By law we can not give an opinion to a customer reguarding competitive services. It's up to you to decide is the correct answer...
TPM Coach #71

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
thew8511
Learner's Permit

Ronin, I work for America Approved, the marketing agency for Public Power and Utilities (ppandu.com). Public Power is one of the larger companies in the deregulated energy business. We offer very competitive rates and a great Customer Appreciation Program. All you have to do is pay your bill and they give you virtual dollars to spend on almost anything. It really is a good program. Please check out my site, energysmart.ichoosesavings.com or call me at 732-800-1241 or send me an email at energysmartinfo@gmail.com. Even if you do not like our rates, I will try and answer every question that you have so that you can make an educated decision. Thanks, Matt

Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by thew8511 View Post
Ronin, I work for America Approved, the marketing agency for Public Power and Utilities (ppandu.com). Public Power is one of the larger companies in the deregulated energy business. We offer very competitive rates and a great Customer Appreciation Program. All you have to do is pay your bill and they give you virtual dollars to spend on almost anything. It really is a good program. Please check out my site, energysmart.ichoosesavings.com or call me at 732-800-1241 or send me an email at energysmartinfo@gmail.com. Even if you do not like our rates, I will try and answer every question that you have so that you can make an educated decision. Thanks, Matt

Wow, nice first post..........
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils