Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #31
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

i hear migraine pills are super expensive.. i heard on NPR that migraines are greatly affected by your diet. for example, MSG and preservatives may increase your chances for a migraine.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #32
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5364970

found the NPR migraine article.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #33
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly_Whore View Post
i hear migraine pills are super expensive.. i heard on NPR that migraines are greatly affected by your diet. for example, MSG and preservatives may increase your chances for a migraine.
For some people, diet is the main cause for the headaches. Sugar substitutes like equal also trigger migraines for some. Food with heavy quantities of animal sourced Vitamin A is also another trigger. Liver being a culprit.
My painkillers are average cost, but specific medications for migraine pain is mostly new stuff and still quite expensive. Most are not too effective. I try most that come around, and I usually resort back to just taking Fioricet.
Funny how that article points a finger at caffeine, its the main ingredient in most migraine medications, mine included. Its meant to open the blood vessels and allow more blood/oxygen/medication to flow.
I believe the article was written with your best interests in mind, but it was also another shot in the dark. Doctors have been studying migraine headaches for decades and still do not have a handle on how to control them, they just prescribe things to treat the aftermath.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 01-26-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #34
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

i started a new diet andhave been getting headaches towards mid day.. they seem to go away afetr i eat a light dinner.. stupid migraines..

Old 01-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #35
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
I was in a pretty bad car accident in 1990 and I get migraine headaches a few times a week. Most of mine last for a day or two, sometimes three.
Unfortunately , imitrex does not work for me, I use Fioricet and Advil Migraine.
I found out mine were triggered by TMJ from my fractured jaw. Lots of nerves in the jaw socket and alignment issues can cause severe headaches.
Other migraines are caused by stress, something you ate, and other factors. Some are just confused with bad sinus headaches. Until you really feel the pain from an actual migraine headache, most people haven't got a clue what pain really is.
I am just sick of them, they are part of my daily routine.
For me, the whole trick to beating the really bad ones is to get the Advil into my system at the first sign of a headache. My sign usually is excessive mouth watering, used to by accompanied by nausea, but I am so used to them the nausea does not come any longer.
IF I wait too long to take a pill, I will be in serious trouble. Then a headache will become too strong to get anything done. If I have to resort to pain killers, I am shot for a couple of days afterwards. They are rough.
Ken

Damn, I haven't been to the hospital yet, but the puking last for hours upon hours...and the pain is the worst feeling, you can't help but to cry. I think I waited too long to take the pill and missed my chance of escaping the vomit escapades....but I must say that this is the first time where I almost passed out and that hasn't happened before. I needed to pull over 2 times on the way home.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #36
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitsVtec View Post
Damn, I haven't been to the hospital yet, but the puking last for hours upon hours...and the pain is the worst feeling, you can't help but to cry. I think I waited too long to take the pill and missed my chance of escaping the vomit escapades....but I must say that this is the first time where I almost passed out and that hasn't happened before. I needed to pull over 2 times on the way home.
wow ... its atumah..lol

Old 01-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #37
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
For some people, diet is the main cause for the headaches. Sugar substitutes like equal also trigger migraines for some. Food with heavy quantities of animal sourced Vitamin A is also another trigger. Liver being a culprit.
My painkillers are average cost, but specific medications for migraine pain is mostly new stuff and still quite expensive. Most are not too effective. I try most that come around, and I usually resort back to just taking Fioricet.
Funny how that article points a finger at caffeine, its the main ingredient in most migraine medications, mine included. Its meant to open the blood vessels and allow more blood/oxygen/medication to flow.
I believe the article was written with your best interests in mind, but it was also another shot in the dark. Doctors have been studying migraine headaches for decades and still do not have a handle on how to control them, they just prescribe things to treat the aftermath.
Ken
You have the use of caffiene backwards, it constricts the blood vessels. The actual casue of migraines is vasospasm of the cerebral blood vessels and the caffiene will casue them to constrict I had one patietn who we gave a 300mg shot of caffiene and it did wonders for her migraine. The migraine meds do seem to have mixed results from what I have seen, but they are atleast helpful in diagnosing a true migraine. ( I had read a CME article on migraines last month so now I can pretend I am smart )

Tom

Old 01-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #38
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
i started a new diet andhave been getting headaches towards mid day.. they seem to go away afetr i eat a light dinner.. stupid migraines..
I would guess that what you have is not a migraine headache. Forgetting your milk and cookies at 3Pm usually does not cause Migraines.
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #39
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
You have the use of caffiene backwards, it constricts the blood vessels. The actual casue of migraines is vasospasm of the cerebral blood vessels and the caffiene will casue them to constrict I had one patietn who we gave a 300mg shot of caffiene and it did wonders for her migraine. The migraine meds do seem to have mixed results from what I have seen, but they are atleast helpful in diagnosing a true migraine. ( I had read a CME article on migraines last month so now I can pretend I am smart )

Tom
Hey Tom
thanks for the tip. Anyway, are there any new meds out there for these headaches? Always looking to have my physician prescribe me something new to try.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #40
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Hey Tom
thanks for the tip. Anyway, are there any new meds out there for these headaches? Always looking to have my physician prescribe me something new to try.
Ken
Let me find that article and I will see what there is. I heard there was some newer stuff out there but am not sure if its just a combo med of stuff thats already available.

Tom

Old 01-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #41
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Ok from what I have found there is some research being done with 2 drugs. Gabapentin, and topiramate. In 02/03 they discovered that botox injections can relieve symptoms and keep them away for several months. The theory is that id numbs some of the sensory nerves in the skull. However there are some side effects including worse headaches and facial droop/paralysis.

Tom

Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #42
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
However there are some side effects including worse headaches and facial droop/paralysis.

Tom

awsome sign me up

Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #43
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
awsome sign me up
So you will let me stick you in the face with needles Come on down to the office on monday and well get started

Tom

Old 01-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #44
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Migraines are no joke, many a times they've put me out of commission. Excedrin Migraine works wonders.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #45
Taz
Hurricane Katina

Send a message via AIM to Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes982 View Post
Migraines are no joke, many a times they've put me out of commission. Excedrin Migraine works wonders.
On the Excedrin.

I was takening imitrex but it didn't do anything. I take Exedrin right when it start and it work really well.

~No good deed goes unpunished~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ
Tina, you could have just ended that sentence with " I'm the smart one"...but we already knew that.
http://profile.myspace.com/Tazg24