Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Mods & How To's
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Power Commander 5 Installation With Pics
Old 01-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Duff750
Short Shifter

Send a message via Skype™ to Duff750
Default Power Commander 5 Installation With Pics

This is accurate to the 06/07 GSX-R 600/750 US Model ONLY, the 08-09 model require some extra steps due to the factory O2 sensor. Though it will mostly be very similar to every 600/750 Model GSXR between 04-09 and can also be referenced for a PCIII install as well.

First off, if I would have mounted it on the left side of my sub frame, it probably would've been a little easier on routing the cabling...but I didn't feel like moving my 12V outlet I've got mounted on the left side...so I chose to mount it on the right. It came with two strips of hook & loop fasteners (velcro) but Zip Ties are your friend!

Mounted on right side of subframe, with cabling feeding into the tail box.

Cabling routed through the inside of the tailbox, comes out and goes underneath the little support bar at the front of the subframe (much easier if you take that little support bar off...be sure to threadlock the bolts when you put them back in) The cable is actually black, but I've got it highlighted in a satin red. Zip Ties are your friend!

More cable routing! Where the cable forks off and has a wire terminal on the end of it, this goes to the ground (-) of your battery. Again, the cabling is actually black, but I've got it highlighted in a satin red. Zip Ties are your friend!

Yes! More cable routing, just put it up against the other cables that go down that direction and tie it up to them with, you guessed it! ZIP TIES! Again, cabling is actually black, but I've got it highlighted in a satin red. Zip Ties are your friend!

Now unplug your injector connectors from the primary injectors. The primaries are the ones down low. It's very easy to get to the secondaries, and you'll see them as soon as you take off the tank...but those aren't the ones we're going for, we're going for the ones that are a BITCH to get to. If you look directly below the secondaries, you'll see the primaries. They look exactly the same

This is what the connector looks like with nothing plugged in to it. There's nothing else down there to unplug, but just in case you find some secret connector that nobody else knows about and it doesn't look like this...it's the wrong one! I don't have any installed down here, but for good measure I'm going to add "Zip ties are your friend!" here for good measure

The wiring harness on the PCV has four sets of injector connectors (male and female) the female ends go on the injectos and the male ends plug in to the wiring harness of the bike that you unplugged from the injectors.

The side of the PCV harness that has the gray wire coming out of it will go towards the right side of the motor. The gray wire is the throttle position sensor wire tap. I couldn't really get a picture that was worth a shit of all the connectors plugged in...the cabling under the tank once the PCV is installed is a complete mess from all the different little wires running around under there. This is the only thing that makes me envy those that use a Bazzaz, as it plugs inline with the ECU...one connector and you're done.

The gray wire I spoke of a bit ago that taps into the Throttle Position Sensor has a little red terminal on the end of it...the red clippy looking thing that is was in the box is what you use to 'tap' into the PINK with BLACK striped wire coming from the throttle position sensor. The Throttle Position Sensor is located on the right side of the motor, between the frame and the throttle bodies. Simply clamp the little red clippy looking thing around the Pink/Black wire and crimp it down with some pliers...but don't squeeze it too tight, don't want to mess up the clippy.

Once the clippy looking thing is clamped down (you'll here it or feel it click) the terminal on the end of the gray wire coming from the PCV harness will simply plug in to the clippy looking thing.

You're pretty much done, other than puting the bike back together. Before you go puting everything back together though, go ahead and connect the USB up to your computer and make sure you've got everything hooked up correctly. With the key turned on (doesn't have to be running) you should be able to twist the throttle and see the TPS section in the Control Center Software start counting up. And if you start the bike, you should be able to see the RPM's in the control center software as well.

Here are a couple random pics, pack of cigarettes for size comparison.

That's all folks! Enjoy!

PS... ZIP TIES ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Duff750
Short Shifter

Some questions already asked on other forums

Q. Any MAJOR difference from PC3 besides being able to get an auto tuner for it?

A. The PCV unit alone, major differences...none really. The size is considerably smaller, and there's an extra throttle position column in the fuel table. That's about it, for now. But I would consider that it's still kinda in it's development stage, new firmware versions will come out to make nifty little changes here and there.

Q. Im real curious to see how the auto tune feature works. Are you getting that next?

A. Most definitely. As soon as the AutoTune kit is available, it's mine! It's pretty damn sweet how it works. The only thing I don't like about it though, when you've gone on a ride to "tune" and get back home to check out the outcome on the laptop...you can do one of two things...one you leave it where it's at and let it continue to add to the auto tune map, two you can "accept trims" then it writes the map to the internal memory where you'll no longer see the values. I would like it better if when you "accept trims" it writes the map to your visibile fuel table.

It's kinda hard to explain what I'm talking about there unless you're looking at the PCV Control Center software.

Q. Does it constantly tune the bike like the Motty?

A. Yes, it only tunes the bottom 4 injectors though...but it's a constant tune as long as you have auto-tune enabled. Only time it stops auto-tuning is when you turn off the hardware switch (don't think it's included) or disable auto-tune within the Control Center software.

It also can be set up to not start tuning until the bike has been running for a specified amount of time, or until the bike reaches a specified temperature.

Q. Whats your opinion Duff on this vs Motty

I am waiting for a plug n play for motty, and was going to buy it, but it seems they may NEVER make one at this rate. Also, all these advances are going to put dyno tuners out of business soon!

A. I have no experience with the motty, and haven't known anyone personally with experience with the motty either...so I cannot really give any opinions on it. I could be completely wrong, but from what I understand, the motty is based on one AFR for the whole range, but like I said...this could be completely inaccurate.

The PCV has a map of AFR's just like it has a map of fuel trims, so you can tune it to a specified AFR at each and every throttle position/RPM in the table.

As for puting dyno tuners out of business, that's not entirely accurate either...it will definitely slow down their business, but one should still get a dyno tune prior to doing any self tuning so you know what AFR's will be optimal for your bike. Just like a fuel map, each bike has different AFR ranges that will be optimal for it... But once you get your first tune, then it won't be necessary to worry about it again...You've got a base map for the auto-tune to work off of, and it's working off of real time ram air and environmental/climate conditions and tuning it's little heart out.

Another thing about the PCV over the motty, the PCV can be set up to tune per gear, and even per cylinder...if you tune per cylinder though, you'd have to get a seperate auto tune kit and O2 sensor for each clyinder...by per gear it's only required the one auto-tune kit and O2 sensor

Q. So how does this compare to Bazzaz Z-Fi/A-AFM setup?

A. There is no comparison in my opinion. The bazzaz you have to tune yourself with recommended adjustments that it gives you, the PCV/AutoTune is completely automatic...you tell it what AFR you want and ride, that's it...nothing more

Old 01-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Duff750
Short Shifter

Posts from other Vendors and such

From Motty: creator of the original automatic AFR Tuner
The AFR Tuner has full size target AFR map too, with higher map resolution. The AFR Tuner can also individually map each cylinders with the ICSM-2C or ATX-4C options. The AFR Tuner can't map each gear independently.

From Jamie of FuelMotoUSA
The PC-V also features several additional tuning utilites you can make fuel adjustments with based on gear position, speed, engine temp, or with an analog input such as a map sensor. Also note you can use one Auto Tune module to write a map for each cylinder which can be easily configured provided you have an O2 sensor bung in each headipe. You would first install the O2 sensor in cylinder #1, run the bike and log a session on the track, street, or dyno, retrieve the map in the PC software and apply the fuel trims and save the map labeled cylinder #1. Repeat with cylinders #2,3,4 labeling each map. Open the PC software, promote the map to advanced by cylinder and clip and paste each fuel map that you logged and created into the appropriate cylinder.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Some great information, thanks.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
FigNewTon
Shredded (Cheddar) Moderator

Very nice write up Duff