Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Good thing you say that 'cause if I would buy one, it would be an '03 R1. I'm not at all interested in power. I bow before the power of a 600, let alone the R1.

It just looks so damn good!

Last edited by SilverDragon; 06-03-2006 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragon
When do you know that you're ready for one?

I know I'm not ready for one. Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one?

I'm in love with the R1. Not because of its power, but its freakish good looks.

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet?

when you are talking about the 4 cylinder bike I also agree the 600's are more then enough pushing around 100 ponies or more. But for the riders I do believe the 1k is where its at. they don't put out the sick hp the 4's do. just my thoughts

ps the R1 is a beauty!

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 06-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
RonJ83
Ron 2.0

if you want it, get it. just make sure you can control yourself. R1 is a good streetbike im sure the power will come in handy at times.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM   #19
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

Quote:
When do you know that you're ready for one?
I know I'm not ready for one. Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one?
I'm in love with the R1. Not because of its power, but its freakish good looks.
Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet?

confucious say: "too much of a good thing is a bad thing"

..except when it comes to engines, horsepower, & speed.

get the R1.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

well silver dragon, if you know you're not ready for a liter bike, then don't get it. I always wanted a bike, but i knew that i would kill myself once i got it. I literally know i would of gotten hurt because of my immaturity. But now that i had matured a bit and knew i was able and capable to riding a bike without killing myself, i got one. I don't think that i'm ready for a liter bike yet, plus my f4i is wayyyyyy forgiving. I think if it was any other bike, it would of thrown me off in a sec. I personally would just ride a bike that is more comfortable to me rather than be scared of it.

Its exactky like a horse, when the guy riding is not confident, the horse knows and throws them off. While with the same horse but a different rider who is confident and takes control, the horse would never think about throwin the guy off and does whatever its told.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #21
5wytchBh4kk
Short Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ83
if you want it, get it. just make sure you can control yourself. R1 is a good streetbike im sure the power will come in handy at times.
, summing it up simply. if you like it buy it. a good rider can ride any bike under any conditions.

ps. that pic u posted is 04-current. 02-03s are different.

>>> http://www.dynobike.com/gallery/bike...20Racebike.jpg

Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #22
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Almost 2 weeks ago I picked up a Suzuki 2003 GSX-R 1000 Racebike.

For the past 2 seasons and into the current one I've been riding some kind of 600cc sportbike. I've gotten pretty good, not saying I am the fastest guy out there, but most of the time probably quicker than 90% of the people at your typical trackday. After setting my new r6 ablaze I was in the market for something used, I was looking at another 600 but a friend of mine sent me a link for the suzuki I got, I figured what the hell, talked to the guy, and wound up getting it in a few days.

So besides riding my dad's FZ1 a couple times on the street, and my friends 954 on the street for about 10 min, this was my first real time actually getting the chance to flog around and open class sportbike at a racetrack (VIR South & North) memorial day weekend.

Took me about a day and half to get myself aquanted with her. Lots of guys told me, it requires a slightly different riding style. You go slow in, so you get a good line coming out of a turn where you can really put the power down and get that drive out.

Power is something this bike does not lack, the sheer acceleration alone is worth the price. Going down the hill after the LH kink on VIR South the bike had no problem getting the front tire off the ground in 4th gear on the gas. Shifting from 3rd to 4th on any kind of elevation change or bump, the front would pop a few inches off the ground. Just on the straights I was going over 20mph faster till I had to get on the brakes.

Full throttle 5th gear hitting the kink on VIR north, the rpms shoot up as the tire rides closer to the edge, coming out of the kink the revs stay right in the powerband, nothing is like the experiance of feeling the air buffet around my helmet and my back, the engine still hurling you foward - bike gaining more speed and the intake flat out wailing. Just about to bang into 6th the braking markers blast up and I gotta scrub off about 100 mph for turn 1.

End of the day I found that I started to ride it in kinda of a hybrid 600 - 1000 way. I began to brake later and carry a lot of speed going into turns. Soon I started to eat up bikes through the corners, mostly 600's and a few SV's, I would feed the power on coming out in a gear lower and start to get a good exit drive, then once the bike straightened up I would just hammer it full throttle and just beam past people. I was just smiling and laughing in my helmet the whole time. I could always hang with guys on liter bikes on my 600, now I was just getting a good drive on them and constantly getting them on the brakes. I love this thing.

But this bike demands respect, if your inputs are smooth and anticipated it will reward you, if you mistreat it the bike will have no problem throwing you off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thebeast7.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	2554  

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Last edited by pillaka; 06-02-2006 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #23
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
well silver dragon, if you know you're not ready for a liter bike, then don't get it. I always wanted a bike, but i knew that i would kill myself once i got it. I literally know i would of gotten hurt because of my immaturity. But now that i had matured a bit and knew i was able and capable to riding a bike without killing myself, i got one. I don't think that i'm ready for a liter bike yet, plus my f4i is wayyyyyy forgiving. I think if it was any other bike, it would of thrown me off in a sec. I personally would just ride a bike that is more comfortable to me rather than be scared of it.

Its exactky like a horse, when the guy riding is not confident, the horse knows and throws them off. While with the same horse but a different rider who is confident and takes control, the horse would never think about throwin the guy off and does whatever its told.
I think it has to do with the fact that most riders you talk to will always tell you to respect a liter bike even if they haven't riden one yet. Somewhat like the warnings of learning to ride on a 600. I've never riden a 1k, and have no idea what to expect. That's why I figured I would ask whether or not my precautions are too precautious.

Even if I was riding a 250, I would still respect it. It's the same with the 600s I've had. I simply wasn't sure if respect was enough for 1k.

Thanks for the feedback guys... and Pillaka, what a write up! niiiice!

HEHEHE NO WAY
Old 06-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #24
bikerguyzx12
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to bikerguyzx12 Send a message via Yahoo to bikerguyzx12
Default HEHEHE NO WAY

SOMEBODY SAID SUMTHIN ABOUT 225 MPH ON A 1000...............NO WAY MAN

Old 06-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I have a pair of 1000cc twins. I have an 03 RC51 and an 03 TLR track bike. I know you're looking at an R1, it's different for sure. I for one love the torque and power of a liter class twin.
If you're just commuting, then I say wait until you are ready for more. If you're at all unsure of yourself, stick to what you are comfortable with.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 06-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #26
HookRone
Short Shifter

Quote:
Good thing you say that 'cause if I would buy one, it would be an '03 R1. I'm not at all interested in power. I bow before the power of a 600, let alone the R1.

It just looks so damn good!
Nice choose in year.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #27
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES
I have a pair of 1000cc twins. I have an 03 RC51 and an 03 TLR track bike. I know you're looking at an R1, it's different for sure. I for one love the torque and power of a liter class twin.
If you're just commuting, then I say wait until you are ready for more. If you're at all unsure of yourself, stick to what you are comfortable with.
Ken
twins rule.....I don't think I ever want to get on an inline again

Old 06-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #28
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack

ROADRASH IS LIKE A STD, YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF YOU WORE PROTECTION !
Saxon's "little" big brother,older,wiser, FASTER
CycleMadness Motorcycle Repair
Belvidere NJ (908)475-2332
Mon-Wed 7pm-10pm Sat. 9am-5pm

Jesus may love you, but I think you're a cunt!

Old 06-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #29
tweake
Squid

Send a message via MSN to tweake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Arrow header
d/p pressure plate (red)
d/p half c/f clutch cover
d/p c/f hugger
d/p ecu