Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Tire Sizes
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Mach1
Short Shifter

Default Tire Sizes

Hey guys was just wondering if I could get any feed back on this information on tire sizes? My back tire is as bald as my head and the front is not far behind, now my brother just went down and just put on a Brand new pair on his that he was willing to just give to me... Now the thing is someone told him that since mine is a 180 and his is a 190 that this will fit but affect my porformace on my bike???????

Can someone give me input as too how this will affect my turning and leaning? I think it's BS....

This is my Bike, There are many like it, But this one is mine, My Bike is my Best Friend, It is my Life, I must master it as I must Master My Life, With out Me my Bike is Useless, With out my Bike I am Useless, I must Ride Better than the Idiots on the Road who are trying to Kill Me!, I must Pass Him before He Kills Me!, I WILL, Before God I Swear this Creed! SO BE IT!

Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Its not bs, going with a wider tire can affect turn in and "flick ability." Some say they don't notice anything, some say they do, shrug. If its free and it'll fit go for it, usually I'd like to stick with OEM.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Xracer264
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Xracer264 Send a message via Yahoo to Xracer264

It will affect the handling since the 190 is wider with a broader curve than the 180. Steering feel won't change but, tipping into a corner and maintaining your line will take a little more effort. Just make sure it fit the swingarm and hugger if your bike has one. It may also affect top speed and your gauges since the tire is also taller. I did the reverse on my old TLS-1000 and turning effort was really improved.

Hope this helps

"Me and Max we no like" Valentino Rossi in "Faster"

Old 10-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Mach1
Short Shifter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Its not bs, going with a wider tire can affect turn in and "flick ability." Some say they don't notice anything, some say they do, shrug. If its free and it'll fit go for it, usually I'd like to stick with OEM.

Yeah but a 180 to a 190? I could understand if I'm going to 200 or something but don't think that will be that noticable?

This is my Bike, There are many like it, But this one is mine, My Bike is my Best Friend, It is my Life, I must master it as I must Master My Life, With out Me my Bike is Useless, With out my Bike I am Useless, I must Ride Better than the Idiots on the Road who are trying to Kill Me!, I must Pass Him before He Kills Me!, I WILL, Before God I Swear this Creed! SO BE IT!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Mach1
Short Shifter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer264
It will affect the handling since the 190 is wider with a broader curve than the 180. Steering feel won't change but, tipping into a corner and maintaining your line will take a little more effort. Just make sure it fit the swingarm and hugger if your bike has one. It may also affect top speed and your gauges since the tire is also taller. I did the reverse on my old TLS-1000 and turning effort was really improved.

Hope this helps
Yeah I do have a hugger on it??? Hmmmm that's the only thing that concerned me? But are you saying that putting the larger tire on improved your turning/leaning?

Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
But are you saying that putting the larger tire on improved your turning/leaning?
Sounds like he said he did the opposite on his TL, i.e from a 190 to a 180, which is pretty common.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Sounds like he said he did the opposite on his TL, i.e from a 190 to a 180, which is pretty common.

Did that with my TLS also and it did feel like it turned in better.

Tom

Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
Mach1
Short Shifter

Ahhh pue que se Joda.... They free, I'll just have to work wit that, see how much more of an impact it will have on my leaning and turning? I would like to feel the differance?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
Ahhh pue que se Joda.... They free, I'll just have to work wit that, see how much more of an impact it will have on my leaning and turning? I would like to feel the differance?

I am assuming it will clear the hugger too.

Tom

Old 10-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
CBRBob
A 37 Production

All else being equal, follow Xracer. The wider tire than stock will not 'improve' handling. The tire is meant for a certian width rim. If the rim is too narrow, you will have a poorer handling bike.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Last edited by CBRBob; 10-14-2006 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

My TLR trackbike has a 190/55 rear now and it gives the performance of the 180 rear without having to give up contact patch size

As for the 600 cc bike running a 190, I think its counter productive.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

All I can say is I know it will definately work on your bike, except for the rear hugger part, can't comment on that.... I have a J model ninja and it came with a 190 rear on it.

I thought mot bikes that use a 190 rear still have a 5.5" rim, which is what most bikes with 180 rears come with as well... I know some manufacturers have a chart listing what size rim is "best" for each size tire...

Old 10-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #13
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Most bikes that have a 190 have a 6" rim.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 10-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
southjersey636
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to southjersey636

I run a 190 on my bike and yes it is not as flickable and the steering-bike weight feels heavier but its not that major of an issue. If you can get a tire for free then I woulnt worry about it, hell if you dont want the tire i'll give him $ for it lol.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #15
bikerguyzx12
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to bikerguyzx12 Send a message via Yahoo to bikerguyzx12

CBR BOB hit it on the head, most 180 are a 5.5 in rim and most 190 are a 6 in, wen u put a 190 onto a 5in rim it squeezes the beads closer together than the normal 6 in rim would do, by squeezing the beads closer it actually makes the tire taller not wider therefore really dosnt give you anymore contact patch, if you have a meter stick that measures down to the millimieter than you can do the measurements so you understand what i am saying, measure the contact area of the stock 180 and the height and the overall windth, then put a 190 on the same stock 180 rim and measure it all again, u will see the difference.......of course u will have to use two brand new tires in order to get accurate measurements