Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 12-06-2005, 09:18 AM   #76
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
:biggthump
One thing I do recommend...do you first trackday with Team Pro-Motion. It's a great club. Very beginner friendly.
http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php
Well I seem to remember reading on some other site how fast some of its 'non-track' riding members were. Then someone arranged a dozen of them to come to the track. All sorts of bikes. ALL had a great time despite some running off the track(I thought one guy who stopped by a female corner worker was trying to get her number) and some realizing that they can ride 150hp on a track slowly(comparatively) and still have fun!

Relax about that bike you have. If you can have 2 bikes, great. If not, great, you can still ride it!
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #77
Qetesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerBig
I started on a liter bike. I am not saying that I am very fast. I am not. But I have 6500 miles and absolutely no crashes; never dropped the bike. You get used to that power. You explore your bike step by step. You will be just fine.
Is anyone else alarmed by this comment? 6500 miles and never dropping your bike does not make you a seasoned rider! It makes you a new rider still learning the sport.

I think it's great that you want to get on the track, regardless what organization you choose to join, but I hope you come back from the experience humbled and grounded. I also hope you will be able to come back after your first track day experience and re-read this thread. It might be a little easier to understand what everyone is saying and the outpouring of care and concern we all have for you.

Money means nothing if you're not smart

Good luck at the track next year and I hope you do well.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #78
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

This is the perfect dual purpose bike. It comes with 2 sets of wheels so you can switch from track to dirt no problemo!

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 12-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #79
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qetesh
Is anyone else alarmed by this comment? 6500 miles and never dropping your bike does not make you a seasoned rider! It makes you a new rider still learning the sport.
pi

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #80
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Conversely, my first crash happened at the track.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #81
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Mine too

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #82
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

originally, didn't you ask about switching setups back and forth?
so in an effort to answer your original question............
I used to be able to swap my bike over in under two hours, it's an 01 GSXR600. this includes, full bodywork, fairing stay, and wheels, suspension/chassis setup, etc...
this year, about half way through the season, I started doing more days and just got sick of it. I now have an old cb650 nighthawk and a superhawk for the street, so the gsxr just stays in track form.

and to get into what this thing spawned into, if you already have that ZX10, by all means bring it to the track! ride what you got. on the other hand if you were looking to get a bike I would certainly NOT recomend that machine, but the fact remains that you ALREADY have it, so bring it. plus being on the track will teach you so much about that machine. If you do get another machine, don't worry about the "ice skate phenomena" you were worried about. It don't matter, your body and brain will know the difference. Hell I rode the exact same machine very differently track vs. street!
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 12-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #83
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

i lost count of how many times i've crashed

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Old 12-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #84
CoolerBig
Squid

Send a message via Yahoo to CoolerBig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qetesh

I think it's great that you want to get on the track, regardless what organization you choose to join, but I hope you come back from the experience humbled and grounded. I also hope you will be able to come back after your first track day experience and re-read this thread. It might be a little easier to understand what everyone is saying and the outpouring of care and concern we all have for you.

Money means nothing if you're not smart

Good luck at the track next year and I hope you do well.
Well, there is only one comment I would like to leave here...
You can not make money (I mean make, not win money), if you are NOT smart. This is the reality. And again...I would like to mention it to you: Please do not think that everyone is the same. This assumption is wrong.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:07 AM   #85
CoolerBig
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
I was not saying that I WILL do good on the track. All I was saying is that a lot of people told me that if I start on a liter bike I WILL DROP IT. And not even once...Most likely within my first 3,000 miles. Well, it didn't happen. And I am NOT claiming that it won't happen. I am NOT claiming that I will do excellent on the track. I am not claiming that I WON'T crash on the track. All I am saying is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. And you can not assume that everyone will experience the same problem as some one else did. Just because we have different genetics, intelligence level, experience, knowledge...etc.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #86
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Quote:
I was not saying that I WILL do good on the track. All I was saying is that a lot of people told me that if I start on a liter bike I WILL DROP IT. And not even once...Most likely within my first 3,000 miles. Well, it didn't happen. And I am NOT claiming that it won't happen. I am NOT claiming that I will do excellent on the track. I am not claiming that I WON'T crash on the track. All I am saying is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. And you can not assume that everyone will experience the same problem as some one else did. Just because we have different genetics, intelligence level, experience, knowledge...etc.
Time out -- I didn't say YOU WOULD CRASH. All I said is MY FIRST CRASH happened at the track... read again, man. Jesus.

I make a joke about MYSELF and YOU get defensive. I could care less what you ride on the street or on the track, how many times you've crashed or how many miles you've ridden with or without getting hurt. Ride to have fun, ride to race, ride to do whatever you'd like. The track is fun, you'll enjoy it.

I'm done with this thread. Enjoy!

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 12-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #87
CoolerBig
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher
originally, didn't you ask about switching setups back and forth?
so in an effort to answer your original question............
I used to be able to swap my bike over in under two hours, it's an 01 GSXR600. this includes, full bodywork, fairing stay, and wheels, suspension/chassis setup, etc...
this year, about half way through the season, I started doing more days and just got sick of it. I now have an old cb650 nighthawk and a superhawk for the street, so the gsxr just stays in track form.

and to get into what this thing spawned into, if you already have that ZX10, by all means bring it to the track! ride what you got. on the other hand if you were looking to get a bike I would certainly NOT recomend that machine, but the fact remains that you ALREADY have it, so bring it. plus being on the track will teach you so much about that machine. If you do get another machine, don't worry about the "ice skate phenomena" you were worried about. It don't matter, your body and brain will know the difference. Hell I rode the exact same machine very differently track vs. street!
I might be able to do that within 3 hours But it is too much pain...So, I figured I better buy a track bike...
[plus being on the track will teach you so much about that machine.]
This is one of the best arguments in this whole discussion! Thank you!
This is why I am going to try both(of course, if I buy another bike by that time).

Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #88
CoolerBig
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Time out -- I didn't say YOU WOULD CRASH. All I said is MY FIRST CRASH happened at the track... read again, man. Jesus.

I make a joke about MYSELF and YOU get defensive. I could care less what you ride on the street or on the track, how many times you've crashed or how many miles you've ridden with or without getting hurt. Ride to have fun, ride to race, ride to do whatever you'd like. The track is fun, you'll enjoy it.

I'm done with this thread. Enjoy!
I am sorry, I didnt mean to be offensive.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #89
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
I said is MY FIRST CRASH happened at the track
And my first crash happened 9 years later ......yur gettin too fast fur yur hardware, time fur highmounts, yur draggin yur shit too much Vin!

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #90
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

Quote:
I might be able to do that within 3 hours But it is too much pain...So, I figured I better buy a track bike...
[plus being on the track will teach you so much about that machine.]
This is one of the best arguments in this whole discussion! Thank you!
This is why I am going to try both(of course, if I buy another bike by that time).
Don't let not buying another bike stop you from going to the track, bring what you have. just tape it up and stuff! make sure you like it (you will) then you can worry about getting another bike later.
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts