Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

warranty question..
Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

Default warranty question..

can someone tell me what the warranty covers cuz like some know from the other site my bike died when i put in a new battery..i heard a loud bang and now nothing happens and i brought it to xtreme machines and they told me it aint electrical and now they wanna check inside the engine but i wanna know what the warranty covers cuz they keep asking me for more money and not giving me any answers!!!(p.s. its an '06 kawi 636 with 10995 miles on it for whoever dont know)

Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

Get the bike back and change the plugs. You probably fouled the plugs while trying to start it with the old battery. When you put the new one in, all you got was a backfire. Change your plugs and go riding.

ROADRASH IS LIKE A STD, YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF YOU WORE PROTECTION !
Saxon's "little" big brother,older,wiser, FASTER
CycleMadness Motorcycle Repair
Belvidere NJ (908)475-2332
Mon-Wed 7pm-10pm Sat. 9am-5pm

Jesus may love you, but I think you're a cunt!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Its really hard to diagnose your problem, as the symptoms are vague.

As for asking for money, thats normal if they have to tear down the engine to determine the exact cause.

As for warranty, bike warranties are generally 1 yr/unlimited miles, so unless you got an extended warranty, you are no longer covered.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

bro if it were a backfire it would at least crank...it doesnt even do that!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Mikey!

1. Start with the new battery.. Make sure that it is COMPLETELY charged. That can take quite a few hours depending on the charger. A battery tender WILL NOT completely charge it (unless you have a few weeks and then its a maybe) Never beleive that a new battery is "completely charged" If you don't charge it completely the first time you have just shortened the life of the battery. I say this because I know a lot of people that change batteries quite often. My FZ is an 2003 and still has the original battery and 20,000 + miles. It also is kept on a tender which also aids in extending the life of the battery.

2. Change the plugs as suggested earlier. All that cranking more than likely fouled them up.

3. What exactly was this "bang" you heard. Where did the sound come from? Are you sure it wasn't a fuse "popping"

4. Does the starter spin? Bike turn over?

5. Make sure the fuel rails are getting energized or carbs are getting fuel if bike is not fuel injected ( but I beleive yours is)

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

um hate to repeat myself but there was never any cranking issue ..i didnt drown the plugs or put in cheap gas..i put in a new battery and somethng popped!!!
what i said was it ran 2 weeks ago and when the bike turned off i couldnt start it without a jump...i did that a couple of times and got tired of trying to turn it on so i bought a new battery!!!

the bike doesnt crank or anything and it just clicks...

what i wanna know is what the warranty covers...all the engine and tranny or some parts and does it cover electrical!!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000 View Post
Possible that the battery doesn't have enough juice to pass through the starter relay.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

checked that..i even connected the bike to my car and also all the fuses...i'm wondering how do u check to see if the crank is broken..on a car u turn the flywheel with a ratchet and if it doesnt move usually a piston or the crank is shot..so how do u do it on a bike???? anyone???

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Can try bypassing the starter relay by jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. Doesn't crank then ya got some other issues. There is a way to manually turn the motor, I personally haven't done this but have read it a few different times.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

Simply replacing your battery will not cause engine damage. There is no way it will cause the piston or crank to "break" It has to be electrical.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
opinion914
White Group Rulez!

try putting it into 5th or 6th and see if you can move the bike. having it in gear will rotate the engine. i doubt you have done any engine damage, perhaps th rectifier crapped the bed, or another electrical component. Start with the electrical components once you determine its' not the crank. even if the wheel doesn't spin it's probably vpor lock before its a broken crank. Cranks get pummled with explosions thousands of times a second while riding, a starter motor won't do that. Wheather or not it warranty you're probably better off checking the elec. components yourself. Just to avoid the hassle of bring it to the dealer and waiting for them to get to it.

Last edited by opinion914; 04-15-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000 View Post
um hate to repeat myself but there was never any cranking issue ..i didnt drown the plugs or put in cheap gas..i put in a new battery and somethng popped!!!
what i said was it ran 2 weeks ago and when the bike turned off i couldnt start it without a jump...i did that a couple of times and got tired of trying to turn it on so i bought a new battery!!!

what i wanna know is what the warranty covers...all the engine and tranny or some parts and does it cover electrical!!!!!
So we went from a "bang" to a "pop" That would point me in the direction that something was shorted. which was the popping sound you heard. Especially if it only "popped" one time. If the starter is only clicking when you press the starter button, more than likely you do not have enough juice in the battery. The clicking is most likely the solinoid switch moving back and forth.

See previous post and make sure the battery is fully charged. As I said before rarely are batteries fully charged when purchased... Who knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf. You cant expect to just buy one, go home, take the old one out and replace it with the new one and be done with it.

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Brian78
Bitter Bowler

if u dont have an extended warranty, nothing is covered....and xtreme sucks
Team Pro-Motion Coach #300
CCS AM #300

Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

this is probably a stupid question, but are the battery terminals on right? pos to pos --- neg to neg.?

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Last edited by John712; 04-15-2008 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

lol yeah the terminals are!!
and i tested everything that was electrical before it hit the dealer!!!
today i found out through xtreme that i have an extended warranty i bought so im covered til next month and they tried a new battery and all the electrical parts..they are also the ones that told me that it has to be inside the motor so thats why i was asking about the warranty and stuff!!
i was actually thinking of just picking it up from them since theyre trying to run me on this one and complete my investigation on my own!