Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
Bobby
Squid

Wow, what a hot topic. I wonder how many years the lane splitters have been riding and how many years the anti-lane splitters have.

I lane split and I've been riding on road for about 17 yrs. I started in CA for 2 yrs and then moved back to Joisey. There's a few reasons to lane split. You have less chance to get rear ended, you won't suffer heat exhaustion when the weather is hot and you're in full gear, your bike won't overheat, etc. I do it more for safety than anything else. Same reason I will split to the front of a red light, especially if I'm the last vehicle in line.

Yes I know it's illegal but I'm willing to chance a ticket more than I am willing to chance becoming a hood ornament. I won't bitch and moan if/when I get a ticket.

Not all the traffic laws are safe for motorcyclists. I'm not going to let some ignorant suit legislate my safety.

Now about lane splitting. I follow the same rules as CA has enforced about lane splitting. I don't go more than 5-10mph faster than the flow of traffic and I don't split when traffic is going more than 25mph.

I've had assclowns try to cut me off. I usually give them the bird and carry on. I did have one bitch in a SUV actively stare at me thru her huge side view mirror and close the lane, driving over the white lines just to block me out. I knocked off her side view mirror by punching it as I rode by.

Again, take your risks and accept the consequences.