Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 07-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
Bobby
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000
same here.. ppl who ride with full leathers have either some nice pocket change laying around or good credit!!lolol
a full setup minus boots are like a grand for pants and jacket plus boots and good gloves and then helmet!!
even kneedragger jeans are like 80 to 100..
You can get a good full suit for under $500. $200 for a helmet (Scorpion ex700), $100 for gloves, $200 for boots. Full set up for under $1000. Now if you replace the helmet with a HJC, suit with textile, cheaper full gauntlet gloves, and cheaper boots, you're looking at $550.

Motorcycling is a dangerous sport so I like to minimize the damage to me as much as possible. I'm just getting old and delicate, I guess.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #17
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jay_
I wear jeans now, but am looking to get a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile Pants in the near future.

textile pants...hmmmm i gotta go pick up something 4 my helmet today, maybe ill pick up a pair of those too. i usually ride in jeans but after hearing about rivets being buried into my skin textile pants sound pretty cool. i have to admit full leathers for the street just seems like overkill - i dont know why - maybe thats just me. maybe there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to protection..

Old 07-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #18
Bobby
Squid

When you get road rash, they can't give you pain killers as it will thin out the blood and you'll bleed to death. They scrub you with steel or hard plastic bristles to get the gravel out of your flesh. No other way to do it.

Leather is sounding better and better, huh?

Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
_Jay_
Burnout

Most ppl are happy with jeans and think they are well protected.

Until the first time they go down that is...

Old 07-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
jose padilla
Squid

I went down with jeans before and my knee suffered some nice rash. But even so I still ride with jeans on. Is it stupid? possibly but I feel more comfortable wearing them. I do wear jacket, gloves and helmit though.

I like the way you sumed up group riding policy though. However I think you forgot no lane splitting and excessive speeds. No sense in getting the whole group burned for one person acting stupid. If I'm in front of a rider that appears to be faster than me or is riding to close in the turns then I'll wait for a straight to pull to the side and let them by. I perfer to ride at the back of the group because normally I won't know the roads so I'll ride their line until I get used to it.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #21
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
When you get road rash, they can't give you pain killers as it will thin out the blood and you'll bleed to death. They scrub you with steel or hard plastic bristles to get the gravel out of your flesh. No other way to do it.

Leather is sounding better and better, huh?

This is true. I didn't get anything but 1 motrin after hours of pain! Scrubbing road rash hurts like a @*&#($^@(^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #22
_Jay_
Burnout

Ya I like to be in the back of the pack too. This way I don't feel pressured to ride beyond my limits because I think I am going to slow for those behind me.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #23
FigNewTon
Shredded (Cheddar) Moderator

It is simple instead of spending money on aftermarket accessories, buy some gear....

As for your jeans...If you hit pavement at 30mph you will lose a layer of skin every inch you slide. You will lose your jeans in 6 1/8th inches.

Pitsvtec did a nice job of laying out your general rules and precautions for group rides. Personally I am very weary of group rides and prefer to ride only with those I know and trust.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #24
PitsVtec
SBA Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSprtuaL
It is simple instead of spending money on aftermarket accessories, buy some gear....

As for your jeans...If you hit pavement at 30mph you will lose a layer of skin every inch you slide. You will lose your jeans in 6 1/8th inches.

Pitsvtec did a nice job of laying out your general rules and precautions for group rides. Personally I am very weary of group rides and prefer to ride only with those I know and trust.

Well I don't know how true that is....when I bit it, I was doing about 60-65mph. My right knee took the impact and the road rash, wasn't as bad as my knee. My left knee, got a taste of the pavement too, along with my side, my pinky, etc. My gloves practically came apart and if I didn't have a full-face....OMG!!!!! you couldn't even imagine! Chunks were gone from my helmet, but the front took the beating!

As for familiarizing yourself with other riders, staying in the back is the way to do it. You can see how they ride, etc...group rides can be both a good and bad experience.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #25
jose padilla
Squid

When I was riding heavy I used to get invites to ride with people all the time. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of getting to know them so I would just hang to the back. If they started stunting in the group or riding extremely wreckless I would hang way back and wait until we got to the destination to say goodbye. Its not that I can't hang its because normally the person acting stupid doesn't wreck but causes someone else to wreck instead.

I have to agree getting your rash cleaned out is about as much pain as I would endure.