Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Social Networking > Group Rides - Events - Bike Nights
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Bear Mountain/NJ/NY State ride Sunday 7/16
Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Onedwn5up
Default Bear Mountain/NJ/NY State ride Sunday 7/16

A little late in getting this up here so I will copy and past stuff from the other boards this is up on already. -Eric

THIS RIDE IS ON SUNDAY 7/16. Meet up will be at 10am at dunkin donuts on rt 23 north in pompton plains. It is right next to a yamaha Kawasaki dealer at the intersection of jackson ave/23.
This is the intersection immediately after Pompton Honda/Suzuki.

I'm putting together a ride for this weekend since I haven't done a street ride in a while. I have been at the track every weekend and will be abck again on the 22nd so this is my only chance to get some street miles in for fun. A bunch of people from the board (TSB & 600rr.net) came out last year and had a good time so hopefully we can do the same again with some new additions.

So here's the deal.

We'll start by going up through some north jersey back roads that cross into ny state and then go through a very nice and scenic lake and forest area. One road is what I call my mini-dragon and this year it is 100% fresh pavement. About 70 turns in a few short miles. Then we will cross into the bear mtn area taking an access road in there that not too many people are aware of. It is an amazing road. We'll go for another loop in the park area then head up to perkins memorial drive for a rest and a view of the hudson. After this we will cross bear mountain bridge and take the famed 301 which is about 20 miles of turns and curves through national forest area. Once we get into the lake mohopac area we will be stopping for the best bbq you will ever experience. Bring your appetite since the $10 pulled pork sandwich will capitalize on it. After that we will continue our loop back to the bear mtn bridge or go back the other way on 301 depending on how everyone is feeling at that point. And I will craft the return route from there as there are multiple options.

The pace is "spirited" and I will provide exacting directions for anyone that thinks they will be following up the rear. But we will have desgnated pacers and also a continual head count to make sure all stay safe and with the group. We're not going to be going balls out but we are not going to be moving at a snails pace either.

Please come properly equipped and don't be a squid. I have no patience for the safety handicapped. As a racer I hang it out enough on the track. I don't need someone else risking my safety needlessly on the street. If you have questions about riding safely in a group setting, please ask. But for the most part, maintain your speed, stay out of peoples blind spots and don't invade someones personal space.

Show up gassed up if possible. There is a gas station immediately before the dunkin donuts. We also be stopping after about the first 30 miles or so at a gas station/convienance store.

Looks like we are up to about 20 or so bikes so far with people from several different forum groups showing up. Should be a lot of fun. Spread the word...repost it elsewhere if you want. I'm looking forward to this.

This ride will be a lot of fun and I hope to see you there.
Team ProMotion Coach & NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/LRRS #973
www.myspace.com/roadracerx
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
Middleweight SuperSport, Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Grand Prix, Heavyweight SuperSport, Heavyweight Superbike, Unlimited SuperSport, Unlimited Superbike
Need Tire Service, an Oil Change or Parts Installed? For Competition-Level Service Call Paddock Race Service * Wayne, NJ * 973-704-1555 *

Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

You already know I'll be there.

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 07-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

sup eric...are u gonna have 2 groups...one "spirited" and one "hmmm don't have much spirit today"

Thanks

Old 07-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Onedwn5up
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to Onedwn5up

You won't get left behind. We will sort out the running order before we leave and there will be designated people to make sure they keep tabs on various parts of the group for safety reasons. I also take a head count at each start/stop. We didn't have any issues last year.
Team ProMotion Coach & NE/Mid-Atlantic CCS/LRRS #973
www.myspace.com/roadracerx
2006 NE CCS/LRRS Amateur Champion
Middleweight SuperSport, Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Grand Prix, Heavyweight SuperSport, Heavyweight Superbike, Unlimited SuperSport, Unlimited Superbike
Need Tire Service, an Oil Change or Parts Installed? For Competition-Level Service Call Paddock Race Service * Wayne, NJ * 973-704-1555 *

Old 07-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
shamster
Short Shifter

I am in...so is the wifey!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Major police presence on 301 lately. Watch your speedometer.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
RAC
Back It In

I've been riding all this year and have never been on a group ride ( I don't know anyone who rides) Could someone please break it down for me, as far as edicate, and what the theame names of the rides mean (spirated, agressive) and any other terms that are used that might be helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
liquiddevil2000
Tank Slapper

it means that one group aint drivin like little girls
and the other are for people not tryin to keep up if they dont have too much experience..

but no one will be left uncalled for..(in other words..lol)

Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC
I've been riding all this year and have never been on a group ride ( I don't know anyone who rides) Could someone please break it down for me, as far as edicate, and what the theame names of the rides mean (spirated, agressive) and any other terms that are used that might be helpful. Thanks!
A "spirited" type ride would be that of not slow, not crazy fast, but somewhere in between. An agressive ride would be just that. Usually a group consisting about 3-5 riders going all out. At any rate, most know their own skill level, faster riders up front, less experienced riders in the back. Stager formation, stay diagonally oposite from the person in front of you along with a few feet of space. In the turns everyone should go single file, then back to stager formation when it straitens out. Never try and keep up with the pack, ride your own ride and enjoy the day, the group will(should) wait for everyone at any point where there would be a turn off. Hope this helps.

Oh...FTM...just another tip...should the person infront of you go down, as hard as it maybe, DO NOT LOOK AT THEM. Keep looking where you want to go, fixate on the downed bike/rider will most likly cause you to wreck as well.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
A "spirited" type ride would be that of not slow, not crazy fast, but somewhere in between. An agressive ride would be just that. Usually a group consisting about 3-5 riders going all out. At any rate, most know their own skill level, faster riders up front, less experienced riders in the back. Stager formation, stay diagonally oposite from the person in front of you along with a few feet of space. In the turns everyone should go single file, then back to stager formation when it straitens out. Never try and keep up with the pack, ride your own ride and enjoy the day, the group will(should) wait for everyone at any point where there would be a turn off. Hope this helps.

Oh...FTM...just another tip...should the person infront of you go down, as hard as it maybe, DO NOT LOOK AT THEM. Keep looking where you want to go, fixate on the downed bike/rider will most likly cause you to wreck as well.

Another thing to note is that I'd recommend going on group rides with people you know and trust. Ride with a bunch of people you don't know and chances are you may get left behind if you don't ride their ride.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
RAC
Back It In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes

Now this is the type of feedback I wanted THANKS A LOT Cakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Lastly, keep the front and rear wheels down at all times. The entire group shouldn't have to get hassled by the cops due to one bonehead's actions. It's much easier for a cop to spot a bike stunting in a group than just a bunch of bikes moving at a increased rate of speed. FYI, dragging a knee (if that's the case) does not apply to this rule being it doesn't constitute careless/wreckless operation.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 07-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #13
Vin
Ducaddilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17
FYI, dragging a knee (if that's the case) does not apply to this rule being it doesn't constitute careless/wreckless operation.
Yes it does -- maybe not to a cop (who usually don't know any better) but yeah, it does.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Yes it does -- maybe not to a cop (who usually don't know any better) but yeah, it does.
"maybe not to a cop"

That was my point, on the street that's all that matters.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 07-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
GinoE
Brain Close Behind

Send a message via AIM to GinoE

i'm guessing perkins around noon - mmm, pork for lunch...
(i'm up in rockland county)

TRACK DISTANCES

Last edited by GinoE; 07-13-2006 at 10:34 PM..