Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Salvage/no title bikes?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
yb929rr
Skid Mark

Question Salvage/no title bikes?

I really want to get back into riding, but with family and stuff time is limited. So I was thinking I could a least try the track and if i like could get there a few times a season.
Surfing the wera and nesba sites i see a lot of the bikes are set up for track riding but a lot of them are salvag/no title. if i could go this route it would save me not having to set up a bike and from what it looks like a few dollars as compared to a 'clean' bike.
what are some of the advantages and disadvantges to these bikes? What kind of thing should I look for when buying one of these bikes? And do any people here ride salvage bikes at the track?
Also i saw in another post people use their cars to tow bikes...what kind of trailer is good for this?
Thanks in advance for any input

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by yb929rr View Post
I really want to get back into riding, but with family and stuff time is limited. So I was thinking I could a least try the track and if i like could get there a few times a season.
Surfing the wera and nesba sites i see a lot of the bikes are set up for track riding but a lot of them are salvag/no title. if i could go this route it would save me not having to set up a bike and from what it looks like a few dollars as compared to a 'clean' bike.
what are some of the advantages and disadvantges to these bikes? What kind of thing should I look for when buying one of these bikes? And do any people here ride salvage bikes at the track?
Also i saw in another post people use their cars to tow bikes...what kind of trailer is good for this?
Thanks in advance for any input
With a salvage title, at least you can show proof of ownership..
When I had my aprilia, I didn't have a title but I did have a copy of the bill of sale from the original owner to the second owner and from the second owner to me and I never had a problem. I never had to provide proof of ownership to anyone but I guess the bill of sale was just piece of mind for me knowing it wasn't stolen.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
yb929rr
Skid Mark

yeah most of them are offering a bill af sale w/ the bikes......what exactly does that mean? can you get a title from DMV with that?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

NO

not saying that bikes without titles are always "stolen" but there are lots of bikes out there with leins on them. Mechanic leins, bank lenins etc.

Salvage title bikes are just fine so long as they are mechanically sound.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a former street bike that doesn't come with an MSO or state title. If you purchase a bike from a police auction, you can get proper paperwork to have the car or bike titled properly but not from a private sale.
Law Enforcement can still seize a bike that has a written bill of sale and legit VIN# to "determine the true owner" of the vehicle.
I would be more comfortable with purchasing a vehicle that has a title. The only bikes that I would make an exception for are grey market import race machines like TZ 2 stroke race bikes like mine and Honda RS 2 stroke race bikes. These types of machines don't come with titles. You can have the VIN searched to make sure its not stolen and possess a simple bill of sale.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 07-08-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
yb929rr
Skid Mark

thanks nycstripes, that was helpful info.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

I race a salvage title bike but I have the title too. It's signed over to the previous owner and then I have a bill of sale to me so it's all legit meaning I can provide proof of ownership. I would stay away from bikes with no title whatsoever unless it comes with an MSO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 07-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
yb929rr
Skid Mark

looks like that's the way i'll be going towards unless something else comes up. hopefully be able to pick something up over the winter and be riding next spring. thanks ant