Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Chimps Spotted in Africa Hunting with Spears
Old 04-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev
Default Chimps Spotted in Africa Hunting with Spears

Seems like 2007 Chimpanzee's are evolving. They are breaking off branches and sharpening the ends with thier teeth to hunt for bush babies that sleep in the trees during the day.

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/ar...0307/Note2.asp

Old 04-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Guess they watched 300 and got some ideas

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 04-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Guess they watched 300 and got some ideas
Next thing you know they'll be heading out to Newark blucking prey with thier 9 mm GAT

Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

that officially makes the chips smarted than 95% of people on this board...

Old 04-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Chimps use have been known to use tools before. They use sticks to fish out ants from ant holes and rock to break open nuts.

I saw a episode of the Planet Earth special on Discover HD and they also showed team hunting tactics and cannibalism by trapping, dismembering, and snacking on a young chimp.

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code

Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
Chimps use have been known to use tools before. They use sticks to fish out ants from ant holes and rock to break open nuts.

I saw a episode of the Planet Earth special on Discover HD and they also showed team hunting tactics and cannibalism by trapping, dismembering, and snacking on a young chimp.
Saw that one last night. I work with cyno monkeys, much lowwer in intelligence then a chimp and they will use tools to get what they want.
Attached Images

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #7
gsxryager024
Short Shifter

Send a message via AIM to gsxryager024

This is all true for using tools for foraging but tools were never used actually for hunting. Hunting was always done by tramping their pray or ambush. Very intriguing I like things like this...

Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Smokes35
(+2)Bully on the Internets

Send a message via AIM to Smokes35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Seems like 2007 Chimpanzee's are evolving.
Negative Ghostwriter, the pattern is full....

4. Biology. to develop by a process of evolution to a different adaptive state or condition: The human species evolved from an ancestor that was probably arboreal.

Using tools has not changed or altered the biological state of the Chimpanzee. We are not evolving into a new species because we use the internet to buy motorcycle parts. We would be evolving should we start to biologically develop a 3rd arm and hand to type more efficently (6 fingers is actually a dominant genetic trait so dont try that example).

edit: even then... with a 3rd arm we'd still be able to interbreed, and therefore inside the same species. that would be more of an adaptation than an evolution. we'd have to become something totaly and completely different, even outside the genus, let alone species to be offically evolving... for example, fish to frog... you need to become something totaly interdependant to what was originally there. Fer shizzle.

Last edited by Smokes35; 04-18-2007 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
that officially makes the chips smarted than 95% of people on this board...
Your the first example....It's chimps not chips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokes35 View Post

4. Biology. to develop by a process of evolution to a different adaptive state or condition: The human species evolved from an ancestor that was probably arboreal.

Using tools has not changed or altered the biological state of the Chimpanzee. We are not evolving into a new species because we use the internet to buy motorcycle parts. We would be evolving should we start to biologically develop a 3rd arm and hand to type more efficently (6 fingers is actually a dominant genetic trait so dont try that example).

edit: even then... with a 3rd arm we'd still be able to interbreed, and therefore inside the same species. that would be more of an adaptation than an evolution. we'd have to become something totaly and completely different, even outside the genus, let alone species to be offically evolving... for example, fish to frog... you need to become something totaly interdependant to what was originally there. Fer shizzle.
Why the hell do you have to be so smart!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxryager024 View Post
This is all true for using tools for foraging but tools were never used actually for hunting. Hunting was always done by tramping their pray or ambush. Very intriguing I like things like this...
The really interesting part is not so much using tool as much as tool-making abilities. Having to sharpen things with their teeth is shows great adaptability. Next trick up their sleeves should be using tools to create other tools.

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code

Old 04-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Smokes35
(+2)Bully on the Internets

Send a message via AIM to Smokes35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
The really interesting part is not so much using tool as much as tool-making abilities. Having to sharpen things with their teeth is shows great adaptability. Next trick up their sleeves should be using tools to create other tools.
Dont aim so high--- how bout they stop eating their own shit first.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Dont aim so high--- how bout they stop eating their own shit first.
lol

I'm sure there's some homo sapiens out there that don't mind a cleveland steamer or dirty sanchez here and there.

Keith Code

Old 04-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

Giving new meaning to the word spear chuckers!!!!!! hahahahaha

Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Mack
Washes njf4i's Back With a Pink Loofa

Send a message via AIM to Mack

evolution....but I though god created it all........bbbbaaahahahahaha.....sorry I couldn't keep a straight face even just typing that

Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

Quote:

Thank God we have 5. How would I be able to flip anyone off if I didn't have a middle finger?!

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack