Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > Sport Touring
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

luggage options - feedback wanted
Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Default luggage options - feedback wanted

i'm thinking about luggage options for the motard. i'm trying to decide between saddlebags, a top case, or a luggage rack. i need to get something for overnight/weekened type rides.

what are some pro's and con's of top cases vs. saddlebags? i never used either. with the r1, i always got by with a duffle bag zip-tied to my ventura luggage rack, which worked ok.

i've never used saddlebags before, but they look like they would be more hassle to secure/remove than a topcase. the high exhaust is also a mild concern with saddlebags. if you think saddlebags are the way to go, please recommend with links. i did some searching at the big online sites and i don't know which ones are good and which ones are just overpriced.

i'm leaning towards the ktm brackets+37L topcase since it looks easiest to use, which would cost me about $280 shipped.

BRACKET
Price: $157.49

TOP-CASE 37L 04
Topcase 37L incorporates the same features as the 46L model-it"s just a little smaller. Requires Topcase Bracket(60012027350).
Price: $131.24

ktm also offers a 46L top case but it looks too big for a narrow motard, but the extra space would be useful for long weekend trips..

TOP-CASE 46L 04
This sharp-looking item has an internal capacity of 46 liters, enough to carry two full-face helmets. Features an innovative snap-shut locking mechanism. Requires Topcase Bracket(60012027350).
Price: $188.99

or, i can go with the ventura luggage rack system which i've used on my r1. they're rock solid and remove easily. they sell one for the ktm 640 which is supposedly the same as the 625. the only draw back is that they're so expensive.

The Tour Kit includes L-Brackets, Sport Rack, Pack Rack, and Aero Spada VII Pack. $375.

Or, I can buy just the L-Brackets, Sport Rack, Pack Rack for $260. But for $260, I figure I'd be better off with the ktm brackets and topcase for $280

http://www.cycleventure.com/fitments...fitment_id=774

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Xracer264
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Xracer264 Send a message via Yahoo to Xracer264

I use a Cortech sport tail with optional saddle bags on my GsxR-1000

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/t...il_bag.htmlbag

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/s...addlebags.html

"Me and Max we no like" Valentino Rossi in "Faster"

Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

they are all pretyt home erotic but i like the plastic KTM one the best

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Hanz-Solo
Loves Curly Guys

Send a message via AIM to Hanz-Solo Send a message via MSN to Hanz-Solo

I prefer the hard shell saddle bags that mount/bolt-on to the frame… I find them durable and very secure to ride-with and leave-out… I have factory made ones on my K… I have seen aftermarket products that are of same quality if not better… I'd recommend a similar setting if you are looking for that storage capacity and security… I usually keep them mounted most of the time… They are easy to access and remove…

I am entertaining a top case option too… It will be more geared for the passenger’s comfort rather than the extra storage… Something for the passenger to rest-on while on long rides… The bracket setup would be my pick… With a 40L or less, depending on how harmonious the case will look with the overall bike… If it can fit an extra helmet, that would do it for me… Anything too big and you got yourself an ugly view…

Of course there is always the tank bag option… I have a bags-connection with quick-lock for SW-MOTECH gascap mount… Its the best tank bag setup I have seen so far… I couldn’t be any happier with it… You can vary the size as you see fit… I have the option to expand from 15 to 22L…

If you haven’t checked it out already, Twisted Throttle has a ton of luggage options… Brows though their catalog when you get a chance… You can download it on their main page...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/

You drink... you drive... you're a f**king moron ... you make it home... you're a bloody legend!!!

Last edited by Hanz-Solo; 05-13-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Song, the single huge bag on the tail will really effect the handling of the bike when you load it up. Moreso than a passenger who's weight is lower and closer to the center of gravity.

If you are going to leave them on permanently, I would say hard case saddlebags. An occassional bag, the top hard one or soft saddles.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanz-Solo View Post
If you haven’t checked it out already, Twisted Throttle has a ton of luggage options… Brows though their catalog when you get a chance… You can download it on their main page...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/
thanks hanz! i didn't expect to find sidecase mounts for a supermoto... who knew, a touring supermoto... it's really meant for a 640 but i think the 625 and 640 share the same subframe. $229 + sidecases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
Song, the single huge bag on the tail will really effect the handling of the bike when you load it up. Moreso than a passenger who's weight is lower and closer to the center of gravity.

If you are going to leave them on permanently, I would say hard case saddlebags. An occassional bag, the top hard one or soft saddles.
i was thinking the top case would be worse for handling than the ventura rack+bag because the top case would sit further back than the bag.

i've tried the ventura rack set up before with my r1. granted its a totally different bike, but as far as handling goes, i didn't notice a difference, although i was not kneedragging.

my concern with the topcase is the weight further back on the bike on a lightweight bike, plus i think it might look a little goofy, esp a narrow single cylinder bike.

decisions, decisions... thanks for the feedback guys!

2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Hanz-Solo
Loves Curly Guys

Send a message via AIM to Hanz-Solo Send a message via MSN to Hanz-Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_01r1 View Post
thanks hanz! i didn't expect to find sidecase mounts for a supermoto... who knew, a touring supermoto... it's really meant for a 640 but i think the 625 and 640 share the same subframe. $229 + sidecases.
Anytime Song... The guys at TT are very helpful and know their stuff well... I think you can ride up to their warehouse (Peacedale, RI) to test the setups they have... They got other cool stuff sitting around too... Might want to hit an ATM first, just incase!

You drink... you drive... you're a f**king moron ... you make it home... you're a bloody legend!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Mastros2
Learner's Permit

I have a Fieldsheer tail bag with matching saddlebags. With all three, it holds a week of clothing, no lie. I can easy go with just the tail bag for a 2-3 day trip.

If you want waterproof and have the $, go for hard cases. If you want easy on - easy off and don't have the $ to spend, go with soft bags.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

this is my current setup for the ktm. i took it on a 9 day trip to nova scotia recently and it worked out great. The silver thing in the back is not a keg.

This is the waterproof bag I have. $80 at REI. Cheaper than Wolfman, waterproof and very strong. That's good enough for me.

2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Marsee Luggage is terrific, made in USA and the customer service is great.
http://www.marseeproducts.com/
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain