Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Road Trip, Sportbike style!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
tsxguy77
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to tsxguy77
Default Road Trip, Sportbike style!

So, I had big plans for a trip to Italy that fell through mostly due to big $$$ repairs for my car, so now I have decided to take a road trip. Right now my plan is to head up towards Lake Placid, then maybe hop on over to Canada, then Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts and stuff like that. Its really gonna be random and Ill just see how and where I feel like going.

I will be doing this most likely alone, so if anyone is from these areas, let me know if you wanna meet up for a ride cause it will save me time trying to find some twisties. Ill probably be gone for 7 days +/- 1.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Ive never done anything like this before and Im thinking of camping some and crashing at motels. Its gonna be fun trying to pack everything I need cause I have to admit that I pack like a girl.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

I did a trip to Montreal about 2 years ago... All I had was a backpack strapped to the passenger seat and a rather large tank bag.. The tank bag was excellent to rest on and make the trip bearable...

I would highly recommend a plug kit and a small bicycle pump... If you wind up with a flat in the middle of nowhere, it might let you at least limp to the nearest service station, if you dont have roadside assistance. Rain gear is also handy, riding wet for a long time is not fun and even if its hot, you will eventually get cold. I was freezing on the way home from the beginner ride a few weeks ago (mesh jacket, no liner with me).

I've been meaning to do a trip like this, I just havent had the time off to do it.. Im jealous!

I have some saddle bags you can borrow if you want.. I went down the first day I had them on the bike (and it wasnt even my street bike!) so the bottom of one is ripped.

And most importantly, Be safe!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
tsxguy77
Burnout

Plus kit and pump is a great idea! Im gonna pick up rain pants, but not sure if I need it. Im planning to bring my leather jacket and never had a problem with rain getting through. I was thinking of getting saddle bags too, and it would have been great to borrow yours and I appreciate the offer, but I have a high mount exhaust and I know that will be in the way. No way am I putting the stock exhaust back on for that purpose.

Im thinking of getting the Icon Tank bag and a tail bag, or maybe an expandable tank bag. If I go that route, I hope I dont need a backpack but I still may if I plan to bring a sleeping nag and tent. I just got a new sleeping back and its really small. made for backpacking and my friend has a solo tent thats also really small.

Here are the tank bag possibilities

This one might be more functional though. Its 4" high as shown here but its expandable up to 10" high if I need it.

And here is a tail bag I may go for. Its actually shown on my bike and its not that bad. This could be useful carrying my sleeping bag and tent!

or

Last edited by tsxguy77; 08-16-2007 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
tsxguy77
Burnout

Well Ill give this a bump because it never did happen, but it will be finally. I'm planning to head south west. Although a tank bag is now out of the question since my new bike cant accommodate them. I just ordered a travel pillow and a backpacking tent for its ability to pack up into a small size. I'm planning on splitting up my time to stay in motels and camping. Im debating whether I should bring my laptop. I was originally planning on it but the more I think about it, I don't see why I should. it will just take up space and my cell phone can do just about everything my laptop can. So, I will be setting sail sometime the end of May and into June. There are no restrictions and Id like to make it out towards Texas, but I will just go where the roads take me.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Good luck and be safe... if you cant accomodate a tank bag because its plastic, they have bags that are held in place by straps rather than magnets... a laptop would be nice, but if you already pack like a girl, finding the room might be your first challenge...

Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

Hey you should check out advrider.com ... There are tons of guys on there that will help you out with good routes and stuff... There is a ton of good info on the site.
Good luck, take pics!

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
tsxguy77
Burnout

Thanks guys! I will check out that site and I promise to take lots of pics. Im a pic whore given the opportunity.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
tsxguy77
Burnout

I got just over 5k miles on the stock tires now. Do you think I should get new tires before the trip or wait until I get back from my trip?

I found a sweet deal for Pirelli Diablo supersports for $205 shipped and thinking I should get this deal while i can.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

your going to need them eventually.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

The last thing o want to do is get stuck replacing them out on the road. Who kows what deal / screwing you'll get. My suggestion, if you have not had it done yet, have a full service done before you go. Then, you know all has been checked out and it should be just a gas & go operation with out any hidden problems.

ROADRASH IS LIKE A STD, YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF YOU WORE PROTECTION !
Saxon's "little" big brother,older,wiser, FASTER
CycleMadness Motorcycle Repair
Belvidere NJ (908)475-2332
Mon-Wed 7pm-10pm Sat. 9am-5pm

Jesus may love you, but I think you're a cunt!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
xstortion
Late Apex

Send a message via AIM to xstortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxguy77 View Post
Well Ill give this a bump because it never did happen, but it will be finally. I'm planning to head south west. Although a tank bag is now out of the question since my new bike cant accommodate them. I just ordered a travel pillow and a backpacking tent for its ability to pack up into a small size. I'm planning on splitting up my time to stay in motels and camping. Im debating whether I should bring my laptop. I was originally planning on it but the more I think about it, I don't see why I should. it will just take up space and my cell phone can do just about everything my laptop can. So, I will be setting sail sometime the end of May and into June. There are no restrictions and Id like to make it out towards Texas, but I will just go where the roads take me.

It just means that u had a little more time to plan it

Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

AS for your gear selection. I had the Chase harper Tank bag. Myine was the strap on model, not magnetic. Get the Nelson Riggs one. It is a better bag all around. THe CH bag was alright, but when you expanded it it was a little floppy. It was hard to get it not to lean one way or the other. I replaced mine with a NR bag and love it!!

ahh hah ha....i said strap on..........

Old 05-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
SPRHK
Throttle Lock

AXIO makes NICE hard shell tank and tail bags.
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/t..._tank_bag.html

Last edited by SPRHK; 05-08-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRHK View Post
AS for your gear selection. I had the Chase harper Tank bag. Myine was the strap on model, not magnetic. Get the Nelson Riggs one. It is a better bag all around. THe CH bag was alright, but when you expanded it it was a little floppy. It was hard to get it not to lean one way or the other. I replaced mine with a NR bag and love it!!

ahh hah ha....i said strap on..........
I was wondering if you were going to catch that one..

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
NGB
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRBlue View Post
I was wondering if you were going to catch that one..
was thinking the same Jim,Chris likes the strap-on kind!

Midgets on gsxr's =