Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Can police request you remove your key?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Default Can police request you remove your key?

I was talking to a buddy of mine last night and he was telling me a story about a week or so back he got pulled over for no apparent reason. The cop told him to remove his key and place it on the ground. Long story short (and I'm sure we've all heard it a 1000 times) the cop said he's had to many people run that he's not taking any chances. The cop didn't have anything on him but tried to issue him a visor up ticket but he argueed his way out of it. My question is, can cops legally tell you to put your key on the ground? Is that a lawful order? They do not make cars do this, can they do this to bikes? Plus, how often to bikes run when they're at a dead stop and cops are 10 feet behind them...which means the cop has a full view of their plate (assuming they're a legal bike). And I don't want to hear this "The cop is making sure the bike isn't stolen, wouldn't you want your bike recovered?" That's a weak argument and I don't want to hear it. We can't start treating everyone like criminals because then, the terrorist win!!!

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 05-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
duc748pilot
chicken wing

If your not hiding anything, and the officer had a legit reason to stop you....and you know it...whats the big deal....the officer can ask you to do anything he feels will make it a safe and uneventful stop. obviously there are limitations....such as sexual "favors" and the like. lol

Old 05-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

FTP

Old 05-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
sonny
Craigslist Champion

i would have told him kindly to blow me.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Hassmaschine
Mr. Megadeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
i would have told him kindly to blow me.
How exactly does one do that?

RIP Jon 08.15.78 - 09.02.03, RIP AJ.

-Ein Verstand, eine Energie. Sie mögen Motorräder und sprechen über sie!
-If it bleeds for more than 3 days and doesn't die, BAN IT!

Old 05-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassmaschine
How exactly does one do that?
like this..
"excuse me kind sir and officer of the law, unfortunatly i will not removemy key from the ignition ...... but if you were to be so kind to perform Fellatio on me....after i have been sitting on an engine at 200 degrees an dhave major swamp ass

thanks "

Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
akomplis
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o
like this..
"excuse me kind sir and officer of the law, unfortunatly i will not removemy key from the ignition ...... but if you were to be so kind to perform Fellatio on me....after i have been sitting on an engine at 200 degrees an dhave major swamp ass

thanks "

Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
jcblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
If your not hiding anything, and the officer had a legit reason to stop you....and you know it...whats the big deal....the officer can ask you to do anything he feels will make it a safe and uneventful stop. obviously there are limitations....such as sexual "favors" and the like. lol
Handcuffing me to the handrail would be pretty safe too. And hey, what's the big, it's safer for him and since I have to wait there while he his investigates things anyway, no harm no foul.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
R1_Nexx
Learner's Permit

Like it or not the cops can have you do that shit in order to make them feel that you aren't going to wild-out or book in the middle of a traffic stop. Also, they can do that shit to cagers as well so it's not a matter of the cops fuck'n with you......they just don't want to look like asshole while you speed away. Trust me, Brooklyn cops pull you over out here in East New York yo ass better cooperate. Fuck all that trying to look fly and shit........remember cooperation can be your friend.......non-cooperation can be your end!

Ride on, ride safe

Supreme

Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
jcblitz

I know cops are assholes. I hang out with way to many of them all the time. My girlfriends mom is a LT in philly and now works at the police academy. I'm always at dinners and stuff with them and have met most of the recruits of the last 4 classes that went through. So I'm well versed in the police mentality, which is a huge problem. 1/2 of them don't even know the laws. Just some inside info, the instructors at the academy have tried to fail about 20% of the class because they're either not fit to police officers, couldn't pass the physical requirements, or just plain don't follow the laws/rules. But the "higher ups" keep pushing them through in spite of the instructors recommendations. I asked my GFs mom about this and she said it's a very gray area, as is most things. But from my experience, and what I know about cops and talking to them, they do whatever they want when they want.

Minarchism

Old 05-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
DougZ
Out of Hiding

check your PM's. LOL
1995 KDX 200,

DZC

My bikes:

Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1_Nexx
Like it or not the cops can have you do that shit in order to make them feel that you aren't going to wild-out or book in the middle of a traffic stop. Also, they can do that shit to cagers as well so it's not a matter of the cops fuck'n with you......they just don't want to look like asshole while you speed away. Trust me, Brooklyn cops pull you over out here in East New York yo ass better cooperate. Fuck all that trying to look fly and shit........remember cooperation can be your friend.......non-cooperation can be your end!

Ride on, ride safe

Supreme
brooklyn cops lick dick...

Old 05-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

A cop asking you to remove the key from the ignition, or just ripping it out of the ignition without your knowledge are two different things. I believe that the first principle is equal to a cop asking you to get out of the car so he can "detain" you, or cuff you for his safety. It doesn't mean you're under arrest, but it's still legal for him to do till the road stop is complete. Removing a key wouthout your knowledge should be deemed illegal. If you're going to be stopped you're going to shut the bike down, get off, and remove your gear anyway, so being asked to remove the key shouldn't be that much of an issue.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
Marker54
State Farm Pimp

Not trying to Whore this thread,
but maybe Cakes should start a sub folder for Cop issues or stories, seems like people love to read and post them, (including myself.) ...Something to think about.

whadya say Cakes???

Old 05-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
CBRBob
A 37 Production

When you are 'pulled over', you are in a technical state of arrest. So they can legally cuff and put you in the back of the car if they feel like it and talk to you there. What would you rather do? Sit in the cruiser or place your key on the ground.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils