Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Wrench It
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Installing New Spark Plugs
Old 05-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i
Default Installing New Spark Plugs

Well i'm coming up on my second oil change and I happen to have a set of ngk spark plugs provided from Omar and Monmouth Cycles.

I was wondering the difficulty level of replacing the spark plugs in my 01 f4i. I have had the bike apart when i changed the CCT so none of that scares me.

But besides stealing xenos's f4i service manual, what should I be looking for. Are there any special tools I may need?

Thanks In Advace.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 05-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by njf4i
Well i'm coming up on my second oil change and I happen to have a set of ngk spark plugs provided from Omar and Monmouth Cycles.

I was wondering the difficulty level of replacing the spark plugs in my 01 f4i. I have had the bike apart when i changed the CCT so none of that scares me.

But besides stealing xenos's f4i service manual, what should I be looking for. Are there any special tools I may need?

Thanks In Advace.
I know it's a different bike, but my YZF's were extremely easy to change. The toolkit came with a tool you could use which reaches down into the area where the plug goes (don't know the name) and makes it easy to get a grip on the plug. My only problem was getting my hand to fit between the radiator and the cylinder heads. One thing to note is that you should have something to blow air into the area where the plug goes so you can flush out any debris in there so it doesn't make its way into the cylinder when you install the new plugs.

I also believe that the plugs should be hand-tightened but I could be wrong, and be VARY careful when putting the plug in so you don't strip anything in the case.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
duc748pilot
chicken wing

Nick if you want a hand you can ride up to me whenever.....kill two birds with one stone. pick up the pants and change the plugs. i can probably have em changed in 15-20 minutes. its pretty simple. but like vin said the key is to blow em out before removing the old ones to blow out any debri that may be chillin in there. its a simple straightforward job

Old 05-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
Nick if you want a hand you can ride up to me whenever.....kill two birds with one stone. pick up the pants and change the plugs. i can probably have em changed in 15-20 minutes. its pretty simple. but like vin said the key is to blow em out before removing the old ones to blow out any debri that may be chillin in there. its a simple straightforward job
Well if it only takes 15 minutes, do you have to tank the tank off and what not. I know just to get access to the CCT it took me atleast 30 mins.

I had to take the exhaust side fairing off, remove the seat, Scotts, and tank just to get there.

Would this be the same process to get access to the plugs?

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by njf4i
Well if it only takes 15 minutes, do you have to tank the tank off and what not. I know just to get access to the CCT it took me atleast 30 mins.

I had to take the exhaust side fairing off, remove the seat, Scotts, and tank just to get there.

Would this be the same process to get access to the plugs?

No, in my case it was as simple as reaching through the big port in the fairing, but you should at the most have to remove your left and right fairings.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

What i need to do is just bite the bullet and get me a damn service manual. I think that would be the right start. Plus when i did my ebc HH pads this year i used the book that xenos had and it was perfect. Step by step instructions and pictures.

**EDIT**
After making JCBlitz proud and using I found a good link for F4i owners. Its off another cbr board but has a bunch of turtorials.

The link is f4i Turtorials

So now that i see what is involved im going to be taking Chris up on his offer.

So how does wednesday of next week sound chris? I should get out of work at 5 and be able to meet you around 6. Let me know what works for you.

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 05-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
duc748pilot
chicken wing

lol yea. you would just prob need to take your sides off, then unbolt your rad and pull it up and out of the way.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrpilot
lol yea. you would just prob need to take your sides off, then unbolt your rad and pull it up and out of the way.

Read what i posted above you. ^^^^ after going through the steps i felt like doing this

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
duc748pilot
chicken wing

next wed should be fine. sounds like a plan

Old 05-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Yo Nick...changing plugs on an f4i are a biotch...just ask Jen Take the fairings off and remove the radiator mounts cause you're gonna have to move it out of the way...definitely get yerself a spark plug socket with the rubber grommet and you'll be good to go...good luck...

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
Yo Nick...changing plugs on an f4i are a biotch...just ask Jen Take the fairings off and remove the radiator mounts cause you're gonna have to move it out of the way...definitely get yerself a spark plug socket with the rubber grommet and you'll be good to go...good luck...

Wow joe way to come in there in the last moment. I got the details on how to change it. I figure its gonnna be like my CCT. So im going to chris's house to get it done.

Thanks Champ Cakes

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 05-26-2005, 11:50 PM   #12
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

If it's anything like a 929, and I bet it is....have fun! What a pain in the ass. And do you have a shut off valve for the fuel? It's awesome draining a full tank of gas to just get the tank off.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #13
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
If it's anything like a 929, and I bet it is....have fun! What a pain in the ass. And do you have a shut off valve for the fuel? It's awesome draining a full tank of gas to just get the tank off.
No need to take the tank off with the F4i.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
5wytchBh4kk
Short Shifter

i took all of mine out at 18,000 miles and there was nothing wrong with them, gap was still good, and zero signs of wear. Color was perfect. Iridium is hard to wear down. I don't think you'll need em.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:37 AM   #15
JasonB
.doosh

Send a message via AIM to JasonB Send a message via Yahoo to JasonB

did mind at about 25,000 miles and it was real easy. Didn't have to take the tank off, but i did have to move it up and out of the way. I think the air filter being dirty made the spark plugs go bad. Is that possible? Dont know but they weren't in the best of shape.
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~ View Post
Jason is one good looking black man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~Today 04:29 PM
you are a hot black man in my book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
but instead i"m sitting in an airport internet chatting with a two bald men, one former gangbanger who drives a volvo and the other who thinks he's monk
1999 Red Kawasaki ZX6R – Sold
2001 Black and Silver GSX-R1000 - Sold
2007 Blue GSXR 600 - Sold
2006 Black GSXR 600 – Sold
2008 Blue and Orange Yamaha R6 – Current track bike
TPM/Nesba #819

Last edited by JasonB; 05-30-2005 at 03:43 AM..