Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
how much that one set ya back. Thats the one I would like to get if I have the extra cashe laying around.

Tom
about 700

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #17
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Just a quick question to those who have the portable GPS units in their cars/bikes...can you program a destination on the unit while you are in the car, or do you have to pre-program the trip while its connected your computer first?
I am just wondering how versatile the new larger units are. I have an old Garmin Navigator hand held GPS for a couple of years now but its only good for telling you where you are at the moment, not how to get to where you want to go.
I am also in the market for a newer unit, but this question keeps coming to mind.
thanks
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

You program the destination (and way points if desired) any time you want. They're a lot more convenient than they used to be. The TomTom comes with all north america maps in it - you don't have to download maps or anything.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #19
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Thanks Steve. Appreciate that info.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #20
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_01r1 View Post
about 700
Thats not too bad, I see soem sites still advertising it for a grand, but if you looked around its out there for around 6 or 7. I am hoping it comes down a bit more by yhte time I am ready to get one.

Tom

Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #21
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Thats not too bad, I see soem sites still advertising it for a grand, but if you looked around its out there for around 6 or 7. I am hoping it comes down a bit more by yhte time I am ready to get one.

Tom
yea, i got it on pre order and i didn't see it anywhere for lower. i can't believe some places are still charging RETAIL for it online! wtf.

about the routing, you can do it anytime. i assume they have these features: you can browse a map and point to where you want to go, you can search by intersection, and you can search by specific addresses, as well as selecting from a "recently found" list and your "favorites" list which are places you've saved. can yon select destinations by a route you plotted ahead of time. i'm not sure if you can plot a specific route on the unit (i've never tried to either).

i think it's got pretty much every option you can ask for in a gps. the updates and maps are free. it's got blue tooth. it's got an external SD card slot. you can play mp3s on it and get directions, it's supposed to pause the music when it gives directions (i haven't tried using this feature since i don't really listen to music).

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 04-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #22
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_01r1 View Post
yea, i got it on pre order and i didn't see it anywhere for lower. i can't believe some places are still charging RETAIL for it online! wtf.

about the routing, you can do it anytime. i assume they have these features: you can browse a map and point to where you want to go, you can search by intersection, and you can search by specific addresses, as well as selecting from a "recently found" list and your "favorites" list which are places you've saved. can yon select destinations by a route you plotted ahead of time. i'm not sure if you can plot a specific route on the unit (i've never tried to either).

i think it's got pretty much every option you can ask for in a gps. the updates and maps are free. it's got blue tooth. it's got an external SD card slot. you can play mp3s on it and get directions, it's supposed to pause the music when it gives directions (i haven't tried using this feature since i don't really listen to music).

My friend just got one too and I was looking at it last night, it seems amazing with all the features it has, plus the size and the touch screen which is nice to use when yo uhave your gloves on. I think he also would have to subscribe to sirrius or XM to get the traffic feature, but could be useful in the NY/NJ area.

I def need to get my hands on one of these now

Tom