Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Suspension, Tires, Handling
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Swap my springs?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka
Default Swap my springs?

Right now I am basically debating in my head to swap the springs on my bike. To sum it all up I purchased my current bike (2003 GSXR 1000) for an expert level CCS WERA racer this past May. He had the stock shock and front forks revalved and resprung, but for his bodyweight 210 - 230 lbs. He was a big dude. Now here you have me, about 5'10" and 157 lbs. Early in the season I had difficulty riding this bike, but in the past two months things really started to click for me and I started to rail on it. At first the bike felt like it never "settled" into corners. I am guessing most likely due to the fact that I do not weigh enough to get the bike into it's working range. Somehow I feel comfortable on it now, also had my suspension set up.

This past labor day due to a mechanical issue on my motorcycle I did not ride it down at VIR, fortunatly my friend lent me his 05 gsxr 1000. Based on my performance in the race, and my lap times, I was running very well and felt quite comfortable on the bike, despite the fact it had never ridden it before. Espicially putting down the power coming out of corners. I could feel the rear end sliding but it was much more linear and the tire felt more hooked up. The next day after getting home I logged onto racetech's website and ordered fork spings and a shock spring ideal for my bodyweight.

My question is, should I change them?

This past weekend I felt very good at pocono east, a very bumpy track, so good I was running my best time for last season all day, and got down into the 1:10's for a few laps. Its more of a question of I am willing to chance swapping to softer springs and running even better, or risk swapping them and running slower. I am going to beaverun end of this month, and doing the GP race on sunday and want to get a podium.

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance