Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Escalation is in full effect
Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Default Escalation is in full effect

Regarding what I've heard to date this season seems to be the pinnacle of escalation in actions between sportbikes and law enforcement, it's very unnerving and it's only getting worse. At this point sportbikers have somewhat switched roles 50 years later with the bad reputation cruiser/chopper riders had in the lawlessness their gangs portrayed back in the day, that's the last thing we need.

When I started riding in '96 it was rare to ever encounter issues with law enforcement, if I was stopped it was for a legitimate reason and the same procedure was followed as if I was driving a cage, I was never followed or harassed, and I enjoyed the sport for what it was. Back then every once in a while I'd hear a case of someone running simply because they knew their bike was much faster than a police vehicle, possibly one less ticket, and maybe enjoying the speed and the thrill while leaving the officer behind, but the majority thought that was a dumb move for obvious reasons, the one's that chose to run never thought about the big picture.

Police officials are furious to no end due to the public‘s outcry for action, their only option is to overwhelm the opposing factor till the word gets out that this type of lawlessness can't continue. So the cops choose to abuse their power more, and the sportbikers run even harder for it. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out people, the small majority of yahoos ruined it for the rest of us and now we have become victims of our own kind, and I don't see a quick fix to this anytime soon.

I’ve been off the road for two years, but every time I hear situations like these it makes me question if it’s even worth getting back on the road. I should never have to be inconvenienced by courts or tickets simply because I was guilty by association. When I head out for a ride I should be able to clear my head enjoy the ride instead of dealing with the constant thought of false persecution looming in my subconscious.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 07-05-2007 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

I feel your concerns, but all you can do is watch out for number 1. If you don't do anything crazy, you won't get stopped, and when you do (I don't think it's a question of IF anymore), just be cool, and be the one to make the LEOs realize we're not all one of a kind!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
ronin_01r1
Throttle Lock

just do what you can to minimize the risk. don't let them spoil it for you.

2007 Kymco Grand Vista 250
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2001 Yamaha R1
1976 Honda CB360t

Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Retom7
Tank Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Retom7 Send a message via Yahoo to Retom7

Honestly, I know I've only been riding for a little while now, but I don't share your views. Certainly there are a lot of stupid people out there with bikes, but eventually a good number of them get what's coming to them each year, unfortunately for them and everyone else involved. I think there are certain increased risks for bikers when it comes to having law enforcement follow them just waiting for an excuse to flash the lights, but I think that's the same with any cage. I think law enforcement in general has adopted the role of strictly doing traffic enforcement. Granted, more people probably die a year in motor vehicle accidents a year than shoots or stabbings, but instead of patrolling dangerous neighborhoods and making their presence known, they are busy following me down multiple roads at the speed limit while I'm in my car waiting for me to do something abnormal or stupid. I don't know about other people, but when a cops following me, I get a bit nervous or on edge, and I think I'm no minority on that one. It's like coming home from New Paltz or that side of the river in general, I have to cross the Mid-Hudson bridge. I have been pulled over en route twice for absolutly nothing more than simply being a kid at a late hour coming from the direction of a well known drinking town. Both times for "crossing the yellow line" and given breathalizers. I have never been pulled over for "crossing the yellow line" any other time, so I'm willing to bet age discrimination has a bit to do with that one.

Anyway, getting back to topic, age discrimination + constant traffic enforcement = the following of any group of sport bikes (let's face it, it's better known for it's teenage/20 year old element than adults), any sort of sportier car with aftermarket parts visible, or anything coming from the direction of well known hang out spots.

Granted, many of these groups of bikers act like gangs and really stir up trouble in neighborhoods or on heavily traveled roads, but I don't think it ruins it for everyone. As far as the choppers/sport bikes roles being switched, that's understandable. The young punks have the sport bikes now and they ARE the biker gangs (the ones that cause commotions). The choppers are dominated by weathy business men who need some sort of release from work and want to look badass for a while. The Harley guys... well, I think they are just kind of under the blanket now, nobody really pays much attention to them and it's such commonplace to see a row of 30+ coming down the road.

Finally, I ride like a dickhead sometimes, and I'll admit to that. I've weaved in and out of cars in heavier traffic and I've done 100+ (though only on baron highways), but when it comes down to just riding around, enjoying the roads, etc, I have not been bothered at all. In fact, I've had a lot of cops and others talk to me when I stop somewhere and have a laugh or two. I know I'm not in the same area as you, but I really think it's police enforcement over sport bike imagry.

Ye Olde Myspace

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retom7 View Post
Honestly, I know I've only been riding for a little while now, but I don't share your views. Certainly there are a lot of stupid people out there with bikes, but eventually a good number of them get what's coming to them each year, unfortunately for them and everyone else involved. I think there are certain increased risks for bikers when it comes to having law enforcement follow them just waiting for an excuse to flash the lights, but I think that's the same with any cage. I think law enforcement in general has adopted the role of strictly doing traffic enforcement. Granted, more people probably die a year in motor vehicle accidents a year than shoots or stabbings, but instead of patrolling dangerous neighborhoods and making their presence known, they are busy following me down multiple roads at the speed limit while I'm in my car waiting for me to do something abnormal or stupid. I don't know about other people, but when a cops following me, I get a bit nervous or on edge, and I think I'm no minority on that one. It's like coming home from New Paltz or that side of the river in general, I have to cross the Mid-Hudson bridge. I have been pulled over en route twice for absolutly nothing more than simply being a kid at a late hour coming from the direction of a well known drinking town. Both times for "crossing the yellow line" and given breathalizers. I have never been pulled over for "crossing the yellow line" any other time, so I'm willing to bet age discrimination has a bit to do with that one.

Anyway, getting back to topic, age discrimination + constant traffic enforcement = the following of any group of sport bikes (let's face it, it's better known for it's teenage/20 year old element than adults), any sort of sportier car with aftermarket parts visible, or anything coming from the direction of well known hang out spots.

Granted, many of these groups of bikers act like gangs and really stir up trouble in neighborhoods or on heavily traveled roads, but I don't think it ruins it for everyone. As far as the choppers/sport bikes roles being switched, that's understandable. The young punks have the sport bikes now and they ARE the biker gangs (the ones that cause commotions). The choppers are dominated by weathy business men who need some sort of release from work and want to look badass for a while. The Harley guys... well, I think they are just kind of under the blanket now, nobody really pays much attention to them and it's such commonplace to see a row of 30+ coming down the road.

Finally, I ride like a dickhead sometimes, and I'll admit to that. I've weaved in and out of cars in heavier traffic and I've done 100+ (though only on baron highways), but when it comes down to just riding around, enjoying the roads, etc, I have not been bothered at all. In fact, I've had a lot of cops and others talk to me when I stop somewhere and have a laugh or two. I know I'm not in the same area as you, but I really think it's police enforcement over sport bike imagry.
If you haven't experienced what I mentioned on your bike that's great news, hopefully you won't have to.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
NGB
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retom7 View Post

I agree with ya i have not been harassed by the law either,the only thing this year that happened was in sussex with sprhk,gix750,and myself,we had a smokey follow us for about 2 miles.

Midgets on gsxr's =

Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
Regarding what I've heard to date this season seems to be the pinnacle of escalation in actions between sportbikes and law enforcement, it's very unnerving and it's only getting worse. At this point sportbikers have somewhat switched roles 50 years later with the bad reputation cruiser/chopper riders had in the lawlessness their gangs portrayed back in the day, that's the last thing we need.

When I started riding in '96 it was rare to ever encounter issues with law enforcement, if I was stopped it was for a legitimate reason and the same procedure was followed as if I was driving a cage, I was never followed or harassed, and I enjoyed the sport for what it was. Back then every once in a while I'd hear a case of someone running simply because they knew their bike was much faster than a police vehicle, possibly one less ticket, and maybe enjoying the speed and the thrill while leaving the officer behind, but the majority thought that was a dumb move for obvious reasons, the one's that chose to run never thought about the big picture.

Police officials are furious to no end due to the public‘s outcry for action, their only option is to overwhelm the opposing factor till the word gets out that this type of lawlessness can't continue. So the cops choose to abuse their power more, and the sportbikers run even harder for it. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out people, the small majority of yahoos ruined it for the rest of us and now we have become victims of our own kind, and I don't see a quick fix to this anytime soon.
I’ve been off the road for two years, but every time I hear situations like these it makes me question if it’s even worth getting back on the road. I should never have to be inconvenienced by courts or tickets simply because I was guilty by association. When I head out for a ride I should be able to clear my head enjoy the ride instead of dealing with the constant thought of false persecution looming in my subconscious.

Revs,
I am also in disagreement with your post. For a couple of reasons.
1- You assume that Law Enforcement had decided to abuse their authority in this matter...gotta wonder about this one. With few exceptions, most get pulled over for valid reasons, like it or not.
2- you also assume that only a small handful of riders flaunt the law with failing to yield to police for vehicle stops
3- there are more "squid" riders on the road these days than ever before. Street stunters are out there in huge numbers. TV Shows like the one we complain about on SPEED glorify the thug biker movement and the extra attention is part of the backlash of flaunting lawlessness.
4- if you are not riding, then you have no issue to bitch about unless you intend to ride in an illegal fashion. If you are, then yield to law enforcement like you are supposed to and have your paperwork in order. That means license, registration, inspection and insurance. It also means to have proper gear (helmet/eye wear) and to have the license plate displayed in accordance with the law. Riding within the law also helps a great deal. Some fellas just can't help but go nuts every time they hit the road. The main function of the police is to make the environment safer for everyone. If bikers did the right thing and did not draw attention to themselves, then they would not be targeted as they are.

If you want to point the finger, point it at the idiots riding without licenses and insurance that keep running from the police for stunt riding on public streets or speeding.
I would enjoy it if my insurance went down for a change instead of up. I keep getting penalized for being legit...getting tired of it.
I was happy to hear that the NYPD began confiscating bikes that were not insured or registered or had riders with no licenses this year. Maybe some of these bozo's will get their crap together.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Last edited by NYCSTRIPES; 07-05-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
I was happy to hear that the NYPD began confiscating bikes that were not insured or registered or had riders with no licenses this year. Maybe some of these bozo's will get their crap together.
Ken
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES View Post
Revs,
I am also in disagreement with your post. For a couple of reasons.
1- You assume that Law Enforcement had decided to abuse their authority in this matter...gotta wonder about this one. With few exceptions, most get pulled over for valid reasons, like it or not.
2- you also assume that only a small handful of riders flaunt the law with failing to yield to police for vehicle stops
3- there are more "squid" riders on the road these days than ever before. Street stunters are out there in huge numbers. TV Shows like the one we complain about on SPEED glorify the thug biker movement and the extra attention is part of the backlash of flaunting lawlessness.
4- if you are not riding, then you have no issue to bitch about unless you intend to ride in an illegal fashion. If you are, then yield to law enforcement like you are supposed to and have your paperwork in order. That means license, registration, inspection and insurance. It also means to have proper gear (helmet/eye wear) and to have the license plate displayed in accordance with the law. Riding within the law also helps a great deal. Some fellas just can't help but go nuts every time they hit the road. The main function of the police is to make the environment safer for everyone. If bikers did the right thing and did not draw attention to themselves, then they would not be targeted as they are.

If you want to point the finger, point it at the idiots riding without licenses and insurance that keep running from the police for stunt riding on public streets or speeding.
I would enjoy it if my insurance went down for a change instead of up. I keep getting penalized for being legit...getting tired of it.
Ken
I believe I did point the finger in the right direciton, in a perfect world some of your points are also valid but they're also biased, but in the real world you won't get tickets any way, even if you were falsely accused, other guys without a badge might and will. I'm simply saying that I hope myself, or any other innocent riders don't become victims of mess that's happening out there now cuz to a cop, all of us look the same.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 07-05-2007 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
Of course that goes without saying...the rest of us have to do it so they should to.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
hellfire76
Learner's Permit

I have been followed several times this year by cops, more than in the past. I ride mostly in Morris, Warren, Sussex, and Hunterdon counties. I assume the the cops are running my plate while they are following me and once everything come back clear they leave me alone. The only times I have been pulled over this year I was doing something wrong. I ride smart but I do not claim to be an angel. Both times the cops where cool about it and could have come down on me alot harder than they did.
I think it comes down to the fact that if you are speeding or riding foolishley they will pull you over. Don't get pissed at the cop for pulling you over for breaking the law. Be respectfull and they will usually let you go.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
CBRBob
A 37 Production

I believe the crap many are taking these days comes from above the people that are on patrol. The click it or ticket bs and whatnot are directives from above, they just carry out the order. If the order comes down, pull over sportbikes, well they might just do that. If you aren't doing anything that bad and have all your info in order, you will most likely ride away. If you have blatant violations on your bike(hidden plate, barely visible brake lights/signals etc) or are riding foolishly, suck it up if they nail you.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
I believe I did point the finger in the right direciton, in a perfect world some of your points are also valid but they're also biased, but in the real world you won't get tickets any way, even if you were falsely accused, other guys without a badge might and will. I'm simply saying that I hope myself, or any other innocent riders don't become victims of mess that's happening out there now cuz to a cop, all of us look the same.
Revs
You're painting all of the cops with a pretty narrow paint brush. If you want to see bias, have a hard look in the mirror. You haven't been stopped, summonsed or falsely accused of anything, yet you think that you will just for joining us back on the road again if you began to ride again. To me, that's some heavy bias without any real reason to have it.
As for me being a police officer, its easy to think that I can do as I please but that is far from the case. I consider myself to be serious professional, and as such I keep my own butt in check when I am off duty. I jumped into this thread to put some realistic perspective into this.
If you sleep at night thinking that I ride like an ass and flash my badge everywhere I go, then so be it. In reality its simpler than that, I don't get summonses because I don't ride like an idiot. My plates are mounted as they should be and the rest of my gear and equipment are in compliance. Its that simple. Pulling a badge is a moot point if you don't get pulled over.
I would like to hear more about the "innocent" riders getting tickets that did not have a reason to. More often than not, most that get ticketed, had a reason to get one. I can't remember too many posts here about guys getting tickets for doing nothing. Almost all of the posts I read here about tickets involved bikes that were not in compliance with lights, license plates ect. The rest are speeding, reckless driving ect.
If you are not in that crowd, then what are you so wound up about?
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #14
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
I believe the crap many are taking these days comes from above the people that are on patrol. The click it or ticket bs and whatnot are directives from above, they just carry out the order. If the order comes down, pull over sportbikes, well they might just do that. If you aren't doing anything that bad and have all your info in order, you will most likely ride away. If you have blatant violations on your bike(hidden plate, barely visible brake lights/signals etc) or are riding foolishly, suck it up if they nail you.
Bob
you are 100% correct. This aspect of enforcement has been discussed here before. We get our direction from statistical trends in reported accidents, 911 complaints, crime statistics and even community meetings where citizens let their opinions be known.
When conditions warrant, focuses change. It took a few years, but the police have heard enough complaining about reckless motorcycle operation and have been to plenty of road accidents involving sportbikes to get to the point where something had to be done.
Mayors don't like fielding questions about apparently doing nothing about an existing problem.
Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

Old 07-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Ken I am sure you are aware of th ecrackdown in NYC and how city hwy is pulling ALL bikes over to be checked. Sadly I got bagged and towed for an expired inspection a few months back. The inspection was my fault, I thought it got inspected when I got it back from rockwells last fall but it wasnt. All myother stuff was/is in order I even showed the badge and cars I had from my GF's brothers but forgot my hospital ER ID. The officer wasnt having any part of it, and i even had one of karens brothers on the phone whos an LT up in the bronx and he wouldnt budge. I have also been hearing of them towing bikes for aftermarket exhausts and even flushmounts. I have seen them out prety agressively on the belt pkwy as well so now I wont even lanesplit in some areas but then a bunch of guys in wannabe bullet proff vests and nazi helmets will split by, so I dont thing people are getting the message despite all thats going on.

Tom