Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

NYC Theft Ring Bust
Old 05-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

Default NYC Theft Ring Bust

I put in a call to NYPD about this. They gave me the cold shoulder and told me to go through my local PD for information on what was recovered. I can only hope.

Operation Biker Boyz Breaks Up Alleged Theft Ring

By BRADLEY HOPE - Staff Reporter of the Sun
May 4, 2006

The brains behind an alleged $4 million a year motorcycle theft ring dismantled this week by police and the FBI was Atilla Lengyel, a 45-year-old Hungarian with a penchant for speed.

When his operation was at its height, a team of 20 thieves worked the streets, hot-wiring or simply picking up and hauling away high-end, high-price motorcycles, law enforcement officials said yesterday.

The most sought-after bike was the Suzuki "Hayabusa," which can clock 200 mph. The ring stole between 300 and 400 bikes a year, including a Harley Davidson worth $50,000, police said.

"This group loved to drive these motorcycles fast," the commander of the NYPD's Auto Crimes Division, Deputy Inspector Howard Lawson, said. "They all knew each other - a kind of subculture of motorcycle enthusiasts."

The only problem, Mr. Lawson said, was that they liked to ride other people's bikes and then sell them for thousands of dollars.

The nearly year-long investigation by the joint task force of police, FBI agents, and Homeland Security Immigration Customs Enforcement agents was called Operation Biker Boyz.

In the last week, 20 of the 23 alleged members of the operation were arrested in the New York area and in Hungary. Mr. Lengyel, whom police say is the mastermind of the operation, faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted on charges of enterprise corruption, the Queens district attorney, Richard Brown, said. Other members of the alleged operation face up to seven years for lesser crimes, including grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, he said.

The brains behind an alleged $4 million a year motorcycle theft ring dismantled this week by police and the FBI was Atilla Lengyel, a 45-year-old Hungarian with a penchant for speed.

When his operation was at its height, a team of 20 thieves worked the streets, hot-wiring or simply picking up and hauling away high-end, high-price motorcycles, law enforcement officials said yesterday.

MySpace MyWork

Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Did you call your locals yet?

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 05-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz
Did you call your locals yet?
I did. She told me that the NCIS has the information and they will be running any VINs they recover through that. If the VIN is run anywhere, Woodbridge and whoever is running the VIN is notified immediately. I asked her about the priority of PD to find stolen bikes. She claimes they have a higher priority than we think since they often link to bigger crime rings like drugs and guns. Who knows maybe shes just apeasing me for now.

MySpace MyWork

Old 05-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

good luck with that.. but if i was you i wouldnt take your biek back..take th emula and get a new one..

Old 05-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

FTP?

G'luck man

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
cbr_F4i_Chick
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to cbr_F4i_Chick

oh no...i hope its not ur bike...they're usually in pieces...and butchered. Take the cash and buy a new one. I wish u luck tho, because you have that personal link with ur bike...it like family!

Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Kurts1000RR
Tank Slapper

Problem is if the bike is found within 30 days and not totaled then they repair and I keep it. Finding its a longshot anyway.

MySpace MyWork

Old 05-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurts1000RR
Problem is if the bike is found within 30 days and not totaled then they repair and I keep it. Finding its a longshot anyway.
dude do u know how easy it is to toal a bike.. OMG my cousin used to be the claims adjuster who woudl come out and appraise cars and bikes after an accident or if the were recoverd

i remeber when i layed my r6 down... he appriased it for over 3300 and illhad were abunch of scratches..not even that bad and a cracked upper ohyeah and a faireng stay broke.. i neve rfixed it just ziptied it and rode it.. but shit if he appraized that high for a few external blemishes imagine if he start going over th eengine and etc..

Old 05-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Rider stated that if just one side of a sportbike is rashed up and damaged it's considered to be totalled.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 05-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Hassmaschine
Mr. Megadeth

Just glad they're busted, always good to see the rings come DOWN.

PS: I had 5k in damage (all cosmetic) on my bike and they didn't total it... but I was told I could have if I wanted to...

RIP Jon 08.15.78 - 09.02.03, RIP AJ.

-Ein Verstand, eine Energie. Sie mögen Motorräder und sprechen über sie!
-If it bleeds for more than 3 days and doesn't die, BAN IT!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #11
shadoxkila
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to shadoxkila

its about fuckin time they caught some motherfuckers who r stealin bikes

Old 05-11-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurts1000RR
I did. She told me that the NCIS has the information and they will be running any VINs they recover through that. If the VIN is run anywhere, Woodbridge and whoever is running the VIN is notified immediately. I asked her about the priority of PD to find stolen bikes. She claimes they have a higher priority than we think since they often link to bigger crime rings like drugs and guns. Who knows maybe shes just apeasing me for now.

Well known fact that theives take cars and bikes for quick money to get into the drug/gun game.
Hope you get the chance to recover your bike. Hope it was insured, probably better off taking the cash on the theft.

Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain