Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Track day vs race day
Old 04-10-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
njracer
Team Kessler

Default Track day vs race day

This is aimed more at the track day rider but I just had to ask.

If you have been doing track days, what is stopping you from getting into racing?

If you have been doing track days and want to get into racing, what is stopping you?

If you plan on racing, are you waiting to get more track time under your belt or are you just not comfortable in a competitive situation just yet?

Is cash a factor?

Is fear a factor?

If you have tried racing and did not like it, tell me why.

FWIW - I never did a track day before my first weekend racing (I'm old...have been racing for 11yrs...and there were no track days back then....except for test & tune days), I did the school on Friday (Penguin at Bridgehampton) and ended up bringing home a 2nd and 3rd in my first time out on a track. (talk about an insane buzz!!!!)

What is stopping you from racing?

BTW - I'm bored and we (Cycle Dreams Magazine) might be doing an article on "taking your track day experience to the next level.

Thanks,

njracer

Last edited by njracer; 04-10-2006 at 11:40 PM..

Old 04-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
CBRBob
A 37 Production

If I want to race, I pick a coach and go out in the fast group and we go at it. The main thing that stops me from going out in a sanctioned race is that many people go insane and do IDIOTIC shit to win a $5 plastic trophy or $50 prize. I don't want to ride with jerkoffs like that. There are enough of them on the street (usually in SUVs or German cars), I don't need more of that on the track. I enjoy riding double and triple sessions and helping peoples skills PLENTY!
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
I enjoy riding double and triple sessions and helping peoples skills PLENTY!
good deal, you can still go out with me again, last year at VIR when we went out and you were checking me out in hopes to get bumped up. you gave me the thub up but right after that was when the nasty accident on the front straight happened and i packed up and left right away. heck it only happened 10 feet from me

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
If you have been doing track days, what is stopping you from getting into racing?
Well for one thing I have only done two track days and If I could afford more I would be doing one every week. But unfortunatly I'm a kid playing in an adults world (Financially)

Quote:
If you have been doing track days and want to get into racing, what is stopping you?

The money. See last question

Quote:
If you plan on racing, are you waiting to get more track time under your belt or are you just not comfortable in a competitive situation just yet?

I am more than comfortable with a competitive situation, hell just ask Mack. Everytime I have done a track day you always find that guy on your skill level and go pound for pound with him or her.

Quote:
Is cash a factor?

The main and only factor

Quote:
Is fear a factor?

Whats fear? I only have fear for hurting my family and friends.

Quote:

The money. Track days alone and maintenance is a big factor when it comes to motorcycles. Almost enough to turn people off. I will admit...I have been a little discouraged and have told myself many a times that Im going to sell my bike due to all the expense's that I have had to pay, JUST TO GET INTO IT. I can't imagine the cost of Racing Fees, with Tires every weekend, Transportation to and from the tracks, and Unexpected accidents plus repairs. I have talked to many a persons who have told me If your looking to go toward racing the debt thing is an EXTREMELY real factor in racing. Debt which is something at 18 years old I do not want to begin. About the only exception to this that I myself can think of is those that have a free ride, like their parents fronting the bill or 1 hell of a sponser (who are almost non-existant in this sport). I Adjust my track time according to how much I can actually afford to do, and since I just turned 18 NOT by how much of a credit limit I have.

I would love more than anything to do a few more track days here and there and be satisfied but even that is not a reality for me right now. Work and College plus Motorcycle riding does not mix. I have told myself I should just put everything on hold until I get settled and can afford to play the game. I can't really say how much potentiel I have to race or if I'm "fast" because to me It doesn't really matter, I just enjoy getting on the track....lining up and it gets your heart beating and your adrenaline pumping, thats the only thing that matters at that point in time. Not your schoolwork or work or family problems or girlfriend problems. This is my drug. A drug that I cannot afford. And yes I am going through withdrawel.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Last edited by Kennedy; 04-11-2006 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
benellis
Burnout

I'm in the same boat as Kennedy, I run short in the financial department, so much so that I am seriously considering going back to school and starting my 2nd career (at age 24). I've been busting my ass for 3 and a half years now at my current job and I think i'm topped out until someone dies or retires. I also never get time off, so while everyone else is honing their skills, I'm back at the shop fixing other peoples' wrecked shit. Yeah, I'd like the opprotunity to go race!

Old 04-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
njracer
Team Kessler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
If I want to race, I pick a coach and go out in the fast group and we go at it. The main thing that stops me from going out in a sanctioned race is that many people go insane and do IDIOTIC shit to win a $5 plastic trophy or $50 prize. I don't want to ride with jerkoffs like that. There are enough of them on the street (usually in SUVs or German cars), I don't need more of that on the track. I enjoy riding double and triple sessions and helping peoples skills PLENTY!
IMO - there are way more "insane" riders out on the track days than there are during a CCS/WERA/ASRA (old FUSA) event. Even in the fast group there are way to many guys running CrAzY lines and being very unpredictable. Not to mention that there are way too many riders on the track at one time (IMO). I feel so much more comfortable on the race track with racers (nothig against track day guys) but thats just me. For the majority, most racers know they have families, bills and jobs they need to go back to on Monday and really don't risk it too much.

I also keep hearing racing is so much more expensive and it's really not. I did a day with TPM at Pocono on the FUSA trackand for a day on the track, it really was not much more than a weekend racing. Entry fee plus the rain ins ran me close to $200 + a set of tire $340 ($259 for Dunlops) + gas for the bike and truck + hotel (the night before)...at the end of the day I was over $700 for just one day. Thats a lot for just one day and it's really no different than a race weekend.

Now here is a race weekend.....$210 for racing in 4 classes (1st class entered -$65 pre entry and $75 post entry, 2nd class - $55, each additional class $45.) and that includes 4 to 5 practice sessions (2 each day with the occasional extra tossed in if there is time) + $340 for tires + gas and bike for the truck, no hotel fee since we camp at the track. Really not much different.

BTW - I can go two weekends on a set of tires if I want to....more times than not I choose not to (peace of mind for me).

If you really want some crazy track time try the solo 200 with CCS (Jul 2 at Summit)....it's only $175 and yes....you run for 200 miles in one outing!!! And yes, you can do it on one set of tires.

njracer

Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
BurnCycle
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle

Until recently my bike pulled double duty and my track and street ride.

Nothing since my track bike is almost complete. I want to start small (TPM’s GP Moto’s) to see if it is something I want to peruse.

More time on the track and experience with the bike.

Is cash a factor?
Only when I don’t have any

Is fear a factor?
Not really.

Just need to get my act together.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction… and sometimes a scar.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

i am to lazy to make it to the track and get my bike prepped.. :0

Old 04-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I would have probably been more interested if I knoew about riding track days when I was a little younger. I am just about 39 and I have no illusions of becoming an AMA Champion. I enjoy my sportbikes, always have. Now that I am in my 3rd season riding track days, I am interested in playing around with the TPM GPMoto Cup races, and probably not much more than that.
As it is, I see no need to come in in front of anyone. I just want to have the most fun I can pull from my bike without having to worry about wadding it up in turn one.

Ken
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
njracer
Team Kessler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSTRIPES
I would have probably been more interested if I knoew about riding track days when I was a little younger. I am just about 39 and I have no illusions of becoming an AMA Champion. I enjoy my sportbikes, always have. Now that I am in my 3rd season riding track days, I am interested in playing around with the TPM GPMoto Cup races, and probably not much more than that.
As it is, I see no need to come in in front of anyone. I just want to have the most fun I can pull from my bike without having to worry about wadding it up in turn one.

Ken
Hey man, I'm also 39 and I'm so looking forward to this year and racing the F40 class with WERA and CCS. No more pesky youngins to bother me....just a bunch of old guys having fun.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
RCM78
Tech Nazi

$700 for one single day at a trackday is an inflated estimate.
Most days cost $160 unless you register late. Fuel for the truck is $70 round trip. No need to stay in a hotel for pocono. Tires can last 4 days or more depending on your riding and type of bike. Some people bring food but lets say $25 for food anyway.

$160 entry fee
$70 fuel for truck
$25 fuel for bike
$70 for one days worth of tires(Diablo Corsas are less then $300 a set)
$25 for food

That comes to an ESTIMATED grand total of $350. Half of your estimated cost...

With this said I've done three day events at VIR as a paying customer for less then $1000 including dinner at medium priced restaraunts like Outback or Ruby Tuesdays for two of those nights. Having friends split travel expenses really helps out.

Comparing racing cost's with TD cost's are completely useless unless you compare two riders with similar habits. A racer in the hunt for championships will spend LOTS of money. Two friends of mine were away from home for over a month last year racing.

I think there are more and more people starting out with TD's and moving on to racing these days. This sport is blowing up year after year and racing org's should really thank the TD orgs for feeding there businesses.
TPM Coach #71

Old 04-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #12
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Racing wasnt something I ever thought of getting into. I just wanted to ride my sportbike on a racetrack. Since TD org's provide that service it wasnt really ever a choice for me.

Now, I look at racing as something I'd like to try. Scheduling is my biggest enemy. Work, plus maintaining a house and coaching for TPM takes up all my time and then some...
TPM Coach #71

Old 04-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by njracer
I tried it for the first time this year, it was a blast!

Quote:
I'm fine, it's the other riders I was worried about

Quote:
Is cash a factor?
always

Quote:
Is fear a factor?
As long as I don't have to eat bugs, I think I can win that show

Quote:
If you have tried racing and did not like it, tell me why.
I loved it! But to be honest, I think I like track days a little better. In general you seem to get more time on the track, and when you have limmitted time off available that matters. I know I could have entered more classes I guess.

Quote:
I do plan on doing more, but not very often. I would love to be out all the time, but like I said, time off is tough. I work most weekends, especially saturdays. I do get a few sundays of, so my only option would be to go out on a sunday only and do a few sprints. And of course there is the money situation, Michelle coud hardly afford my current lifestyle!

I also do find working with TPM on track days very personally rewarding, and would hope to never give that up
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #14
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

i read what was needed to do for preparation for a track bike. I figured too much sutff to do if i wanted to ride this bike as a daily....But i think i do plan on making the current bike a track bike and getting another. Just there's really no space at my house right now for another bike and trailer.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 AM   #15
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
i read what was needed to do for preparation for a track bike. I figured too much sutff to do if i wanted to ride this bike as a daily....But i think i do plan on making the current bike a track bike and getting another. Just there's really no space at my house right now for another bike and trailer.
To get started all you have to do is tape up all the lights and remove the mirrors...
TPM Coach #71