Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Question for the more expienced and older (UPDATED)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy
Default Question for the more expienced and older (UPDATED)

Well heres my question for all of you who have been through or are going through College right now.....first some Background information....

I am currently a full time student at Raritan Valley Community College. I am taking 4 classes or 13 credits......World Civ 101 English 101, Some gay math, and Intro to Psychology......This first week has been pretty good enough work to keep me busy but not enough to keep me from panicing.....Now my question ...... Who thinks it is a good Idea to have a part time job while being a full time student in school.... I know if I do this I will be working tuesday thursdays and fridays....thats alot of time that counld be used for studying and other things like wriitng papers and homework which I get a ton off, mostly tons of reading.

For all those who have been through college what would you suggest to someone in my position, I have quite a bit saved up, almost 2k but I dont think thats enough but I do not want to sacrifice my education either. I know when winter rolls around I will be bored as hell and not be able to ride so if I don't have a job Ill be getting kicked in the ass....what do you guys think?

UPDATE***** 9/21- I hate my life. Thank you.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Last edited by Kennedy; 09-21-2005 at 09:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
MPtotheFZ
PigHoof

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

I think it's a good idea, Kennedy. Even if it's not going to help with school bills and stuff, it's important to have cash in your pocket.

You will find time to study -- from what I've read about you and your general disposition, you've got a great attitude and mindset. If you can't juggle the two, do not sacrifice school for work. When you're done with school, work can and will be found.

I didn't finish college, although I wish I did. Then again, I was a dad at 20. Finishing your schooling should be one of your top priorities right now.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Kennedy
Cake Cop

I definatly agree with your points Vinny I would love to have the money to be able to freely spend it , which I definatly do not do...Im a stingie bastard lol....but it does help to know that I do have money saved up for a rainy day like...track day, crash...another track day + crash lol ........

Figure I will only be going to Community college for two years or so, so I may as well work and save up for when I move out and take a step up to living on my own

But like you said I think that my future is really in my own hands now...they said that in highschool but CC is a second chance and I dont want to miss this up

Old 09-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

I think you should spend your time banging as many chicks as humanly possible!
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 09-12-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher
I think you should spend your time banging as many chicks as humanly possible!
I agree with this. But as the father of a daughter, I would murder you if I were one of those girl's dads. Just letting you know.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 09-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
Kennedy
Cake Cop

LMAO......I will try and bang as many chicks as I can while not pissing off those girls fathers

Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
DougZ
Out of Hiding

As some one who worked all through college, I would do it if you can juggle school work and job, with out letting one affect the other. I personally needed to work to pay for my own stuff, like car, insurance, and college fees themselves.

If working becomes a problem for you to maintain the kind of GPA you want to have, then maybe don't work. If nothing else, it will give you good life experience. Working for someone or a company will give you an idea into what the "real world" is really like, for when you get your degree..an edge you will have over you fellow students who didn't work through school.

Plus, if you listen to Omar, its takes money to bang chicks...alcohol aint free
1995 KDX 200,

DZC

My bikes:

Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

dude, if your smooth you can get the chicks to pay for stuff for you!
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com

Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ
As some one who worked all through college, I would do it if you can juggle school work and job, with out letting one affect the other. I personally needed to work to pay for my own stuff, like car, insurance, and college fees themselves.

If working becomes a problem for you to maintain the kind of GPA you want to have, then maybe don't work. If nothing else, it will give you good life experience. Working for someone or a company will give you an idea into what the "real world" is really like, for when you get your degree..an edge you will have over you fellow students who didn't work through school.

Plus, if you listen to Omar, its takes money to bang chicks...alcohol aint free

Well like you guys suggested I am going to try it out.....this has been an ongoing job since march and I have obtained many responisbilities....I work for 5Swytchback's father as an apprentice to custom and architectual millworking....He has taught me the basics to running your own business....I would take care of all the transactions and orders and shipments and I even got time to work in the shop during the actual making of the mill work....believe me I have had my share of work over this summer...the last couple of weeks before school were 60+ hours a week....those were some nice pay checks....

Considering I have had this expierence I have already considered myself to have an edge over most students who I am going to school with. Most kids I know have only had a part time job as a pizza delivery guy or a waiteress.... I have worked 6 am till 5 go home eat and then come back to work till 11 at night....I know what it takes to work in a business and with that I plan on using it to my advantage when the time comes for me to leave school for good and get a permanent job.

Unlike most kids my age I pay for all of my expenses....my bike, fixing my bike, track days, insurance registration, gas, clothes, I am pretty much very independent from my parents. If I needed money they would be more than happy to give it to me, but they told me if I wanted to something I needed to earn it and thats exactly what I'm doing.

PS....they were kind enough to pay for my community college

Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #11
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

but on a serious note, see if they have any type of co-op or internships available through your school for your line of study. In the long run that would probably prove to be most beneficial, even if pay is less now.
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com

Old 09-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
DougZ
Out of Hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Well like you guys suggested I am going to try it out.....this has been an ongoing job since march and I have obtained many responisbilities....I work for 5Swytchback's father as an apprentice to custom and architectual millworking....He has taught me the basics to running your own business....I would take care of all the transactions and orders and shipments and I even got time to work in the shop during the actual making of the mill work....believe me I have had my share of work over this summer...the last couple of weeks before school were 60+ hours a week....those were some nice pay checks....

Considering I have had this expierence I have already considered myself to have an edge over most students who I am going to school with. Most kids I know have only had a part time job as a pizza delivery guy or a waiteress.... I have worked 6 am till 5 go home eat and then come back to work till 11 at night....I know what it takes to work in a business and with that I plan on using it to my advantage when the time comes for me to leave school for good and get a permanent job.

Unlike most kids my age I pay for all of my expenses....my bike, fixing my bike, track days, insurance registration, gas, clothes, I am pretty much very independent from my parents. If I needed money they would be more than happy to give it to me, but they told me if I wanted to something I needed to earn it and thats exactly what I'm doing.

PS....they were kind enough to pay for my community college

Like the others said, sound slike you have your head on straight, and I think you'll do fine. Good luck and do well.

And remember, when a chick says no, it means no..but if she says do her harder, it means pull her hair and give her rug burn on her tata's. ...while doing her harder.
1995 KDX 200,

DZC

My bikes:

Old 09-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #13
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

I worked part time while in college, except for freshman year because I couldn't have a car there. Soph = The Gap at the mall, Jr = Walmart, Sr = The arcade at the mall. As long as your job understand's you're a student and offers very flexable hours and won't treat you like a dog, you'll be fine. I quit walmart because they would have me working 30 hrs a week when I only requested 15 - 20 and was taking 18 credits. It was also a good way to keep out of trouble, idle hands are the tool of the devil.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 09-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
Kennedy
Cake Cop

It'll do more then keep my hands idle...I'll be like your sig....fuck lol

Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #15
Taz
Hurricane Katina

Send a message via AIM to Taz

Like everyone else said. I would go to school and work part time. Just make sure you get a job understand that school comes first. For the two years I was in college I worked three days a week at a pharmacy. It gives you a head start when your ready to work full time. Good luck with school.

~No good deed goes unpunished~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ
Tina, you could have just ended that sentence with " I'm the smart one"...but we already knew that.
http://profile.myspace.com/Tazg24