Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

"Timing Retard Eliminator"
Old 04-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
akomplis
Tank Slapper

Default "Timing Retard Eliminator"

Does this really work?

Sounds like a sure way to void the warranty...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/154283368.html

Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

TRE does work...Not exactly sure, but I think it takes 1st thru 4th and advances the timing to 5th. I've never used one, but people swear by it.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

Send a message via AIM to Commuta_Busa

well at least the got the name TRE = Timing Retard Eliminator right. They also got the fact that the basic ones always "tell" the ecu that the bike is in 5th gear.

It's been track proven that the ONLY benefit to using a TRE is to eliminate the top speed restriction. It does not improve performance. "around one tenth and 1 ½- 2 mph slower" with an active TRE in the 1/4 mile.

The reason there are more advanced TRE's is because of this reason. Some have a switch (so you only activate it during a top speed run) or ones that only activate when the bike is in 6th gear.

PM me if you want more details. There's just to much to list. Only get a TRE if you need to de-restrict the top speed or get a more expensive/advanced one that either you have control over its activation or it only activates when you're in 6th gear.
thanks: Aeromotive/ACL/AIM sport/Tsukigi/AP racing/APE/BDE/Big CC racing/BMC/BoostbySmith/Brembo/Calico/Carbon Lorraine/Carpenter racing/Catalyst composites/Clear alternatives/Cometic/Cosworth/CP/Cycle-tek/Dynojet/Earl's plumbing/EK/FBG/Harris/Hel/Honda/Hyperpro/Innovate/Kickstand racing/Lee Shierts racing/Lindemann Engineering/Machine pro/Magnaflow/Mikuni/NLR/NOS/Pro-bolt/Penske/Puig/R&D/RCC turbos/RCS/RPM racing/SBS/Schnitz racing/Sharkskinz/Spencer cycles/Spiegler/Sprocket specialties/Stedman/The Motorhead/Thermo-Tec/Tiger racing/TTS/Walbro/Yamaha/Yoshimura R&D/World wide bearings/Zukinot

Last edited by Commuta_Busa; 04-26-2006 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
BurnCycle
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle

Depends on the bike too. The TL's (both R and S) greatly benefited from a TRE due to the retard being so pronounced at lower RPM's. Quick throttle snaps could make a TL sputter at first then slowly acceleration came on until you were out of the retards parameters (lower RPM or higher gear). A TL owner that does a lot of city driving could notice a huge difference in engine response. We all know a TL is never going to hit the speed limiter (not sure if it even has one) because it won’t go that fast, but a TRE works well on it.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction… and sometimes a scar.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

the TL is the exception to more than just the results. The TRE is different for the TL. I don't think it's strictly related to the number of cyclinders though. You can put a little "*" next to the TL in alot of cases.
thanks: Aeromotive/ACL/AIM sport/Tsukigi/AP racing/APE/BDE/Big CC racing/BMC/BoostbySmith/Brembo/Calico/Carbon Lorraine/Carpenter racing/Catalyst composites/Clear alternatives/Cometic/Cosworth/CP/Cycle-tek/Dynojet/Earl's plumbing/EK/FBG/Harris/Hel/Honda/Hyperpro/Innovate/Kickstand racing/Lee Shierts racing/Lindemann Engineering/Machine pro/Magnaflow/Mikuni/NLR/NOS/Pro-bolt/Penske/Puig/R&D/RCC turbos/RCS/RPM racing/SBS/Schnitz racing/Sharkskinz/Spencer cycles/Spiegler/Sprocket specialties/Stedman/The Motorhead/Thermo-Tec/Tiger racing/TTS/Walbro/Yamaha/Yoshimura R&D/World wide bearings/Zukinot

Old 04-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
BurnCycle
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuta_Busa
You can put a little "*" next to the TL in alot of cases.
And the people that ride them too.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction… and sometimes a scar.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

Yeh I see your points. Its like how grass builds up soil in the right areas before the trees start. Kinda like how cylinders eat gas when the pipes in the back are too loud...I think you all would agree with me when I say that valve springs time the retard just right.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
DougZ
Out of Hiding

It works great on the SV1K too. Huge difference in the throttle feel....but the 650 guys usually don't like it. I am happy with mine.
1995 KDX 200,

DZC

My bikes:

Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Commuta_Busa
Slow Ass Busa

btw... my bike runs with a basic TRE. But that's because I needed a clean baseline for the ECU's timming AND fuel for all of the gears prior to tunning.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

So this sucker might also improve the performance of any new 600 I might get in the future?

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'