Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > Got Gear?
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Gear questions for the ladies.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Default Gear questions for the ladies.

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon and she's been swimming in my old JR textile all these years. She's has been learning to ride and sometimes she rides pillion with me.

I'd like to get her a stylish motorcycle textile or textile jacket with good removable CE armor. Do any of the ladies on this site have any recommendations?

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code

Last edited by Lucky7; 03-14-2007 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
SPL170db
Throttle Lock

I'd recommend that if you are interested in protecting your g/f you spring for leather, perforated if need be, but textile is next to useless at anything faster than parking lot speed.

CCS AM 478

"Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing."

-- Dwight Schrute

Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

I'm leaning towards leather or leather/textile jackets. I'm definitely trying to avoid Icon products b/c I think they're crap.

"Footpeg, knee-puck and side tire wear tell how deeply the devotee partakes of our cult sacraments: the scuffs, scrapes and feathered side rubber from conquered forces, or the fractured plastic of triumphant ones, are worn proudly up and down our two-lane tabernacles as proof of personal enlightenment."

Keith Code

Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
SPL170db
Throttle Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
I'm leaning towards leather or leather/textile jackets. I'm definitely trying to avoid Icon products b/c I think they're crap.

I would too, I don't trust Icon, leave that shit for parking-lot-speed stunt riders.

Both Joe Rocket and Alpinestars have complete female specific lines

CCS AM 478

"Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing."

-- Dwight Schrute

Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
EvilSteve
I are not David Hicks

Here's a good option for you dude:

http://www.revit.eu/cms2007/cms/Prod...php?product=12
(black is better of course)

It's got leather where it needs it, it's got two liners - one waterproof, one for warmth - and it looks awesome. Friend of mine (female rider) just bought one. I also have a friend with the guy's version, he's had it for a while and loves it. Ducati NYC is a dealer for Rev'it so you can check them out without too much drama.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
soda7o
Lazy Ass

Send a message via AIM to soda7o

whats wrong with ICON... why do you say they are crap?

back to the topic.. lucky a pic of yoru girl would help lol
ok ok .. het her a nice leather jacket... perferted woudl be fine since i am sure she will not be riding in december...

here is a goodplace to start
http://www.newenough.com/browse/prot...kets_and_pants

Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
SPL170db
Throttle Lock

Not one single pro rider (short of "pro" stunters) wears Icon, and they never get faster than what 35 mph? Seen their helmets split from an impact, not good. They also do not make any sort of leather pant, so going to a track is out of the question. Better quality to be had for the same price with more reputable brands.

CCS AM 478

-- Dwight Schrute

Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
cbr_F4i_Chick
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to cbr_F4i_Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
My girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon and she's been swimming in my old JR textile all these years. She's has been learning to ride and sometimes she rided pillion with me.

I'd like to get her a stylish motorcycle textile or textile jacket with good removable CE armor. Do any of the ladies on this site have any recommendations?
YEAH G-LINE is my top choice!!!!! AWESOMELY SOFT and stylish and made for women...hein gerikkkkeeeee ladies line. I also appreciate Arlen ness!

or if u want cheaper, powertrip's pretty good and everything has removable armor.

i have tons of icon and its stiff and uncomfortable. JR I have and another set of crap. AStar is OKAYYY...its not my top choice. I have a small frame and l appreciate soft and light. I don't have time to stand in the shower with my leather on to sleep in over night...LOL.

Also, women are hard to fit...what's her body type? Seriously women are hard to fit, every brand cuts different and well...we have different measurements.

Last edited by cbr_F4i_Chick; 03-14-2007 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr_F4i_Chick View Post
YEAH G-LINE is my top choice!!!!! AWESOMELY SOFT and stylish and made for women...hein gerikkkkeeeee ladies line. I also appreciate Arlen ness!

or if u want cheaper, powertrip's pretty good and everything has removable armor.
Thanks I'll check out their sites. Stylish is the key word otherwise it gets returned or not used.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda7o View Post
whats wrong with ICON... why do you say they are crap?

back to the topic.. lucky a pic of yoru girl would help lol
ok ok .. het her a nice leather jacket... perferted woudl be fine since i am sure she will not be riding in december...
I heard about crash-tested Icon Jackets with busted seams. I was thinking "perferted" too but I probably also should get something that she can use off the bike.

Okok, since you asked here's a pic of my girl:

Keith Code

Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
njf4i
BlackBerry Tech Support

Send a message via AIM to njf4i

Well i'm no lady, but the JR calendar i have has a ton of hot chicks in JR riding jackets. Your best bet is to take her to a place that has a bunch to choose from, and then order over the net.

I know from experience, guys can't pick out girls clothing at all. Well unless its vickies, and they usually don't mind what choice as long as you get the right size.

I use to dance like this--> Now I dance like this-->

MYSPACE MY WORK

Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
CBRBob
A 37 Production

JR used to be crap, now they are good. Icon is still crap, even their helmets.

As far as textile not being any good above parking lot speeds, wrong again. I am living proof that is false.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

I bought and used a JR textile last season (yeah, even in summer...didn't have a ton of $$) and it worked ok enough. the back piece suxed, was too long, had to cut it....but, I found a kickass JR mesh w/lining which I love (bought on newenough)...the armor is great and anatomically fits correctly in the right spots. see if i can find some pix of my gear. i also recently bought a Vanson leather jacket which has been great for cutting wind for 40/50's temps. I got hein gericke track pants...breathable, soft and very comfy. loose enough for 2 layers under...i even wore them yesterday not knowing how much debris would be on road and i was a little hot but not too bad.

Definately recommend she looks online to see what's out there and what she might like then go somewhere to try diff. ones on and then buyin' via internet is your best bet.

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Sue
Gear Nazi

The only "Icon" gear I have is the Ladies Tuscadero Jacket in White and I love it. It is perforated, has armor, and a removable liner. Also, its cut for a girl so it fits perfect. It's definitely a solid/made well jacket. Again, its the only "icon" product I have but I'm really happy with it.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Lucky7
Tank Slapper

This is what I'm getting her:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...t--608262.html

Textile w/ leather reinforcements. Doesn't come w/ CE armor but I do have a smaller set from my mesh jacket.

Keith Code

Old 03-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
HondaGalToo
Burnout

Can't go wrong with Dainese stuff. Does the jacket have a zipper to attach pants, should she want those? Personally, I like Vanson's stuff. They make women's sizes, too, although I ended up going custom anyway.