Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

I went with plasma. This was a couple of years a go when lcd refresh rates were slow and watching sports on them sucked balls if you didn't spend a gazillion dollars on a set.
It's now outdated(like me) according to industry standards today. Mine is only 720P but I am still amazed at the clarity and picture quality of it. I chose Panasonic fwiw.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

We went with a Samsung DLP Been happy with if for a few years now

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbochner View Post
Here is the answer..........................

Most people (you guys) have no clue what a good image is supposed to look like. Go to best buy or PC richards and pick what looks best to you. (i just did an install with a 12k plasma panel, and the stupid fuck client compared it to the 1200 dollar samsung in the hamptons and tried to tell me the samsung looks beter.......case in point......the plasma was ISF tuned with fancy devices and things i can't even pronounce)

If you reallly , truely, honestly care about the image quality AND (big AND) have the money to spend. I can lean you towards making a good decision. F 3D.......is sucks and makes you dizzy as hell so don't even ask yet.

my personal pic if 46" Samsung 8000 series or sony ex700 series, but both are not that cheap...........if you can find a pioneer elite hanging around anywhere or even broad line pionner BUY IT!!!!!!.........with out question the best image you will find.........KEEP IN MIND........if you tv will be in high light situations then stay with LED LCD.

sorry for jumping around, but i hope my rant helps you a bit. if not i will tell you where joe lives and you can go steal his tv........LOL
Actually the store is a pretty bad way to judge a set for several reasons. For one the lighting conditions at the store are not going to be the same as in your home.

Second, it's anybody guess what picture settings were set on which TVs, and its not likely any of the sets were properly set up, with the possible exception of the higher end set in the Magnolia room (and even that is questionable).

Finally most of the sets are fed a feed thats being split numerous times. With analog signals I know this was an issue. I don't know what method they are using to split the digital signal these new sets are getting, but if there is any signal conversion taking place, this is an issue. I doubt this is happening , but I really don't know.

Back to Ant's original question on wether $400 was worth the "upgrade" to an LED set. Well that depends on if its full-array LED or just edge-lit. I probably wouldnt pay that much more for edge lit unless I really needed a 1.2" thin TV. Secondly, is the only "upgrade" of the LED set the fact that it has LED backlighting, or does it also contain other features like VGA input, additional HDMI inputs, DLNA support, etc. For all we know he could be comparing two very unequal sets.

And of course, when you are ready to buy, make sure you do some shopping around for price.. 6th Ave, Best Buy and Sears often have sales.. PC Richards seems to have terrible prices, so I'm guessing you will have to work at getting the price down.

What sets are you comparing Ant?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
paul11
Resident A/V Guy

Also, start to look at the NEWER sharp LCD's. THey are actually being produced by pioneer..........ANT if you you PM me whats you want' to spend. I can check my distributor and atleast tell you what you should spend or even help get you what you want. If you find something you like, I can also get you a price.. If on the lower to mid of the line you will def get a better price at the store as the by in bulk. You can do reasearch and still go nuts trying to buy the right tv. I install these things every day and now only sell a handfull of manufacturers and models that look great and last.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
John712
Puke Boy

Send a message via AIM to John712

56 inch samsung, got it home, plugged everything in, turned it on, looked good to me!

Cakes towards Ian on having to save money to see family in St Lucia.... 'or some girl u hadnt seen since kindergarten u just connected with on FB'? -

The Sportbike Website known around the

Old 07-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
Jake
Foot Fetish Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbochner View Post
Most people (you guys) have no clue what a good image is supposed to look like.

Go to best buy or PC richards and pick what looks best to you.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #22
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117

I got the Samsung UN55B8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV a few months ago and LOVE it! I did have a conventional 42 in b4

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #23
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Ok, thanks guys. I will let you know what models I'm looking at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

We got a new TV last year, and went with the Samsung LN52B750 52" LCD. Didn't do much research to be honest but it seemed the only advantage to the LED was thinner and lighter and since I wasn't wall mounting that didn't matter, plus that unit had a big discount on it. As it turned out that set had great reviews and so far we are very happy with it
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
ImmaSquashYou
Gear Nazi

Send a message via AIM to ImmaSquashYou

i want a 65 in samsung or sony 240hz lcd for under $900 or a 55" 56" for less than $700. hence i'm still looking and prob will never buy a tv -= \0