Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > The Garage - Tech Talk > Suspension, Tires, Handling
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

track tire ?HELP?
Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
breeze
Up Chuck

Default track tire ?HELP?

so im buying new tires for my bike and im a little lost.. ..... i have an 08 gsxr 750... i never had a "track only" bike before.. my tire of choice on the streets was the pilot powers.(i just have a lot of confidence on those tires) on perellis, on the street i wasnt to happy... the metzler m3 just suck.. and the qualifers were good i just think the pilots felt better.... tires are going to be an issue this year for me cause i got a whole bunch of track time planned..... on the track so far i rode the bridge stone t015r. basically what is the stock tire.....i can get sets of those for 220 which is super cheap but is it worth it to save a few pennies... in my mind no but i dont know how much tires are going to play a role cause i heard you go threw them like toilet paper........i have no clue what to buy mayb the pilot power ct2,s i can get those for 310 do u guys have any advise.... what tires do you guys run and why?? just looking for advise i plan to get rims with rain tires for the rain so lets assume dry track thanks
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING
supported by: TPM/Heroic/Pirelli/Penske/Full Spectrum

Old 01-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

What group are in you in again?

For rains, imo Bstones hands down. Remember to run a narrower tire, 165 rear for Bstones.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
ronaldo9
Benedict Arnold

Send a message via AIM to ronaldo9

Many of us run the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro. Little bit more grip then the DCIII but not super expensive either. They are about 309/set. My advice is to stick with a pilot power 2ct or qualifier whatever you like and you'll know when you need to step it up to a better tire trust me. They'll either be melting after a day or you'll be sliding them in turns. Tell you the truth I was using DCIII's up to Advanced group with no problems and stepped it up for more insurance. I'm still slow though but w/e.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
JimRBlue
Throttle Lock

Send a message via AIM to JimRBlue Send a message via MSN to JimRBlue Send a message via Yahoo to JimRBlue

DCIII's are fine for the whitey..

[Today 07:41 PM] John217: wait till next season when i BLOW YOU ALL!

[Today 08:28 PM] Jase: i would put my fav. strap-on around the triples and hold on for life

[Today 08:39 PM] landshark: if you are confortable putting your head on someones leg then go for it

2003 Yamaha FZ1
Micron Scorched Titanium Slip-On
Sport tech blue Chrome
Greggs's Flushmount LED
JMV Bodyworks Undertail

2006 YZF R6
Dr X Kit X-treme Undertail
VFX Pivot Plate kit
Pazzo Shorties - black/gold
Puig Race Screen - Black
520 Conversion

Old 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
lateapex
Skid Mark

Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro are my choice. Word is the Bridgestones are pretty good too.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #929

"It's so much better goin' nowhere fast"

Stickers: See Chris at http://www.drippinwet.com

Old 01-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
RQuinn
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to RQuinn

DC3's lasted me 11 track days (1 was a rain day) in red/blue group this year without warmers and would have lasted longer if they didnt cold tear at njmp oct 20th when i saw you last...

Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

When it comes to tires, its shouldn't matter what other people like. ride on what makes you feel comfortable. You can't go wrong with anything from pirelli/bridgestone/michelin/dunlop.

Sounds like you like pilot powers, the pilot power 2ct's are just pilot powers with a dual compound tread, a harder rubber in the center and softer on the sides rather than a uniform rubber throughout the tire.

As for rain tires, my opinion is they really aren't necessary for trackdays. You can ride fine in the rain on street/track and d.o.t.s in the rain

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
breeze
Up Chuck

ok thanks for the input.............. right now im in the red group......... and 11 track days on one pair...thats alot......
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING

Old 01-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
ffejtable
Shoutbox Killer

I think I got 10 days on my rear until I got onto Lightning and it tore the hell out of it... I run mid pack red on most tracks to give you an idea of how slow I am. I'll probbaly get another 10 days on the front tire.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
breeze
Up Chuck

so quick question?????????? why are so guys getting like 8 to 10 track days out of a set and others like 2... i figure PACE and TACK TEMP. has a key role but the one guy is in blue group mid pack id say and he got 10 ??? it just doesnt figure right but i now that their being honest??? i dont know......
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

It also depends on riding style/track/temp etc...some people who are hard on the throttle and not smooth go through rear tires like water...

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
pillaka
Stiffy Pooh

Send a message via AIM to pillaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
so quick question?????????? why are so guys getting like 8 to 10 track days out of a set and others like 2... i figure PACE and TACK TEMP. has a key role but the one guy is in blue group mid pack id say and he got 10 ??? it just doesnt figure right but i now that their being honest??? i dont know......
There are a ton of variables that dictate when people replace tires.

Yes the faster you go, the faster you will burn through tires. It sucks.

Also a street/track compound tire is a harder rubber than at DOT tire, so they will last longer. The rider also plays a part, a smoother rider not pushing the tires hard is going to get more life out of it. I can easily see someone getting 10 days out of a street/track compound tire. Thing about those tires is as long as they have rubber on them they are going to grip pretty much that same, not so much for DOT tires which have optimal grip then fade toward the end of their lifecycle.

When it comes to replacing them, that comes down to the rider.
Over the years I see lots and lots of people get a set of lets say pirelli DOT supercorsas. Run 2 - 3 trackdays, as soon as they feel a rear "slide", the buy a new rear or even a whole new set and throw that on the bike. So now you have someone saying they get 2 - 3 days out of a set.

In the meantime you can have another guy run the same tires and the same 2 - 3 trackdays, feel a rear "slide", look at the rear tire and see he has 50 - 60% rubber left and keep riding on it and get another trackday or two. He's running the same pace and gets 4 - 5 out of a set.

To each their own, your money you can do what you want! Personally though I don't mind the people that look at a supercorsa with 50% tread left and then decide to throw it out, free takeoffs are awesome!

2009 Yamaha R6 Racebike R.I.P
WERA expert #360
CCS/ASRA #360
TPM Coach #360

2009 Sponsors

Team Pro-Motion
Woodcraft CFM Motorsports
Monmouth Cycles
Rider Insurance

Last edited by pillaka; 02-05-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
breeze
Up Chuck

ok ok thanks for the input makes more sence now..
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING

Old 02-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
FDNYDANO18
Lieutenant Dan

I usually get about 2-3 days on a rear and about 5-6 on a front( Pirelli SC Pro)... when they start to slide around on the last day or 2 ...I just slow down a little and enjoy trying to learn sliding with control.

Last edited by FDNYDANO18; 02-01-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
khr
Learner's Permit

A bit late to the party, but i really like the bridgestone BT002RS. i'm a mid-pack red group and got 8 days out of mine last season.