Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #31
HondaGalToo
Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post

These instructors at the "other" (aka the non "free" ones) courses actually care about keeping you safe and making sure you are properly instructed The states Instructors probably do not give a rats ass whether or not you crash the day after they issue you the license.
That is completely untrue. I know instructors at Sea Girt (aka the free one), Riders Ed, and FDU and they all care equally about the job they're doing and the students. I haven't yet met one that isn't passionate about the sport. You just happen to be friends with many Rider Ed instructors.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #32
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Just to be clear, I am not questioning the coaches or curriculum, just the fact the way the money is being diverted.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #33
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob View Post
Just to be clear, I am not questioning the coaches or curriculum, just the fact the way the money is being diverted.
Isn't the curriculum the same?

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #34
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
That is completely untrue. I know instructors at Sea Girt (aka the free one), Riders Ed, and FDU and they all care equally about the job they're doing and the students. I haven't yet met one that isn't passionate about the sport. You just happen to be friends with many Rider Ed instructors.
I was just making a generalization to state workers

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #35
DubbleRNR
Learner's Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
I was just making a generalization to state workers

Yes, you did. And it was ignorant of you.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #36
jesse370
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to jesse370

i have to agree the free state program was at least for me damn near impossible to freaking get into. I got tired of calling numbers and what not so I did the riders edge course.

it was like 45 degrees with driving rain both days on the range. It was hell but I did it. By the end of the second range day I was shaking so bad, but I soaked it up.....literally and kept going. I learned ALOT those days in those shitty range days.

I was riding the course in the wet doing the 2nd gear loop thing and gave it a little too much throttle in one corner and dirt tracked it through the corner. I had a riot and was used to it from my dirtbike days but the range instructor didn't feel the same way.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #37
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse370 View Post
I was riding the course in the wet doing the 2nd gear loop thing and gave it a little too much throttle in one corner and dirt tracked it through the corner. I had a riot and was used to it from my dirtbike days but the range instructor didn't feel the same way.

So how many days were spent in the dealership looking at the sales/service/parts dept?
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #38
jesse370
Learner's Permit

Send a message via AIM to jesse370

LOL, we did take a tour of the stealership, BUT with that being said we spent like 25 minutes walking through the place and we did the after the classroom session was over.

I can't say I felt like that was MORE important then say teaching me to ride correctly. BUT I also only at that point knew of a few dealerships offering the ridersedge course and the impossible to get into state program. I learned alot and can't begrudge them a tour of the place.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #39
Redlinerider
Dan the Man

Location: where you get pulled over just cause you own a bike..

didnt even read your post, just your tittle.

the best thing you could have done or think of doing!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #40
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

Eh, I paid last year...not free...no biggie. I wanna take the Advanced class at some point. Can't hurt

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #41
tsxguy77
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to tsxguy77

Well I had the course this weekend and it was great! Im really surprised at how good it was since it was through the state and I really doubt the other ones could offer anything better (besides maybe an easier time getting registered since you are paying a few hundred). the bikes were great and a lot of them were pretty new too. Everyone in the class was cool and the instructors at Sea Girt were awesome. I have to admit I didnt learn much since I have been riding street for a year and had a lot of off-road experience before hand, but I did like the practice of braking hard to avoid something and maneuvering the bike in tight positions or going over things like a block of wood. I would not wish to test those things in my new bike.

We had a written test at the end of the day Saturday and the last thing we did on Sunday was a ride evaluation and I had a perfect score on that. It would have been embarrassing if the only guy with his license didnt do good.

So now Im going to look into the Experienced Rider Course.

Oh, and apparently this course accepts stand-by's, so if you have a lot of trouble trying to register, you can show up and if you are there early, you will most likely get in. I wish I knew that last year when I first tried to call in. If anyone has any questions about the stand-by thing, let me know.

Im going to show up at their next experienced rider course and see if I get in as a stand by. The instructors told me a few dates I can try to show up. If anyone is interested, send me a mesage. I dont wanna broadcast it and have competition the day Im looking to show up.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #42
DubbleRNR
Learner's Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxguy77 View Post
Well I had the course this weekend and it was great! Im really surprised at how good it was since it was through the state
You're being facetious, correct?

Quote:
the bikes were great and a lot of them were pretty new too
Those bikes aren't close to being new, except for the blue Interceptors. The are impecably maintained. The ranges are awesome as well, probably the nicest I've seen.

Quote:
the instructors at Sea Girt were awesome.
Who did you have?

Quote:
We had a written test at the end of the day Saturday and the last thing we did on Sunday was a ride evaluation and I had a perfect score on that. It would have been embarrassing if the only guy with his license didnt do good.
You'd be surprised at how many licensed riders take the skills evaluation and just make it!

Quote:
Im going to show up at their next experienced rider course and see if I get in as a stand by. The instructors told me a few dates I can try to show up. If anyone is interested, send me a mesage. I dont wanna broadcast it and have competition the day Im looking to show up.
I'll be teaching the ERC on Saturday, April 14th. Make sure you introduce yourself if you come down!

Glad to hear that you had a positive experience!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #43
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

I realized after I left that it might have been you in the class, we were seated at the same table. I didn't get to come back for the second day because I had a doctor's appointment for my newborn.

My buddy enjoyed the class as well. He's excited that he can officially get a bike and ride now.

Nice meeting you!

Gerard AKA SilverDragon

Quote:
Well I had the course this weekend and it was great!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #44
_Jay_
Burnout

MSF classes are for chumps! If you wanna learn 2 wheelie, I'll show you on my Busa!

lol jk Marc....glad you had a good time.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #45
tsxguy77
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to tsxguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
I realized after I left that it might have been you in the class, we were seated at the same table. I didn't get to come back for the second day because I had a doctor's appointment for my newborn.

My buddy enjoyed the class as well. He's excited that he can officially get a bike and ride now.

Nice meeting you!

Gerard AKA SilverDragon
Ha ha, what a small world! nice meeting you too man. I think your buddy fell during practice. Its too bad you had to sit through all the basic stuff on Friday night and miss the action on the bikes but the appointment for your new born is a priority. Maybe when you get a new bike Ill see ya riding sometime.