Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Dual purpose bike
Old 12-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
CoolerBig
Squid

Send a message via Yahoo to CoolerBig
Default Dual purpose bike

I have a question for all track junkies out there. :wave2: I have 2005 Kawi ZX10R. Now, I was thinking of getting another ZX10R for the track. So, the question is: How hard is it to use one bike for both street and track? Is it a lot of pain to switch plastics every time. I would assume it is. Is there any simple way to set up a bike for dual purpose(street and track)? So, I don't have to spend a lot of money for another ZX10R + mods...

Old 12-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerBig
I have a question for all track junkies out there. :wave2: I have 2005 Kawi ZX10R. Now, I was thinking of getting another ZX10R for the track. So, the question is: How hard is it to use one bike for both street and track? Is it a lot of pain to switch plastics every time. I would assume it is. Is there any simple way to set up a bike for dual purpose(street and track)? So, I don't have to spend a lot of money for another ZX10R + mods...
Why not make the 10 the track bike and get something a little more reasonable for the street. Most of us have something a bit more comfortable for the street as you don't need to be scrunched up in public.
There is no way to make the transformation easy, changing all that stuff can take quite a while and even longer if you run any kind of race rubber. Then you need spare wheels!
If you are going 2-3 times a year, suck it up. Any more than that and you need to start thinking of a 2nd bike.
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Well in response to your question I have a zx6r that was converted into a street fighter after my accident. Therefore I do not have any street plastics besides my tail section and my fender. I bought track plastics which I plan on putting on when I do ride the track. I also have started my purchase on a spare set of wheels for race rubber. The only reason I have yet to buy another bike for the street and track my 636 is because I am a poor 17 year old going to college and working a part time job.

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 12-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
CoolerBig
Squid

Thanks, Bob

That's what I figured. I think it will be huge pain in the butt to transform the bike.
I am planning on going to the track as often as once a week(could be more). The reason I am trying to have two identical bikes for the street and the track is because you don't have to get used to different setup every time you switch bikes. That could be wrong assumption, but as far as I know your neuromuscular system has to reset itself for a new setup/bike. For instance when I tried to switch my ice hockey skates (both skates were broken in by me) I didn't feel as good on the ice as with the other skates. After a while I got used to the skates and could do as well. Same thing happened when I switched back...

Old 12-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
CoolerBig
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Well in response to your question I have a zx6r that was converted into a street fighter after my accident. Therefore I do not have any street plastics besides my tail section and my fender. I bought track plastics which I plan on putting on when I do ride the track. I also have started my purchase on a spare set of wheels for race rubber. The only reason I have yet to buy another bike for the street and track my 636 is because I am a poor 17 year old going to college and working a part time job.
What about headlights, tailight, blinkers and all that electrical crap? I mean, it seems to me that if you plan on going to the track often, then it will be a huge pain in the butt to do that much work every time...

Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
What about headlights, tailight, blinkers and all that electrical crap? I mean, it seems to me that if you plan on going to the track often, then it will be a huge pain in the butt to do that much work every time...
All that stuff takes me about 20 minutes to do. Tape up the lights, remove the mirrors and disconnect the bulbs. If you run in the faster groups tires may be an added issue but I use the diablo corsas for street and track use.

Tom

Old 12-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
CoolerBig
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac
All that stuff takes me about 20 minutes to do. Tape up the lights, remove the mirrors and disconnect the bulbs. If you run in the faster groups tires may be an added issue but I use the diablo corsas for street and track use.

Tom
So, from my understanding you basically don't bother to change plastics. You just disconnect electrical stuff and tape the lights. Correct? What if you crash? Then you will have to spend a lot of money on stock plastics and shit like that...
I don't think tires are a big deal for me. At this point I am just starting my track days. So, I won't be going fast for a while. Need to learn a lot. So, I am planning on using Michelin PP for the street and the track.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Kennedy
Cake Cop

When I said I converted it to street fighter all that I have to take off is the small headlight that I purchased after market, takes about 2 minutes to unstrap the straps and disconnect the wires from the plug into the main harness and Im finished.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Jimmy
"We got a runner!"

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy

Quote:
I am planning on going to the track as often as once a week(could be more).
Did you hit the lottery?

I have a gsxr for the track and a 748 for the street and have no trouble adjusting between the two so I wouldn't worry about that. Most will agree that the zx10 is overkill for the track so I'd keep that for the street and pick up a 600 for the track.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
Did you hit the lottery?

I have a gsxr for the track and a 748 for the street and have no trouble adjusting between the two so I wouldn't worry about that. Most will agree that the zx10 is overkill for the track so I'd keep that for the street and pick up a 600 for the track.
on the 600

Old 12-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
CoolerBig
Squid

[QUOTE=jimmy] Did you hit the lottery?
QUOTE]

Let's put it this way... I like riding a lot. I don't care how much I spend on something that I like. I don't go to clubs/restaurants. I don't drink/smoke. Think about it this way: People , spend $100-250 a weekend going to stinky, noisy clubs...Well, I add another 50-100 and I am on the track. Much more fun for me.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
Vin
Ducaddilac

Send a message via AIM to Vin

Quote:
I don't go to clubs/restaurants. I don't drink/smoke. Think about it this way: People , spend $100-250 a weekend going to stinky, noisy clubs...Well, I add another 50-100 and I am on the track. Much more fun for me.
I like the way this guy thinks.

Facebook | Flickr | NYCGo - New York City

Old 12-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #13
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Im not old enough to think that way yet

Old 12-04-2005, 04:36 PM   #14
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
Most will agree that the zx10 is overkill for the track
The 10 is not overkill for any track, maybe for the rider but it's up to he/she to learn the bike's full potential...it was made for the track. It is overkill on the street.

If he wants a secondary bike for the street he should pick up a 600 being even most 600's are more than enough for the street and his fuel mileage and ins. rates will be much better.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Last edited by High_Revs_17; 12-04-2005 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #15
CoolerBig
Squid

[QUOTE=High_Revs_17]The 10 is not overkill for any track, maybe for the rider but it's up to he/she to learn the bike's full potential...it was made for the track. It is overkill on the street.
[QUOTE]

I agree 100%. It's the rider who makes that difference.
As for the street...Well, I enjoy it. I tried ZX6R and I didn't like it. Mileage? Not a big deal.