Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Suzuki Recalling 05/06 GSX-R1000s For Frame Bracing, Replacement Or Reimbursement
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206
Default Suzuki Recalling 05/06 GSX-R1000s For Frame Bracing, Replacement Or Reimbursement

American Suzuki has launched a voluntary safety recall on 2005 and 2006 model year GSX-R1000s.

This week American Suzuki sent out letters to registered owners of the affected models, informing them that:

“Suzuki has received reports of cracking or breakage of the motorcycle frame in certain extreme situations where unusually high stress is placed on the frame, such as collisions involving the front wheel/fork assembly.

“Suzuki has also received reports of cracking or breakage of the frame behind and below the steering neck when the motorcycle is subjected to repeated hard landings from hazardous maneuvers such as extreme or extended wheelies or other stunts...If the frame becomes broken during this type of extreme use, a crash could occur.

“While ordinary operation of the motorcycle does not create a risk of cracking or breakage of the frame, Suzuki has decided voluntarily to conduct this Safety Recall to minimize the potential for frame cracking or breakage in the circumstances described above.”

The recall notice goes on to state that owners of these GSX-R1000s should contact their local Suzuki dealer and schedule an appointment to have their frame inspected. If the frame is not cracked, an aluminum reinforcement brace weighing less than two pounds will be fitted with bolts and epoxy adhesive below the frame spar and below and behind the steering head. The service takes three hours to do, but the bike must remain at the dealership overnight for the epoxy to set completely.

If the frame is found to be cracked it will be replaced with a new frame already fitted with the reinforcing brace.

“To reassure your confidence in your Suzuki GSX-R1000, Suzuki will provide a five-year warranty on your frame and the frame reinforcement brace beginning on the date of the installation by your dealer,” read the notice. “If your motorcycle is included in the Safety Recall and you have paid for the repair or replacement of the frame due to cracking or breakage of the frame in the relevant area, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement.”

“We’re recognizing that in spite of unwarranted behavior or use that is not designed into this motorcycle this, in very rare instances, has occurred,” Glenn Hansen, American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC), Communications Manager, Motorcycle/ATV Division, told Roadracingworld.com Friday.

Hansen said approximately “half of one percent” of 2005-2006 GSX-R1000s shipped worldwide have been affected by this problem.

“We just want to make sure people are aware of what can happen, and we’re taking the necessary precautions to continue to provide a safe product,” Hansen added.

Asked if an owner was eligible if their frame was cracked or broken in a crash during a sanctioned race or track day event, Hansen said, “It’s still eligible.”

Owners are advised to contact their local Suzuki dealer first but if they need further assistance they can call ASMC Customer Service Department at (714) 572-1490.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=35357

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Jake
Foot Fetish Guy

Sweet, maybe this guy is covered under warranty -

Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
MarioB
Burnout

He should be covered....but ahhhh....where's the frame?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
breeze
Up Chuck

well that sucks and that guys bike is worked
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING
supported by: TPM/Heroic/Pirelli/Penske/Full Spectrum

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

we still didn't get the paperwork on it, but I had the guys look it up on the dealer site, and yep it's on. They're is a check the tech has to do, and if it's ok they brace the frame, if not they pay us to strip your bike and put it on a new frame that has the bracing on it
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Xracer264
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Xracer264 Send a message via Yahoo to Xracer264

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanBootyScratcher View Post
we still didn't get the paperwork on it, but I had the guys look it up on the dealer site, and yep it's on. They're is a check the tech has to do, and if it's ok they brace the frame, if not they pay us to strip your bike and put it on a new frame that has the bracing on it
How long do we have to do this? I don't think I'll be riding to the dealer anytime soon unless I can get someone to tow it there for me.

"Me and Max we no like" Valentino Rossi in "Faster"

Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
sonny
Craigslist Champion

I need to make my appointment today. Hopefully I get a new frame out of the deal!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
I need to make my appointment today. Hopefully I get a new frame out of the deal!
Just ride it into a brick wall and your all set...
TPM Coach #71

Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
AfricanBootyScratcher
SLOmar

We got the stuff from Suzuki. If anybody has one of these bikes, give Eddie in service a call and he'll get you in and done
732-671-1073
TPM Coach #673
www.teampromotion.com

MONMOUTH CYCLES
Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda - Kawasaki

656 Highway 35
Middletown, NJ 07748
732-671-1073
www.monmouthcycles.com
Click here for dicount OEM parts

Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

While 'ordinary operation' of the motorcycle does not create a risk of cracking or breakage of the frame, Suzuki has decided voluntarily to conduct this Safety Recall to minimize the potential for frame cracking or breakage in the circumstances described above.”

Enough said, and they're still choosing to go above and beyond...major kudos to Zuk.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
While 'ordinary operation' of the motorcycle does not create a risk of cracking or breakage of the frame, Suzuki has decided voluntarily to conduct this Safety Recall to minimize the potential for frame cracking or breakage in the circumstances described above.”

Enough said, and they're still choosing to go above and beyond...major kudos to Zuk.

Major Kudos? These bikes were built with the intention of racing. These particular models have been braking in half since they rolled off the showroom floor. Some in very hard crashes and some in minor lowsides. Pics of broken frames were on the web as soon as these bikes came out. The welds holding the spars on too the steering head were inferior at best.

Suzuki should have taken action long ago.
TPM Coach #71

Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

I hear you, but like they said in simplest terms, bikes are built with the intent to be raced/ridden without any issues, this isn't about welds failing under normal racing/riding conditions, they're not designed/built to withstand impacts because in their minds bikes aren't meant to be crashed, they're meant to be ridden, that part is only to the benefit of the owner/operator who concerns more added durability, and if you don't like that idea then there are several other major players that build bikes out there of the same caliber, so pick one. However from a street rider's standpoint, it would be nice, to be able to ride your bike home after a minor lowside if you're on your own out in the sticks somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
Major Kudos? These bikes were built with the intention of racing. These particular models have been braking in half since they rolled off the showroom floor. Some in very hard crashes and some in minor lowsides. Pics of broken frames were on the web as soon as these bikes came out. The welds holding the spars on too the steering head were inferior at best.

Suzuki should have taken action long ago.

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'

Old 01-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
tommymac
Heavy Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Revs_17 View Post
I hear you, but like they said in simplest terms, bikes are built with the intent to be raced/ridden without any issues, this isn't about welds failing under normal racing/riding conditions, they're not designed/built to withstand impacts because in their minds bikes aren't meant to be crashed, they're meant to be ridden, that part is only to the benefit of the owner/operator who concerns more added durability, and if you don't like that idea then there are several other major players that build bikes out there of the same caliber, so pick one. However from a street rider's standpoint, it would be nice, to be able to ride your bike home after a minor lowside if you're on your own out in the sticks somewhere.
So thats like cars are built to be driven/ridden too? Guess all the research going into airbags and crash protection is a moot point then. Yuo woul dwant something you know will hold together in the case of a crash or even a minor lowside. hell you want this thing falling apart in your driveway if it gets tipped over.

Tom

Old 01-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Cakes206
The Solution

Send a message via AIM to Cakes206

I think cars and bikes are held to different safety standards. Do they even crash test bikes?

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
High_Revs_17
ron.google.com

They most definitely are indeed held to different standard, the only crash testing I've seen is the airbag application on the Honda Goldwing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes206 View Post
I think cars and bikes are held to different safety standards. Do they even crash test bikes?

'92 Honda CB747-Cafe'