Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > General > General Bike Talk
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Good news for AMA racing.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
RCM78
Tech Nazi

Default Good news for AMA racing.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 18, 2009) - AMA Pro Racing and SPEED announced today an innovative and unprecedented new programming format that will see 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing events, highlight coverage of other AMA Pro disciplines and a variety of in-studio and at-event features showcased every Saturday evening in the AMA Pro Prime Time show on America's leading motorsports television channel.

The 26-week run for AMA Pro Prime Time begins March 21, and will air every Saturday night on SPEED at 10 or 11 p.m. ET (7 or 8 p.m. PT), with each program ranging in length from one to three hours depending on weekly content. The programming schedule will feature flag-to-flag coverage of every 2009 AMA Pro American Superbike and AMA Pro Daytona SportBike race, ample coverage of other AMA Pro Road Racing divisions and select exposure of other motorcycle disciplines under the organization's umbrella.

The race programming will be packaged within a studio show that will offer viewers a variety of features, including in-studio guests, expert analysis, breaking news announcements, motorcycle unveilings and much more. Popular SPEED personality Ralph Sheheen will be the in-studio host for AMA Pro Prime Time while the race coverage team will be anchored by host and play-by-play announcer Leigh Diffey, pit reporter Greg White and a to-be-named analyst.

"This is a landmark day for AMA Pro Racing television in that it combines the best of both worlds for our dedicated fans," said AMA Pro Racing President Roger Edmondson. "For the first time, viewers will know exactly when and where to tune in to not only see AMA Pro Racing but also get the latest news and information through an in-studio component that has rarely been coupled with flag-to-flag racing in the past."

Offering viewers destination television through a regular time slot has worked for numerous sports and entertainment properties in the past but has not been offered in a race event and studio format to U.S. motorcycle racing fans until now.

"This effort was a true collaboration between SPEED and the new leadership at AMA Pro," said SPEED President Hunter Nickell. "We are psyched to be able to deliver weekly appointment television to this extremely passionate audience."

In addition to AMA Pro Prime Time, additional programming on SPEED will see live coverage of the season-opening AMA Pro Daytona SportBike Daytona 200 by Honda under the lights at Daytona International Speedway, Friday, March 6, at 8:30 p.m. ET. The season-opening AMA Pro American Superbike race will be featured in the premiere of AMA Pro Prime Time on March 21.

The competition on AMA Pro Prime Time will include 39 races from both the AMA Pro American Superbike and AMA Pro Daytona SportBike classes that will air within a week or two of the actual events throughout the season.

"We can't recall a previous example of such a multi-faceted motorcycle program and we are honored to move forward with this innovative offering in partnership with our colleagues at SPEED," Edmondson said. "They obviously share our dedication to AMA Pro Racing and we want to thank them for the support as we work together to build the profile and audience of major league motorcycle racing in this country."

The 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing season will begin at Daytona International Speedway the first weekend in March. The weekend will be highlighted by the first Daytona 200 by Honda under the lights, Friday, March 6, for the AMA Pro Daytona SportBike division. The Daytona kick-off will also feature AMA Pro American Superbike competition and races for additional AMA Pro Road Racing championships.
AMA Pro Racing is the premier professional motorcycle racing organization in North America, operating a full schedule of events and championships for a variety of motorcycle disciplines. From its Daytona Beach headquarters, the organization operates and manages AMA Pro Road Racing, which includes AMA Pro American Superbike, AMA Pro Daytona SportBike, AMA Pro SuperSport and AMA Pro SunTrust Moto-GT. AMA Pro Racing also manages and works closely with the day-to-day operational organizations of the AMA Pro Flat Track Championship and the AMA Pro Supermoto Championship Series in addition to other two-wheel and ATV series. Learn more about AMA Pro Racing at www.amaproracing.com.
TPM Coach #71

Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
lateapex
Skid Mark

This is what the AMA needed a weekly show showcase the races and to fill the gaps between races. Weekly show bring sponsors to the show which can translate to sponsorship at the track and that all equals more money getting dumped into the sport.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #929

"It's so much better goin' nowhere fast"

Stickers: See Chris at http://www.drippinwet.com

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

You actually think this is good news?
They won't be showing the SUPERBIKE race until March 21.
How is this good? A same day or next day broadcast is okay, live is better.
To show the races a week or more after they occur in a pre-packaged
format with tons of extra commentary that I really don't want to see
will not be an improvement to my eyes, and I probably won't bother watching.

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

I wonder what NASCAR will say about that. I mean, what will the US viewers do withouth being able to watch 100% NASCAR all the time? I do enjoy watching the drivers go food shopping and go bowling in between races though.... Never mind that they've just about abandoned TWO-WHEEL Tuesdays.
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
CBRBob
A 37 Production

10pm Sat nighs, swell. Think you might be doing something else?

TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils

Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
opinion914
White Group Rulez!

Not exactly primetime but i'll bite.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
lateapex
Skid Mark

American SUPERBIKE is not the prime class, Daytona superbike (600's) is and that will be live. DMG made is clear that this is the prime class and their prime focus. So the 1000's and the sportbike races are not live just backs that point up. Not that I agree but it's not my show to run.

As for the time slot, anything is better then the randomness we had last year. If the show is on the same time every week non bike people are more likely to watch it. We'll find races no matter where or when they are but the non race people need something consistent, like their favorite TV series. DMG target audience is not us, we are already hooked, they need to get the non bike people involved hopefully this will. Realize this is just the first step, if it works next year they get a better time slot, more air time and more live races.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #929

"It's so much better goin' nowhere fast"

Stickers: See Chris at http://www.drippinwet.com

Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
breeze
Up Chuck

i have mixed feelings about this.......... for the die hards true riders i think this stinks a bit but the flip side is i think it will introduce new people to the sport that we have come to love.......
C.C.S.#323
METRIC DEVIL MOTO RACING
supported by: TPM/Heroic/Pirelli/Penske/Full Spectrum

Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
IrocRob
Throttle Lock

The Daytona 200 will be "LIVE" - Not the rest of the season.
And it looks like the 200 will be delayed a little, about 1/2 hour I think...

A regular show is fine, but I'm not going to be watching 2-3 week old races.
DMG can call the "Daytona Sportbikes" the "prime" class all they want, it just ain't so.

...Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Maximum Speed...

Last edited by IrocRob; 02-19-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
NYCSTRIPES
Meatball's Daddy

Thank goodness for DVR's
2003 TL1000R #489
1998 Valkyrie cruiser

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session....-Mark Twain

Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
FDNYDANO18
Lieutenant Dan

All braodcasts with the exception of the Daytona Neuterbike 200 will be delayed 1 to 2 WEEKS......

makes sence to me seeing as DMG wants motorcycle racing in america to DIE and not interfere with NASCARs market saturation.....

OTHER than that I'm psyked!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
RCM78
Tech Nazi

I love this place. The vibe is SO positive...

Ya bunch of angry crotchety old bastards...
TPM Coach #71

Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
FDNYDANO18
Lieutenant Dan

Sorry.... but it is what it is

Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
opinion914
White Group Rulez!

AMA gayMA, Will the WSBK and MotoGP coverage be presented on a more reasonable timeline?

RoadRacing World should be happy, they're articles on the races will actually come at or around the time the race is being aired

Old 02-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
CBRBob
A 37 Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
I love this place. The vibe is SO positive...

Ya bunch of angry crotchety old bastards...
Ahhh, go fail a bike at tech
TPM Certified Coach#29
TeamPromotion
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoach and Site Coordinator @CCM & RVCC
RiderEd of NJ Inc.

Cakes206:fuck the devils