Washington Cycle Works

Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

Old 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #16
gottaducati
Gear Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice86
Finish losing the last 30-35lbs, not bite my nails anymore and now quitting smoking.
sounds to me like you have an oral fixation. you have to find something else to do with your mouth. chew gum or carry around bottled water and chug when you have the urge to smoke or bite a nail or even eat.

according to your last post, you associate "clearing your head" with having a cig. in order to change that behavior you have to associate "clearing your head" with something different. maybe clearing your head can be relearned to be associated with going for a walk outside or doing some pushups or sitting on a bench and drinking a bottle of water - or whatever you want. maybe "clearing your head" is too rooted in having a cig so you'll have to change your practice of "clearing your head" and now start "getting some air". now when you are "getting some air" you are still clearing your head but not smoking... you get the idea. essentially you have to start breaking your mental associations to cigs and you wont go back to it.

dont get discouraged. there is no set formula that if you were to follow steps a-z you will quit. each person has to find and undo their own behavior patterns related to smoking once they have overcome the physical addiction. its not easy but it can be done. stay focused and positive and good luck ..

i sound like rob schneider from the adam sandler movies
YOU CAN DO IT

Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Rev
Moder-Snookie-ator

Send a message via AIM to Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaducati
sounds to me like you have an oral fixation. you have to find something else to do with your mouth. chew gum or carry around bottled water and chug when you have the urge to smoke or bite a nail or even eat.

according to your last post, you associate "clearing your head" with having a cig. in order to change that behavior you have to associate "clearing your head" with something different. maybe clearing your head can be relearned to be associated with going for a walk outside or doing some pushups or sitting on a bench and drinking a bottle of water - or whatever you want. maybe "clearing your head" is too rooted in having a cig so you'll have to change your practice of "clearing your head" and now start "getting some air". now when you are "getting some air" you are still clearing your head but not smoking... you get the idea. essentially you have to start breaking your mental associations to cigs and you wont go back to it.

dont get discouraged. there is no set formula that if you were to follow steps a-z you will quit. each person has to find and undo their own behavior patterns related to smoking once they have overcome the physical addiction. its not easy but it can be done. stay focused and positive and good luck ..

YOU CAN DO IT

Well said....he does have an oral fixation...i think Mr. James Mcgreevy could have vice on his "cabinet"...(literally)

Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
vice86
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaducati

YOU CAN DO IT
very good break down! Good thing I'm not ghey...i mean wiht that oral fixation and all...lol.

True...i need to find other ways to calm myself down when I'm aggrivated at work....maybe a quick work jerk session in the bathroom...I don't know.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #19
SAXON117
Free Rides On A Silverback

Send a message via AIM to SAXON117 Send a message via Yahoo to SAXON117
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Congrats on quiting.

That takes a lot of will power.
I quit smoking about 8 months ago, I had no problem, but I have to admit I never really got hooked on them, and I never smoked a lot a pack would last me a week.

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
Taz
Hurricane Katina

Send a message via AIM to Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon
I quit smoking about 8 months ago, I had no problem, but I have to admit I never really got hooked on them, and I never smoked a lot a pack would last me a week.

That's great you quit before it became a problem. I think if someone wants to quit they need to quit for themselves not anyone else. You also can't push someone to quit. Everyone has habits some better then others.

~No good deed goes unpunished~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ
Tina, you could have just ended that sentence with " I'm the smart one"...but we already knew that.
http://profile.myspace.com/Tazg24

Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #21
Ant
Kung Fu Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
nice try..but you can't counteract cancer =p
I bet I have better aerobic fitness then most on this board though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes
That'll make ya crap where ya stand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
gixxer...cage....it's like kicking me in the balls

Old 06-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #22
SAXON117

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
I bet I have better aerobic fitness then most on this board though.

He want's to be Ant Armstrong, instead of nut cancer, he'll bike with lung!

Just bustin LOL

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
Kennedy
Cake Cop

Send a message via AIM to Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Try going out at the time you would to take a cig break and just breath some fresh air, try a new habit such as tooth picks of straw chewing just to keep your mind off of it.

Doesn't anyone watch Rescue Me
Bitches read my shit

THE WICKED FLEE WHEN NO MAN PURSUETH BUT THE RIGHTEOUS ARE BOLD AS A LION

Old 06-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #24
SAXON117

Quote:
Bitches read my shit
never seen the show

10-08-07 R.I.P. 109
12-06-07 R.I.P. Jack

Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #25
vice86
Skid Mark

Quote:
Bitches read my shit
lol...i did read it...just didn't reply to it...but I took note of your post! It is indeed hard walking out to get lunch and NOT have that pre-lunch cig.

Back in my 300+ lbs days...I used to get a pre-dinner Whopper.