Go Back   Sportbike Addicts | Two Wheels... Our Drug of Choice > Miscellaneous > Off Topic
FAQ Members List Member Gallery Calendar Today's Posts Donate

relationship rant
Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Default relationship rant

The ladies out there are welcome to chime on this as well. I want to know if I'm really way off here!

My wife is a home maker and I work. When I come home from work, I'm on duty with our 15 month old until he goes to sleep. This varies between 9:30 and 11:30.

In the past few months I've started playing one of those free MMRPGs. I used to play mostly on weekends until i started playing at night after everyone is asleep because my weekends seem to always be taken with plans here or there.

Of course this means I don't go to bed until 2 or 3am. I have work in the morning, but I carpool with a friend, and my two alarms on my cell phone always get me up on time. I don't whine to her when and if I get tired.

Now she's complaining that she doesn't like going to sleep by herself all the time, when the original plan we had was that she would go to sleep "early" while I stay up with our boy so she can get up in the morning when I'm getting ready for work!

I'm using my own time (the only one I have to myself), and I'm getting annoying statements!

Should I be responsible that my second half doesn't sleep well when I don't occupy the 25% of the bed left to me while she's sleeping?

The only compromise left for me to make is to either stop playing a game I enjoy or play fewer times during the week. Other than the fact that I don't want to compromise on this 'cause I'm already sacrificing my own sleep and nothing else, weekends aren't even an option because I usually help out in watching my son since she does it all week.

Am I missing something here?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Brian78
Bitter Bowler

your married with a kid, no time is your time anymore. put down the video game and grow up.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #300
CCS AM #300

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR6 View Post
your married with a kid, no time is your time anymore. put down the video game and grow up.
Should people stop riding too just because they get married and have a kid?

In my case, I'm in between bikes due to financial reasons.

...and being grown up is a relative term.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
duc748pilot
chicken wing

sorta with brian, spend some time with your wife. just my opinion

Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
CORNBREAD
Short Shifter

I have G.I Joe's to sell you.

Seriously grow the fuck up. You are married with a kid and you're upset that you can't play video games? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
jcblitz
Having Troubles w/His Wood

Every once in a while my wife complains that I don't go to bed with her too, but she's a teacher and is out by 9:30 - 10pm during the school year. I have a sleeping issue that I can't fall asleep/don't sleep well so trying to go to bed at that time is out of the question. So basically I just lay in bed for 20 minutes and read until she falls asleep and then get up and go play some COD4 or something until I get sleepy.

I don't know the ins and outs of your day, but it doesn't sound like your using your parenting time to play games, just your wife falling asleep time. So it's not a matter of not spending time with your wife (she's going to bed anyway) and your parenting duties are already taken care of (I assume he's sleeping too) so just try what I do.

Knowledge is free. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Minarchism

Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Tonupboy
Burnout

Send a message via AIM to Tonupboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tonupboy

I agree bro - with some - balance is key here...spend more time with wifey and kids man - nothing beats quality time. But yes, "me time" is also important too - I suggest you get a quick FPS game like COD4 - RPG wont cut it for me because they take way too much time. I know its weird, but it works for me. I get to smash they wifey away when she feels like it and Im able to sneak in a couple of COD4 matches....

"That which does not become a part of the one, shall become one with the void."
http://www.myspace.com/b0nghit
Allegiance: None
Function: Universal Dominator

Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
carl_g

Send a message via AIM to carl_g Send a message via Yahoo to carl_g

What is a 15 month old kid doing up @9:30 to 11:30 PM.
Kids that old require almost 12 hours of sleep.

OCCR
RIP AJ600M

Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
JasonB
.doosh

Send a message via AIM to JasonB Send a message via Yahoo to JasonB

I would do what jc said. Get in the bed with her till she falls asleep, then get up and play your games...also, that baby should be in the bed at 8pm if not earlier.

Im married goin on 11 years (i think...lol) and I sometimes fall asleep in the basement all night. But compromise...work something out... just my .02
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~ View Post
Jason is one good looking black man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Donna~Today 04:29 PM
you are a hot black man in my book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
but instead i"m sitting in an airport internet chatting with a two bald men, one former gangbanger who drives a volvo and the other who thinks he's monk
1999 Red Kawasaki ZX6R – Sold
2001 Black and Silver GSX-R1000 - Sold
2007 Blue GSXR 600 - Sold
2006 Black GSXR 600 – Sold
2008 Blue and Orange Yamaha R6 – Current track bike
TPM/Nesba #819

Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblitz View Post
I don't know the ins and outs of your day, but it doesn't sound like your using your parenting time to play games, just your wife falling asleep time. So it's not a matter of not spending time with your wife (she's going to bed anyway) and your parenting duties are already taken care of (I assume he's sleeping too) so just try what I do.
This is exactly the case. It's not that I don't spend time with them. I just do my own stuff when they're both asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNBREAD View Post
I have G.I Joe's to sell you.

Seriously grow the fuck up. You are married with a kid and you're upset that you can't play video games? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
I'm not upset that I can't play. I do play... but when everyone is asleep. My wife is the one upset that I'm awake when she's asleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ism409 View Post
What is a 15 month old kid doing up @9:30 to 11:30 PM.
Kids that old require almost 12 hours of sleep.
He does get a lot of sleep. On normal nights he goes to sleep around 9:30. I don't want him going to sleep at 8pm, because I get home from work at about 7pm. He's teething right now, so his normal schedule is on and off, sometimes he wakes up a from a nap a little bit before I get home, that's when he goes to sleep later.

He sleeps about 10 hours at night, and about 6 throughout the day between his 2 naps.

I'm a night person, when I'm not playing computer/video games, it's something else. Even when I have to do real work from home at nights where there are issues (IT) , she's not happy.

P.S. I do have COD4. I play that sometimes when friends are online after my son goes to sleep or while he plays.

Last edited by SilverDragon; 07-10-2008 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
mowshweettea
Short Shifter

eh im on marriage number 2 and the key is balance. saying you want and need me time never works, try what everyone else said. lay there till shes out and then go do your thing thats what I do. no offense to the ladies but most are needy like that and need the closeness i guess you could say

Eric

2005 Honda CBR 1000RR

Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

and she's a light sleeper...

but I'll try following the suggestion to go to bed with her, which I can already see will mean that I'll pass out too.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
mowshweettea
Short Shifter

yeah that happens... but if you can actually get out of bed think of the free time lol

Eric

2005 Honda CBR 1000RR

Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Shelly
Skid Mark

Send a message via AIM to Shelly

Hmm...I think there needs to be some balance overall and generally speaking with all things....but aren't YOU the one juggling work, helping her take care of baby, paying the bills,etc. while she sits at home...I think she needs to be fair in giving you some of YOUR time to yourself back and if it means after your responsibilities are done at the end of the day to game while they're sleeping...so be it. I think this is reasonable.

I don't think being deceptive and going to sleep w/ her then getting up later is the right move...wanna cause a fight? seriously....My 5 cents. Hope it helps.

"Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth."-- Ken Blanchard

Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
SilverDragon
Veruca Salt

Well, we had a quick chat about it when I got home yesterday. She says she's fine with me staying up as long as I don't stay up too late (like I've been doing recently).

Basically I have a curfew to be in bed; I don't mind that too much, especially since I do have to get up for work the next day.

Quote:
Hmm...I think there needs to be some balance overall and generally speaking with all things....but aren't YOU the one juggling work, helping her take care of baby, paying the bills,etc. while she sits at home...I think she needs to be fair in giving you some of YOUR time to yourself back and if it means after your responsibilities are done at the end of the day to game while they're sleeping...so be it. I think this is reasonable.
Shelly, that's exactly where I was coming from, but it's not like she just "sits" at home though.

In any case, things seems to be back to normal in paradise until I forget the time and stay up until 3am again.